The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2011, 07:16 AM   #1
tynimiller

Mossberg 195D-B stole it pretty much...now curious?

Went into a LGS to get a .44 blackpowder pistol looked at (inherited it for free two days ago)...and 20 minutes later I walked out with a $53otd Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge model 195d-b. At the price he offered to give it to me I couldn't resist, it's clean operational but does need a magazine (no biggy already got a hold of two).

Anyone have or ever have one of these? I'd always wanted a good 20gauge for when I finally have kids old enough to start plunking deer, but the 12 would just be too much...shoot I'll probably even use it some, seeing as how we don't even have kids yet!

Couple questions:

-What slugs did you guys find your's preferred? Or what 20 gauge slugs do you guys recommend for a smoothbore (only shot my rifled Mossberg 500 till now)?

-Any thing I should know about the 195d-b? Were any pieces known for problems?
Old November 30, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2
gopguy

Quote:
Any thing I should know about the 195d-b? Were any pieces known for problems?
Just being under appreciated. Great old shotguns.
Old November 30, 2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not glamorous, not ideal, but there's a lot of happy owners of Mossberg bolt actions out there.

My experience with 20 gauge slugs is not as great as with 12s, but the Rottweil Brenekke in 20 gauge is as effective as a 12.

Do try sundry slugs and go with the most accurate....