The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 6, 2009, 08:57 AM   #26
NRAhab

It's a tank. It's an absolute tank of a gun, and I mean that in the most endearing, loving way possible. The internal lockwork is a lot simpler than S&W revolvers, meaning it's a lot more "home gunsmith" friendly. My only complaint about the one I had was that the single action trigger wasn't great, but hey, it's a double action revolver! If you shoot it single action, you're doing it wrong.
Old November 6, 2009, 09:22 AM   #27
The Deuce

LOL... Yah I must concur.. VERY NICE REVOLVER !! But then again I am VERY PARTIAL to my Ruger Super Alaskan Redhawk (.454 casull/.45LC) .. Just an all around delicious Gun..

But, I love any and ALL RUGER REVOLVERS !!
Old November 6, 2009, 10:11 AM   #28
roaddog28

To add to my post earlier if I had to sell all of my guns except for four of them one of the ones I would keep would be my Police Service six. Simple, strong and effective. One of the best all around revolvers.
roaddog28
Old November 6, 2009, 11:42 AM   #29
Hard Ball

An excellent revolver
Old November 6, 2009, 05:21 PM   #30
Ivan

There was a US Government test of Police .38 and .357 revolvers several decades ago. At the time, the GP100 was either new or had not come out yet. The Security-Six was one of the few medium weight revolvers to survive without issues if I remember right. Most of the other guns did not. The heavy N-Frame Smiths also survived. The K-Frames didn't. These are excellent guns, though I don't think the GP100s are any worse, just different.

- Ivan.
Old November 6, 2009, 09:49 PM   #31
brentf

Very nice gun
Old November 6, 2009, 11:28 PM   #32
sp-train-77

Quote:
I have found a used security six in a local shop. I want to know how well were these models made.
They are lousy, rotten, terrible guns. They don't shoot straight and fall apart in your holster. I am so concerned about your buying one that I am volunteering to fly immediately to your local gun shop and but that hunk-a-junk just to save you from yourself.

Really...

I'm only doing this for your own good...

So where is it? ;=}

P.S. You CANNOT go wrong with a Security Six or any of its cousins...

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin
Old November 7, 2009, 09:50 PM   #33
chronic

I went to a gun show for a short time today and they had one on the table. I can't remember for sure but the price seemed pretty good, maybe in the 2 hundreds or maybe three. Wish I had read this thread earlier.
Old November 8, 2009, 12:44 PM   #34
ghalleen

I've had the snubby Security Six for probably 20 years now. It's a great gun, but a bit too big and heavy for me to carry all the time. Great shooter, though!

For carry, I prefer my Colt Defender 1911 or one of my Taurus .357s.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:02 AM   #35
Frizzman

I have a 4" SS stainless I bought in 1977. It was the first handgun I ever bought. I "settled" for the SS because it was cheaper and more available than the S&W M66 that I really wanted. I still have that revolver and still carry and shoot it. It has had thousands of rounds that ran from very light wadcutter .38's to the hottest .357 mags through it. It is as tight and shoots as well as when new. I carried it when I was a city patrolman in the 70's and 80's. Its the last handgun I would ever get rid of if I could only have one. BUY IT!!!
Old November 9, 2009, 12:08 AM   #36
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six (all different variations of the same gun), are excellent revolvers and the toughest in the world. They could take more abuse than their contemporaries (Colt Python, Colt MK III Trooper, S&W M19) and still function.

I carried a Security Six by choice (over the S&W M19 or M67).
Old November 9, 2009, 10:26 AM   #37
Webleymkv

Excellet revolvers that are sought out and hoarded by those who know and love them. They are stronger than a S&W K-Frame while still smaller, lighter, and sleeker than a S&W L-Frame or GP-100. In my experience (one Police Service Six of my Dad's and one Security Six of my brother's), the trigger isn't quite as good as a S&W but it is typically better than a GP100 or SP101. The going price on one lately is about the same as a comparable S&W K-Frame Magnum.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:40 AM   #38
Melissa5

+1 on the trigger being better than the GP100 and SP101.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:37 PM   #39
GeauxTide

I've owned 19, 66, 27, and 28 Smiths. The SS that I owned would take hotter loads, effortlessly. It was a tank.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:47 PM   #40
Firepower!

