The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2006, 12:16 AM   #1
bgreen

Bernardelli 20 ga

I borrowed this shotgun from my father last week, and would like to know more about it. Year, model, value, anything interesting basically.

Could "Acciaio" be the model name? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated!

I have many pictures taken from different angles if they would be of any assistance.

Thank you,

Brook

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0864 (Medium).JPG (72.1 KB, 744 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0866 (Medium).JPG (82.4 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0871 (Medium).JPG (70.9 KB, 730 views)

Last edited by bgreen; November 1, 2006 at 12:17 AM. Reason: [img]'d the pictures
Old November 1, 2006, 12:25 AM   #2
bgreen

serial number...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0872a.JPG (72.6 KB, 721 views)
Old November 1, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3
bgreen

anyone?
Old November 2, 2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I'm not much of a shotgun guy, but Bernardelli makes very fine guns. The engraving on yours tells me that it is not an upper-end gun, but is certainly not lower-tier either.
Bill
Old November 2, 2006, 07:24 PM   #5
COK

A nice looking gun you have.
A book I have says the company has been in the military arms business since 1721 and commercial starting in 1928.
They have made a number of models and grades of SXS's and I do not see one by that specific name . Prices seem to run from $700- $2000 in very good condition for most models , However they have made some high grade models that run to several thousand .
Old November 2, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6
bgreen

Quote:
I'm not much of a shotgun guy, but Bernardelli makes very fine guns. The engraving on yours tells me that it is not an upper-end gun, but is certainly not lower-tier either.
Bill
Even for a gun that could be very old? What does a guy look for when determining the quality of the engraving?

Thanks for the info guys.
Old November 3, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7
johnbt

Acciaio = steel

After looking through a couple of books, including the 26th Ed. Blue Book, my best guess is one of the S. Uberto models. OTOH, they've made all sorts of guns and import into the U.S. has come and gone over the decades. My '67 Shooter's Bible shows a similar gun - without the engraving - called the Standard Gamecock. Then the Blue Book lists a later lower-priced boxlock called the S. Uberto Gamecock, but later on lists the Uberto series: 1, 1E, 2, 2E, FS, FSE.

For instance, looking at the Blue Book, there's the S. Uberto 2, Anson & Deeley boxlock action, Purdy locks, light scroll engraving, silver finished receiver, double triggers, extractors, discontinued '89, import resumed '93-'97. 100% condition = $1375

The 2E has ejectors.

The 1 has a case-hardened receiver.

The Uberto FS, relief engraved with hunting scenes on silver finished receiver, double triggers, extractors. Importation discontinued '89, resumed '93-'97. 100% condition = $1695

I'd go look around on gunsamerica, but I have some roofing and painting to do.

John
Old November 4, 2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Endigo

Very nice gun. I don't see any problem with the engraving looks top notch to me. Only thing I can see wrong with it is that it wasn't made in Belgium or Germany.
Old November 4, 2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

There is nothing "wrong" with the engraving, but it is not of the quality found on the high-end guns. Age has nothing to do with it- very fine gun engraving has been around for centuries. I can't explain what high-quality engraving looks like. It's something you acquire after looking at a lot of engraved guns. The coverage on yours tells me it is a medium grade gun that has been profusely decorated.
As far as it being a good gun, it certainly is. The Italians have been making fine doubles for probably more years than the Belgians or Germans.
The book "Steel Canvas" by R.L. Wilson is a good study on engraving.
Bill
Old November 4, 2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Endigo

How would you know how long they have been gun makers? European guns are of much higher quality. Than Italian.
Old November 4, 2006, 10:01 PM   #11
johnbt

Italy is not in Europe anymore? I'm confused. I know Beretta is in Italy and is over 500 years old.

John
Old November 5, 2006, 02:16 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Endigo
Your statement shows exactly why I post on these forums.
Bernardelli has been in business since the 1700s. Italy IS in Europe.
Because a gun is from a certain country means nothing. To generalize that way shows ignorance of facts. A fine gun could be made anywhere. Workmanship and materials are not location-dependant. You sound like those old redneck guys at the gun shows-" Why you got that cheap Spanish gun? Why don't you git a GOOD American gun, like a Browning?"
Bernardelli (and Beretta, and Fabarms, and many others) are fine guns. I suspect you wouldn't know a fine gun if it shot you in the arse.
Bill
Old November 5, 2006, 10:05 PM   #13
Endigo

Good American gun like a Browning? Seems like the best Brownings were made in Belgium.
Old November 5, 2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Exactly!
Bill
Old November 5, 2006, 11:07 PM   #15
akr

I know what you mean, Bill. Those old ignorant redneck knuckle draggers will always be around, I guess...wouldn't drive anything but a Foad or Shivilay. Them durn Jap cars ain't worth a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]!!