The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
radarlarry

Both pawls are loose!

Hi, I couldn't find another post with my problem, so started a new thread. Hope it's OK. Less than 100 rounds thru of .45 ACP. Noticed that cases weren't lining up with resize/decapper die... had to tilt the case a bit to get it to line up. Also OAL and width dimensions are not consistent. Looked at the pawls and the have both come loose. I can follow the pawl adjustment instructions in the manual, but that assumes they are closely adjusted at the factory. I don't have any idea how to start from scratch. Kind of hard to call Hornady since their customer service hours are the same as most people's work hours. Don't you think maybe 4 hours of tech support on Saturdays would be a great help to their customers?. That's really my only complaint about Hornady. Any help from you experienced reloaders would be greatly appreciated!
Old June 24, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2
pastortim

when the shellplate index's does it stop at the detents?

if the shellplate is not advancing far enough to settle into the detents then the pawls need to be adjusted

if the shellplate is reaching the detents then there is something else going on

is the shellplate tight?

is there dirt, gunpowder, or anything under the shellplate preventing it from properly indexing?

which shellplate are you using for 45acp i know the information says either a #1 or a #45 will work with 45acp but, the #1 is somewhat problematic, the #45 works much much better

is this alignment problem happening on every case or occasionally?

i find it hard to believe that the pawls would be out on a brand new press, i guess it is not impossible but i would check everything else first

good luck, hope this helps, keep us posted
Old June 24, 2012, 02:25 AM   #3
radarlarry

Yes. Using #45 shellplate. I have to advance a bit by hand to hear the click. I have fiddeled with the pawls so much that they are hopelessly screwed up. The alignment problem was happening every time. I can tell by looking that it's off by a good quarter inch. No amount of adjusting seems to change anything. Took it all apart and cleaned everything and changed the shell retainer spring... no help. Just when I thought everything was going great...
Old June 24, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
NESHOOTER

start with the pawl that advances the shellpress plate to ensure it advances it properly with a die in place to ensure it centers properly then do the other. I also put locktite blue on it as to prevent it from moving out of ajustment.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:44 AM   #5
pastortim

i would suggest getting a glass of iced tea or cup of coffee, set down in front of the press with tools close, when you have some uninterrupted time, call hornady and have the technician talk you through adjusting the pawls.

hornady customer service is great, and the couple of times i have called them they were glad to help

good luck, dont give up, the LNL is a great press i have over 10,000 45acp's through mine without a blink, the only problems i have had were caused by me not paying attention or not reading instructions