The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
adrians

primer question--- interchangeability

My Marlin 1894 in 32-20 likes light loads using small rifle primers BUT i'm running short on these primers and getting more might be a while so my ? is,,,,, can I use small pistol primers for my plinking loads until I get my grubby hands on some rifle primers ?...
Old October 8, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
serf 'rett

Not a good idea.

My reading leads me to believe pistol primers may have thinner cup material, so you would be at risk from blown primers.

I have heard of small rifle being used in place of small pistol in pistol cartridges, but haven't heard of using small pistol in place of small rifle in rifle cartridges. Not a two way street.

I would not recommend trying this.

Someone will be along shortly with more working knowledge than me.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
adrians

Thanks serf, I was afraid that was the case but because the 32-20 is also a pistol cartridge I thought it would be o.k ,,,,,, glad I asked.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
KeifB

What does your reloading manual show? First place to look.... And cabelas.com has various primers in stock for at least the last 2 weeks, maybe longer...
Old October 8, 2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
And Cabelas.com has various primers in stock for at least the last 2 weeks, maybe longer...
That's what I was thinking. I go to Sportmen's every Thursday, and I've been seeing CCI 400's quite a bit lately. Primers are getting quite a bit easier to find.

I'm no expert either, but as I understand it, pistol primer cups are thinner and rifle strikers can (or will?) pierce them.
Old October 8, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
adrians

I have several Lyman and older Ideal cast load books (I only shoot cast in all my rifles) and of-course they all say small rifle primers but recommend Winchester but I use cci, anyway i'll just finish up my 100 or so of what I have left and in the meantime will feverishly look for some more,,,

cabelas.com ,,, will give them a looksee

Thanks guys for your input and help..
Old October 8, 2013, 09:15 PM   #7
myfriendis410

You might have problems using pistol primers, depending on the load, setback, pressure, etc. but then again for a plinking load you may not. I know one guy who shoots sillhouette with a 32-20 in a Contender and he uses pistol primers. Keep in mind though that he is loading very soft loads in a gun with a light spring. Only CAREFUL experimentation will show. It simply depends on the load and your platform.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:52 PM   #8
overthere

adrians, here are some places with small rifle primers of various brands in stock:

Winchester at Recobs target shop:
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,152.html

Remington at Midsouth shooters:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0015022606

Tula at Midsouth shooters:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00112KVB223

Remington benchrest primers at Midsouth shooters:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0015022628

Wolf magnum primers at AmmunitionStore.com:
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/produ...-shipping.html

Tula at powdervalley (no direct link, you need to browse to the primers section):
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

If you have not bought primers online before, be aware there is typically a $27.50 Hazmat surcharge in addition to shipping costs so buying in bulk is typically the way to spread that cost over a large number of primers.

The Wolf primers at AmmunitionStore says free shipping, if the free shipping means the hazmat charge is included in the cost that makes it a somewhat decent deal (given the circumstances). I have had very good results with Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers, of course when I bought them they were $16/1000 from Wideners (pre-panic).
Old October 8, 2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Sport45

You mentioned plinking loads. If you look at Hodgdon's online data for .32-20 pistol you will find they use SP primers.