The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
cincygunner

Home Defense shotgun

Looking to add a shotty to the collection. Primarily for home defense and maybe to take to the range every one in a while and shoot clays.

I have never owned a shotgun before so don't really know much about them and the manufacturers. I am not looking for anything fancy, just synthetic stock is fine and shorter barrel.

I was looking at the Remington 870 and also the Mossberg #3 model 500 both in 12ga

What are some recomendations?
Old August 4, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
rickyjames

i recomend you buy one. i prefer the mossy but it's your $.
Old August 4, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3
hamr56

Honestly I think to do the things you want to do well you need two guns. The reason I say this is most clay guns have l-o-n-g barrels. Not good for manuvering around corners and in hallways. Good home defense guns have short barrels, and I like mine with a pistol grip.

For home defense I bought the Mossy, although I looked long and hard at the 870. Since I am not going to put thousands of rounds through the gun the Mossy fit my bill. However IMHO the 870 is a much better gun and you may find a decent deal at a pawn shop on one, I could not.

I ended up picking up the Mossy for around $150 from Wal-Mart. Went home and put a adjustable stock on it, pulled the stick to allow it to hold more rounds, and sawed off the barrel to legal length. In all I have $180 in it and both the wife and I can use it.
Old August 4, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4
GeauxTide

Love my 870 Tactical and my old LH 870 Wingmaster. Also own an old 20ga 500. The MB uses an aluminum receiver, is rougher finished, and not as smooth. I use the MB more on the farm because it's got a 26" twist choke barrel. Depends on your preference. Heavier, smoother, pretty vs. lighter, rougher, ugly.
Old August 4, 2009, 12:44 PM   #5
chris in va

After using a few different shotguns, I'd recommend you choose between the 870 and 500, then get a 18" barrel for HD purposes. Don't bother with the goofy tactical add-ons, just a 26-28" barrel and an 18 incher. The stock shell capacity is MORE than enough to stop an intruder, so no need for the extended mag.

The longer barrel will take chokes for clays use, the 18" will not as it's a straight 'cylinder' open choke.
Old August 4, 2009, 12:52 PM   #6
vranasaurus

I like the 870 better but the mossberg is a fine shotgun. Whichever one you get you should be able to get two barrels so you can do both things.
Old August 4, 2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Last time I looked you could get the Moss. 500 in 12 gauge in a "field/security
combo" with both 28" and 18 1/2" barrels. I think they throw in a pistol grip, but you can just toss that.

It's a good deal compared to buying the second barrel separately.

Remington may have something similar, but given the cost of their barrels, it'll probably be spendier.

Buy ammo instead of accessories, and go shoot the thing a lot.
Old August 4, 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
kokopelli

+1 on the 870. Versatile, dependable and parts o'plenty available for them. Same for the Moss, but you can usually find a remy for the same price, or a used one cheaper.
Old August 4, 2009, 06:50 PM   #9
BlackFeather

I know most everyone is gonna say "american made is better" but I still support my Norinco Hawk 982.... its an 870 copy... works the same and is just as reliable... ive said it before but I like it more than my neighbors 870... however it comes with the Ghost ring sights so if you dont want those then get a mossberg... I like the 870 more but to me quality only out weighs the price when putting 1000s of rounds of rounds through it and the 982 is inbetween the two in price...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 4, 2009, 06:59 PM   #10
the rifleer

Buy a mossberg from big 5 if you have one nearby. i bought a 20 gauge mossberg combo with a 26" barrel and an 18'' barrel. you can use the 18" barrel for hd and the 26'' for clays. i bought it brand new for $219+tax. its a very dependable shotgun that works when you need it to. it great for clays and great for hd.
Old August 4, 2009, 07:16 PM   #11
zeke66

I've got an NEF Pardner Pump Protector, another Norinco 870 clone. I also have (and SHOOT) Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's.

If I were dropped off on a desert island and left to fend for myself with only the choice of one of those shotguns, I'd choose the Pardner Pump. That tell ya anything?
Old August 4, 2009, 08:22 PM   #12
colostomyclown

I'd get a used Mossberg 500 or 500atp with 18.5 or 20" barrel.
Old August 4, 2009, 10:42 PM   #13
flattop44

I trust the Remington 870, totally reliable, the one to have when your life depends on it.
FT44
Old August 5, 2009, 01:06 AM   #14
Kmar40

Quote:
Just wondering, how cheap are those Chinese guns? I see the Mossbergs at Wally for 209 and the Remington for very little more. I'm as tight as the next guy but I can't imagine that you are saving enough money to be buying something Chinese.
I guess you guys are going to make me go to a gunstore and research it me-self. Oh well.

