The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 24, 2018, 11:00 AM   #26
Skans

I typically pocket carry. I do this because of the style of cloths I wear - tucked in shirt, etc. But, I will be the first to acknowledge the drawbacks of pocket carry, which I have found to be as follows:

1. Limitation in size/caliber of weapon. I pocket carry 3 guns: 1) Diamondback DB9; 2) Boberg XR9S; and 3) STI LS40. I have special pocket holsters that permits me to carry them without printing and which assist some in deployment.

2. If you are sitting down at a table, like in a restaurant, you will not be able to access your gun without first standing up - don't even bother trying.

3. Pocket carrying wears out pockets

4. Pocket carry doesn't give you much room to carry wallet, keys and cellphone.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:47 PM   #27
OneFreeTexan

Slightly off topic, but still a small point... For 30 yrs I wore a suit and carried a 38 Special snubby in a shoulder holster. When things started to look dicey, I crossed my arms with one hand on the gun.
Now that I am retired, I still enjoy wearing sport jackets, love all the pockets for cell phone, etc.. and still use a shoulder holster.....probably my fifth or sixth one.
If it works.....use it.!
Old May 24, 2018, 09:05 PM   #28
BigBL87

Pocket carry is not my first choice. 95% of the time I carry a Shield IWB as my wardrobe tends to work well with that. The 5% when that is not the case (usually in dress clothes) I carry my LCP II in a Desantis Superfly holster. As others have noted, it's not as quick to deploy for sure. With that being the case, it's also better than a pointed stick.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:44 PM   #29
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I only wish I had pockets to carry in...

When you're a bloated fat-boy-tubby-gut, that can't fit in anything but sweatpants, that puts the lid on where you can carry.

I'm even too fat for those elastic waist band holsters .

I'm trying though...down 61 pounds since Jan 1st.
Halfway almost to my immediate goal.
Hal, congratulations on the loss. Sixty pounds is a pretty big deal and you're already past it. While you're on the journey, clothing that adjusts to changes in size like sweatpants will be pretty comfortable. In the meantime, the internet has really opened things up for the "big and tall" market. I've seen all sorts of designs offered in plus sizes, including pleated slacks and cargo pants with specially sewn stretch waists for fluctuation. It's worth looking around, for any of us who have trouble finding a good fit at the local store. Getting the right pants is as much an issue for concealed carry as the right belt, holster, or firearm.
Old May 25, 2018, 03:43 AM   #30
Hal

Cos,
Thanks!
Right now & for the next 6 months or so, my clothing situation is in a state of flux.
I retired close to 7 years ago & my activity level dropped. I quit smoking 4 years ago & piled on over 100 pounds. I'm getting within sight of the weight I was at before the massive gain, but, I still have a big flap of flab that I can't shed.
Exercise is very limited - in addition to the weight, I have end stage COPD, which really limits my physical ability.
Bottom line here is - the inches are much slower to come off than the weight.

Sweats suit me fine for the time being, since they accommodate the changes my gut is going through. Being retired, I don't have to worry about what I wear & sweats are fine there also.

On the good side - I'm closing in on my pre-blimp weight & as I do, my level of exercise & breathing is improving. I'm withing striking distance of being able to fit back into some of my regular clothes.

I don't want to lay out money for cloths I'll only be able to wear for a short time.
Thanks though for the info & the encouragement!
Old May 25, 2018, 08:47 PM   #31
tallball

Best wishes for Hal.

Just to add another detail...

If I know for sure that I'm not going to be sitting down, say if I'm walking the dog, a snub 38 with a small grip fits perfectly in my back right pocket and is quick to draw. It's faster and easier to get to than a front pocket, IMHO.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:42 PM   #32
1MoreFord

I've only carried mouse phart guns pocket carry. I've got a NAA .22LR and a Seecamp .32ap. The NAA goes into the RF pocket and the Seecamp goes in the R back pocket in holsters. I need to find better carry pants and move to bigger pistols like the my LCP and P290RS.