When compare it to GP100 who come on top? A used security six or gp 100 new?
Old November 9, 2009, 12:53 PM   #41
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I've never owned or cracked open a GP100 or SP101 but an easy hammer spring and trigger return spring replacement make a world of difference on a Security Six. It's easy to do and they are simple to disassemble and reassemble. I've lightened both mine up nicely and still never run into a misfire (even when I know I've seater primers a tad high).
Old November 9, 2009, 08:10 PM   #42
roaddog28

Firepower,
I will tell you in about ten days when I pickup my new GP100 4 inch Stainless Steel. I know it will have to measure up to my classic Ruger Service Six. I still feel these were the best kept secret in the hay day of wheel guns. Like over posters said; built like a tank, will shoot just about every 357 or 38 round made and are simple and not complicated. Like I said earlier, if I could keep only four revolvers my Service Six would be on top beating some of the Smith and Wessons I have.

roaddog28
Old November 10, 2009, 12:11 AM   #43
madmag

I have the Speed Six .357 mag.....same gun with low profile sights.

My opinion.....the Security/Speed six line represents Ruger at their best. Perhaps the best revolver ever made. I also own a GP100, bur for me the Security Six line is best.

Security/Speed Six. Larger than an SP101 and smaller than a GP100.....just the right size.

Quote:
When compare it to GP100 who come on top? A used security six or gp 100 new?
I guess I gave my answer, the Security Six beats the GP100...and I own both.

BTW, my Speed Six is the 2-3/4" SS .357 mag version...like new condition. Ask me to sell it so I can have a good laugh.

Last edited by madmag; November 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old November 10, 2009, 03:46 PM   #44
JWM

Security-six

In early 1981, I was on the prowl looking for a S&W model 19. Could not find any in the several gun stores around San Antonio, TX (this was before the "L" frame was announced). I had read good reviews in the gun magazines on the Ruger Security-Six revolvers, so with my $200.00 tax refund in hand, I plunked it down on a blued, 4-inch Security-Six, brand new in box. Had a few dollars left over, so I also bought the Packmayr Presentation grips before I left the store. Long story short, that revolver shot great. Learned reloading using that revolver. Won some matches with that gun. A few years later, I traded it in on a Stainless steel Security-Six. After 8 years of use, I got stupid and sold it. All my revolvers are S&W now, but there has been many times that I wish I has the Security-Six back.
Old November 10, 2009, 05:39 PM   #45
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I really love my 1981 S&W 686 but if I needed to, I would trade it over my .38 Special stainless Speed Six 2 3/4" in a heartbeat. I must own at least a dozen handguns and the only one I can say that I will never part with is that gun. It feels right, it shoots right and it looks right. Someday I'll get myself a snub nose .357 Speed or Service Six to keep it company.
Old November 10, 2009, 07:54 PM   #46
Webleymkv

The one downfall of the Security Six and it's cousins is that these revolvers had quite possibly the worst grips ever installed on a revolver. A factory-stocked Security Six will be downright unpleasant with magnums for all but the smallest handed people. Luckily, excellent aftermarket stocks are widely available for 151-prefix serial number and later guns. 150-prefix stocks are out there too, you just have to look a bit harder.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:06 PM   #47
roaddog28

JWM,

Go fine yourself another one. The prices are going to go up. I bought my Police Service Six for $350.00. Now some people would say thats too much. But I been seeing them now for $425.00. This is in California. The Ruger Security/Service/Speed six line is the best kept secret in revolvers. The Smith and Wesson 19/66 has the fame. I have both and I will tell you that my Police Service Six is a better all around revolver than my two S&W 66s.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:14 PM   #48
L_Killkenny

Quote:
The one downfall of the Security Six and it's cousins is that these revolvers had quite possibly the worst grips ever installed on a revolver. A factory-stocked Security Six will be downright unpleasant with magnums for all but the smallest handed people. Luckily, excellent aftermarket stocks are widely available for 151-prefix serial number and later guns. 150-prefix stocks are out there too, you just have to look a bit harder.
The Security Six came from the factory in 2 grip sizes. I'm not up on the prefix's. The ones in the pic are factory and the only issue I have with em is when shooting full house 180's in it. My knuckle bangs the trigger guard and starts to hurt after 30-40 shots. Never enough to make me stop shooting though.

LK
Old November 10, 2009, 08:40 PM   #49
tekarra

How good is the Security Six? Almost as good as it gets! I say almost because they get a mite heavy at the end of the day. Then again, as Timex used to say; "They take a licking and keep on ticking." Never had a problem with my Sixes.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:47 PM   #50
ZeSpectre

Know what to look for, know how to check the gun out, it'll probably be fine but it's good to know how to inspect a revolver, any revolver.

I like them and would probably buy more if the opportunity came up.

Tags
revolver , ruger , security six