The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 17, 2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Lee McNelly

money to Italy or Euro

why send money to europe if u can by a good gun from us? Some of u claim that the ruger ol army is one if not the best made and accurate and still being sold buy them or other guns
Old August 17, 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Hawg

Because the Ruger is not based on anything that existed historically. I wouldn't have one. Besides they're out of production now.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
MJN77

Quote:
why send money to europe if u can by a good gun from us? Some of u claim that the ruger ol army is one if not the best made and accurate and still being sold buy them or other guns
Most BP lovers want to shoot something historical, even if only in design. The U.S. manufacturers making such things, charge 2-3 times more than the Italians do, for comparable quality. Not everyone can afford $1200 for a revolver (Colt, U.S. Firearms), but $400 (Uberti/Colt clone) isn't so bad. As far as function, the Colt won't do anything that the Uberti can't. Besides, the people that import the guns to this country (Taylor's/Cimarron) are Americans, so I do not "feel bad" buying from them. Buying American is well and good, if you can find what you want/need for a decent price/quality. Also like Hawg said, the Ruger isn't even close to historical.

Last edited by MJN77; August 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old August 17, 2011, 05:35 PM   #4
arcticap

Most folks would love to see a US company step up to the plate and introduce an affordable cap & ball revolver.
And some folks who already do own a Ruger Old Army still want to be able to collect and fire other C&B models and most all are from Europe.
Some day more of them may be made on yet another continent but for now Italy is where most all of the current manufacturers are, and they have a long tradition of manufacturing black powder guns.
The Europeans have bought and continue to buy a lot of American guns and products in return.
Every country has their niche products that allow them to be a major player in the world economy and marketplace. I think that as consumers we tend to favor our allies more than others, especially the NATO countries. They allow us to have military bases all over Europe for our exclusive use even if they happen to disagree with our military policies, all in exchange for our nuclear umbrella. For that we do try to share trade with our allies in arms. And they've become pretty good at mass producing economically priced C&B revolvers. As long as their prices & products continue to satisfy then I doubt that anything will change much in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by arcticap; August 17, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:03 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I think you said the most important word . . "affordable". A lot of folks haven't got a lot of spare cash these days. The italian revolvers allow them to get in to the hobby cheaply - I say this in comparison to what a good vintage Colt or S & W cartridge gun costs . . . plus, they use them new fangled cartridges. If a person looks hard enough, they'll come up with an Italian repro. that is used and priced even more reasonably than new price at Cabelas and such . . .

And, as mentioned, the "historical" aspect plays a big part of it as well. If I was strictly a target shooter (a serious one), then I'd consider a Ruger if they were still in production - which they aren't. However, I also love the historical aspect of the repros as well . . no, they might not be 100% in duplication, but they are the closest you're gonna get for one that's a shooter . . .

I would certainly buy "American" IF there was a company producing a historically accurate model that was high quality at a reasonable price. I have a number of moder cartridge handguns, Colt, Ruger, S & W (most of them "vintage") and I only have one that is foreign made.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 18, 2011, 12:29 AM   #6
62coltnavy

And then there is the fact that even the Colt reproductions of black powder arms were built from parts manufactured in Italy and assembled in the US. Then go to gunbroker or gunsamerica and see what people want for a "real" Colt Series Two or Three--usually $800 and up. The price is all in the name, not the product. The only other option is a real antique--and those in wroking conditionstrat at around $1200 and after that the syy's the limit (an original Colt Wlaker from the family of the Texas Ranger to whom it was issued, in absolute mit condition, sold for nearly $1Million a couple of years ago.)