The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
rejackson

load data for flat point bullets, 45ACP

Hi,

First, I thought I posted this already but I cannot find it. Sorry if this is a dup.

I am using Berry's 185gr 45ACP Flat points. I have Bullseye and Unique powders. The Lee book for jacketed bullets says OAL should be 1.275 for both powders. No data for flat points. It seems very long, it is the max OAL for 45ACP. I am bothered that the bullet shape doesn't leave enough bullet in the case and the flat points might not feed at that length.

Is there a good source (maybe you) of data for using flat points?
Old April 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Adamantium

Here is the best advice that can be given on OAL, it is from Accurates reloading manual,

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only. The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination. This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

So in reality the most important thing about OAL is that it functions in your weapon and you use it in your load work up. A smart reloader treats OAL like he/she would treat a primer or powder. If you are going to change it, work up a new load for it.

But if you are a new reloader and simply want a number to accept, I have used Berry's 200 grain flat points with an OAL of 1.18" and it works just fine all the way up to max load with Bullseye and Green Dot (in my gun of course).
Old April 15, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

I recently loaded up some 185gr SWC in .45 ACP, and I had to go all the way down to 1.125" to get them to feed *almost* reliably. That OAL left just a smidge of the full-diameter portion of the bullet outside the case mouth.

Even at that length, I still had 2 or 3 failures to go into battery out of 100 rounds. I've switched to 230 gr LRN until the gun is broken in a bit more.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:15 AM   #4
bossman

I run Berry's 185 HBRN at 1.25 col and it's a very light load for 4.9 gr of Bullseye. I would think if you run the 185 FP at a lower col than 1.25 say a 1.20 or so 4.8 of Bullseye would be my starting point. Very accurate load and they ran an average of 774 FPS. It cycled all my 45's.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Edward429451

I used to run a Colorado Cast Bullet 225 LFP and seated it to 1.190 and fed it 5.5 WW-231 and it ran fine.