Last edited by Kmar40; August 7, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:17 PM   #15
cincygunner

Well I was decided on the Mossberg 500 and it is still in my mind but I've done some looking and found the Benelli Nova pump. It's within my price range, looking to stay under or around $400

Are there any more I should look at when I go shopping?

My list as of now is
1. Mossberg 500
2. Benelli Nova Pump
3. Remington 870
Old August 6, 2009, 08:38 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

While I've been accused of having "870" tattoed someplace on my ample epidermis, there's no dogs on your short list, cincy.

Get the one that feels best and learn it....
Old August 6, 2009, 09:45 PM   #17
BlackFeather

I paid $200 for the 982 that I have which is an inbetween cost... couldnt find a cheaper one in the area... and I HAD to have the sights... but as dave says find what feels comfortable and learn it... thats what I did...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 6, 2009, 10:18 PM   #18
rickyjames

if you are looking for a duel purpose shotgun i don't think you will find a better gun or a better value than the mossberg pump. they often come with 2 barrels, mine has an 18" and longer hunting barrel. can't do beter than that
Old August 6, 2009, 11:16 PM   #19
OLNfan

mossberg 500 with the retractable stock +1
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old August 7, 2009, 12:40 AM   #20
geologist

I would recommend either an 870 or Mossberg 500/590 with the shortest barrel that you can legally own. The shorter barrel makes the SG easier to handle in the confines of your home. It also makes it more difficult for the BG to grab.

An 870 has a steel receiver so it is heavier than the aluminum receiver 500/590. Felt recoil with heavy loads is less with the heavier 870 compared to a 500/590.

Whichever SG you eventually decide on, it should be thoroughly field tested for 100% reliablity with the ammo you intend to use for HD. I would test fire at least 100 rounds before I trusted a SG enough for HD.
Old August 7, 2009, 09:54 AM   #21
mp25ds4

870 if you have the money, 500 if you want a good gun just not so expensive
Old August 7, 2009, 02:04 PM   #22
neon

Quote:
I am not looking for anything fancy, just synthetic stock is fine and shorter barrel.
Take a look at The Pardner Pump..its the cheapest and has good reliability.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:16 PM   #23
gb6491

We have two:
870 Express Magnum and a Maverick 88 (Mossberg), both work and have given us no problems. We bought each used. The Maverick had some rust on the barrel. It was cleaned up and refinished with some rattle can, shake n bake, ceramic base paint (good stuff). The Remy has a new walnut stock set and a Rem-choke barrel installed; I wouldn't feel under gunned kicking up some quail with it

Regards,
Greg
Old August 15, 2009, 11:33 PM   #24
jamiejaf

My two shottys are: The Remington Police Magnum 12 gauge for all round defense and the Dominion Arms Outlaw double barrel 12 gauge, which i use for bear repellant while fishing.
The Outlaw has a 12 inch barrel with a night site front post. It is easy to swing in tight places and fits in my pack with room to spare. i'm not sure if its legal where you live
Old August 16, 2009, 08:57 AM   #25
Shpadoinkel

Before you make a decision, do yourself a favor and look into the Pardner brand (made by H&R). I was in the exact situation you are in about a month ago and I was between an 870 and a Mossy. Someone suggested the Pardner Protector (an 870 clone w/ 18.5” barrel) so I did a TON of research. All reviews suggested that the Protector, for that matter the entire Pardner line, was built better than the 870 Express, from build quality to reliability. Not to mention the Protector was a good $150 less than the Express… it made the decision pretty easy.

I have absolutely no problem with the 870 or the Mossy, you get one of those and you won’t regret it either. But in your $400 price range, you can actually get 2 shotty’s (one for HD, one for range) if you go with Pardner. You might be the type of person that likes a double-duty gun, if that’s the case, I would recommend a non-Express 870 with 2 barrels. If you like the idea of having two special purpose guns for the price (or less) of a double-duty gun, check out Pardner.

For home defense, I got a new Pardner Protector with a Knoxx stock (for my wife to take off a considerable amount of recoil and for her shorter LOP) and I am still about $40 under a new 870 Express. And as a bonus I don’t have to buy a short barrel or worry about extraction issues.

But with 870, Mossy, Benelli, Pardner… you can’t go wrong. They all go boom.