The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1
sethmark

Now that was a trip to the range...

I have been shooting once a week religiously at the range for a while now. Usually with a Beretta 96D DAO. Like many folks, I concentrated on center of mass in tight groups. Slow shots with the sights.

Lately, I've been working on technique I've been reading up on in the Fist-Fire book I bought from Tactical Shooting Academy. Mostly I've been concentrating on HOW to hold the firearm.

About a month ago, I bought a 4506-1 SW .45ACP. After one shot I was in lust. Obviously the jump from .40 to .45 was appealing.
After a couple of hundred rounds I was totally in love with the double/single action and found that the single stack, flat backstrap fit my little girl hands exceptionally well...

Fastforward to today. Today I had a day to myself. So I went to the range early and planned to shoot about 500 rounds. I bought a half dozen silouettes and off I went. After a few shots with the beretta, I put it away. Moved onto the SW and started doing double taps, concentrating strictly on index/ point shooting. After a few shots I was getting better and better results..... low ready, up and double tap. I ran 400 rounds through the smith that way. Over and over until I was absolutely dialed.

For the first time it all clicked on how to shoot tactically instead of practically...

Seth (sold the beretta to the range immediately afterward! --- oh and 400 rounds through the smith with el cheapo range ammo and zero problems)
Old March 17, 2007, 01:13 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...I was absolutely dialed..." Now that you have a pistol you can shoot well, you're ready to learn how to use it. Punching holes in paper isn't 'tactical' or 'practical'. Mind you, neither is IDPA or IPSC. Those games you're ready for. There's a whole lot more to defending yourself with a handgun that being able to shoot.
Old March 17, 2007, 05:35 AM   #3
Dreadnought

You know, I would have given that 96D a nice home...
The DAO is hard for a lot of people to master all on their own, but at least now you have a pistol you can shoot well and that's what matters.
Old March 17, 2007, 06:49 AM   #4
sethmark

Baby steps, chief! I wasn't born with self defense skills. I'm not in the military and I'm not a LEO. I'm not being trained by some established government program on how to defend myself with a firearm.

Any skill that I want to have, I have to earn by my own desire, my own motivation and ultimately my own money.
Old March 17, 2007, 09:39 PM   #5
allenomics

What matters is that you had a breakthrough and fun at the same time. We are all "students" and not perfect. So when one hits a plateau like you did, that's an occasion to celebrate. Congratulations!
Old March 19, 2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Hardtarget

You found a prize! A good gun that shoots good for you! I shoot a DAO in .45 and I don't have that " this is THE one for me" feeling. Sometimes I do well, other times...well... I've thought about going to a DA/SA for a while. Maybe I just need to try one just to see if its the answer.
Mark.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
BanginMusket

That was a great job! Your weekly training has finally paid off. Keep it up.