The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2011, 10:02 PM   #26
Clark

Per Varmint Al, I put dies in the mini lathe, spin them, and poke a Q-tip up inside with FLITZ on it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 22, 2011, 12:15 AM   #27
publius

I disassemble my dies periodically, especially if some dirty cases have been run through and clean them just like my guns. Ed's Red solvent and plastic brisleted bore brush and patches. Light oiling every time i touch them.
Old May 22, 2011, 02:17 AM   #28
Volucris

Most brake cleaners for sale still are non-chlorinated. Chlorine makes it a stronger solvent but your genealogy will thank you for not modifying your epigenetics through toxicity exposure. Halogenated solvents are incredibly bad for living things.

I prefer Simple Green then a wash with dish soap and water. Hand dry (air dry will lead to rust) then apply CLP. Inside of dies such as sizing dies are just wiped dry and sprayed with Hornady One Shot spray lubricant (works great for smaller caliber cases like 223. Does not work well for big ones like 308).