The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2001, 08:03 PM   #1
JL Hunnicutt

I am presently loading with a RCBS Jr. single stage press with an automatic primer feed. I am seriously considering the RCBS turret. I mainly load 100-200 rds at a time of several pistol calibers. I do not like progressives, as I do not load enough to warrant one, moreover, the extra cost associated with the extra shell-plates, etc. does not appeal to me. What kind of time-savings would be realized if I went with the aforementioned turret instead of my present single stage? Are turret presses prone to misalignment problems? The design of turret presses, in general, seems to be an inherently a weak one. If used as a semi-progressive, each reloaded cartridge would involve "shifting-gears" four times. How does the RCBS turret lock-up? What kind of detents are used for locking and how quickly would "play" appear as a result of wear of those detents. Thanks for your time and comments.