The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Jimmydaux

Ream 2 3/4 barrel to take 3" shells?

I have a remington express super magnum that came with a 28" barrel that takes up to 3 1/2 inch shells. I just got a hold of a smooth bore fixed choke barrel that I cut down to 18.5 inches to use as a home defense gun. That barrel is only for 2 3/4 shells. Is there any way to have the shoulder reamed down the bore 1/4 of an inch to allow the barrel to safely shoot 3" shells? The receiver is rated for them, but the barrel obviously is not. Id like to change that somehow, if it is at all possible. Am I hoping for something that is impossible?
Old August 20, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

FIRST THING... I am not remington smart. Is the barrel lug and all mating surfaces equal on the regular barrel?
If yes... I will say you don't need a 3 inch chamber for HD... Want it? Fine... But 2 3/4 inch 00 buck is the nations mainstay HD shotgun round. The extra few pellets are not worth the added recoil and increased time needed for reacquisition of the target IMHO...
YMMV...
Brent
Old August 20, 2009, 05:00 PM   #3
kx592

Not trying to hi-jack but whats HD mean?
Old August 20, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx592
Not trying to hi-jack but whats HD mean?
Home Defense.

You'll find a handy list of commonly used acronyms here.

And you also might want to check out TFL's library.
Old August 20, 2009, 05:15 PM   #5
rantingredneck

HD=Home Defense.

Brent, to answer your question, yes the Remington barrels are interchangeable even from supermag to mag to standard actions.

To the OP, theoretically possible, but I agree with Brent that 3" shells are not required nor typically desired for HD usage. I have several 3" and 3.5" chambered guns here and ammunition to match, but my HD 870 is loaded with 2.75" Federal LE12700 buckshot.

If you are intent on doing it I'd ask around about competent shotgun smiths for the job. You may find out though that the cost of doing the modification may exceed the cost of a good used 3" barrel.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 20, 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
akr

Just use the 2 3/4" with 00 buck. That's all you need for HD and it's more than enough. Your ears will be ringing enough anyway.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 20, 2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Jimmydaux

Im perfectly fine with loading it up with 2 3/4 00 or heavy shot, but it would just be nice to have the ability to shoot 3's if the situation demanded. I only paid $20 for the barrel so even if I just loose the ability to shoot 3 inchers, thats fine. If I could get it reamed out to take a 3" for fairly cheap, id probably go for it just to have the ability. So the consensus right now is that its feasible, but no one has ever tried it or heard of it done?
Old August 20, 2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Regolith

Even if it's possible, you'll probably end up paying the gunsmith more for the job than if you simply bought an 18" barrel with a 3" chamber. You can get an 18" barrel for $100, a job like that is likely to go for a bit over that - probably anywhere between $110 to $150, given that it usually costs $80-100 or so just to have choke tube threads installed.
Old August 20, 2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Russ5924

I have to agree stay with the 2 3/4 a shotgun in the home is deafening with out going to 3". You light that sucker of I will bet there will be no one around except you for the second shot
Old August 20, 2009, 07:08 PM   #10
akr

Jimmy, the situation won't demand it.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 20, 2009, 07:14 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
shoot 3's if the situation demanded
Not gonna come to play in HD... It is more weight to tote 3 inch. It will take longer to load the extra 1/4 inch too. For hunting, the cylinder bore will not be preferred so the 3 inch won't really compensate there either. For a short hunting barrel for deer or turkey, I would want a 20-22 inch with Rem-choke threads so I can put a job specific choke in like Mod for rifled slugs and XX/Turkey Full for turkey loads in 3 inch but for deer I still use 2 3/4 rounds and I don't specifically target turkey. I have been hunting and shooting since 1978 and I ain't sure I have fired (5) 3 inch rounds in my whole life and never once even poked a 3 1/2 in the mag... EVER... I have just never seen the need for them...
Brent
Old August 21, 2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Jimmydaux

Ok, I know the situation will never "require" it, but it would be nice to shoot 3's if someone brought them along or I was given some or something of the sort. I guess thats what the 28" rem choke barrel is for. I guess Ill load up with some 00 buck or flechette rounds in 2 3/4 for HD =) THanks for the input fellas.

Oh an P.S. A local gunny said hed do it for $75 but that puts me right in the realm of buying a new barrel for the same price.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:10 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, You got me on the "gimme" rounds... I forgot all about the free rounds. "back in the day" free rounds were passed out like halloween candy but I havent sen a free round in 15 years or so.
Brent
Old August 21, 2009, 09:42 AM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
but it would just be nice to have the ability to shoot 3's if the situation demanded
Please explain, in your view, what situation would demand that? Especially one inside the house?
Old August 21, 2009, 04:59 PM   #15
akr

I think Jimmy is a very young guy, and he wants to be able to have braggin' rights with his peers.....am I right, Jimmy?

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 21, 2009, 05:41 PM   #16
bcarver

fair price

75 bucks is a good price.
Seems a lot of people telling you what they would do without answering your question.
Also seems you had an answer from gunsmith.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:08 PM   #17
akr

Seems good advice is better in this case.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 22, 2009, 08:02 AM   #18
Kmar40

Quote:
Even if it's possible, you'll probably end up paying the gunsmith more for the job than if you simply bought an 18" barrel with a 3" chamber. You can get an 18" barrel for $100
+1. For HD, the shorter barrel 18-20" would be more important to me than having a 3" chamber.

Quote:
Oh an P.S. A local gunny said hed do it for $75 but that puts me right in the realm of buying a new barrel for the same price.
It's a good price. Again, I'd rather have barrel cut than have the chamber reamed if this is a HD gun.

Quote:
I guess Ill load up with some 00 buck or flechette rounds in 2 3/4 for HD =) THanks for the input fellas.
Forget the flechette rounds. Leave those to the Counterstrike Commandos.
Old August 22, 2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

2 3/4" , 8 or 9 pellet 00 loads from a short barrel will do everything you want in a close range crisis. ie, it will stop a perp instantly 99% of the time with a well placed hit.

A fairtomiddlin' amount of ammo gets shot here. Maybe 6K last year. The number of 3" rounds I used out of that could be numbered on the finger of one hand. All waterfowl loads.

And that includes slugs, buck and so on. 2 3/4 slugs leave short, easily followed blood trails, 9 pellet 00 will reduce threat levels to acceptability in a twinkling.

While you CAN work a short chambered barrel over as you ask, better to spend the cash on ammo and range time.

If you just must head the siren's song of weapon mods, have a decent smith lengthen the forcing cone. This mimics choke in that patterns run tighter.

That's a good thing.

It also, in theory, spreads kick out over a longer time, which the body perceives as less kick.

Also good.

HTH.....