The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
rickyrick

Look out, got hosed by the LGS

Someone stopped by the LGS for me and picked up several boxes of Winchester white box .223 first two boxes were legit. 3rd box was actually wolf steel cased.

This purchase was made the first few days of the panic.

I don't blame the LGS yet for this, because he was waiting for a "guy" to deliver it that day. I won't be going back.

My laziness caused me to only check a couple of boxes. I'm not gonna bash any particular business....just a warning for others.

I haven't looked at the other boxes yet.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
myshoulderissore

I would imagine that was not the work of your LGS, but of someone providing themselves with a "discount". Still sucks, though, are they going to fix it for you?
Old December 30, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Nine the Ranger

I'm confused.

You got boxes of Winchester and boxes of Wolf?

Or you got Wolf ammo in Winchester boxes?
Old December 30, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
steveno

I think it is more common than you think with ammo getting switched by a customer in a store to get better ammo at a cheaper price
Old December 30, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
jasmith85

This is actually one of the reasons most stores keep their ammunition locked up and don't accept returns. Back when I worked at Walmart we even had to keep the shotgun shells locked up because people would switch the more expensive loads into the cheap boxes. You can't trust anyone anymore.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
rickyrick

Wolf was in the Winchester box.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Metal god

I've seen this with beer , golf balls and ammo . There will always be that A-hole that only thinks of them selves and not the fellow shooter that gets the crap ammo and can't return it . If you ever are up set or just don't know why there are some many rules and regulations . Is cus of A-holes like that .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:08 PM   #8
rickyrick

Lol, oh well it's going to get shot anyways
Old December 30, 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
berettaprofessor

I wouldn't be taking it out on the LGS for this one. And anyway, who checks every box of ammo they buy to make sure what was printed on the box is what is in the box? I sure don't....maybe I should go spend the next few days checking all my stash....
Old December 30, 2012, 04:55 PM   #10
rickyrick

It was just plinking stuff, no biggie really.

I check premium ammo but usually not stuff destined for making holes in beer cans
Old December 30, 2012, 07:49 PM   #11
shafter

I was just wondering to myself the other day why ammo boxes aren't sealed in plastic wrap just like almost everything else is these days.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
357 Python

Which is cheaper the Wolf or the Winchester ammo? I imagine the Wolf is cheaper and someone wanted Winchester so they exchanged the boxes (put Winchester ammo in Wolf box and vice versa). I have heard of similar things happening with other products. They pay for a cheaper product but are getting the more expensive one.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:00 PM   #13
BarryLee

I check my ammo to assure the boxes are full, but never really thought about checking the actual make.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 30, 2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Chances are your LGS was not to blame.

People change up ammo fairly often trying to give themselves a deal. Happened to a buddy of mine two years ago buying shotgun shells a Dick's. They can him holy hell about exchanging it but finally did.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:30 PM   #15
ketland

I went to my LGS yesterday to buy some primers, and plated fodder, and had the pretty young girl behind the counter tell me they are limiting sales to one box (of 1k) per type, SR,LR etc. I had asked for two boxes of LRM initially, and after being rung up at the register, I looked over my receipt, and low and behold she had charged me for an extra box of LRM's.... good thing I checked. She offered a refund to me which I politely declined, and told here I would be happy to take my second box. Funny how that stuff goes sometimes.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I was just wondering to myself the other day why ammo boxes aren't sealed in plastic wrap just like almost everything else is these days.
They are at the big shop around here. The shop does it themselves before they put the ammo on the floor. I had always wondered why but now I know.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:57 PM   #17
17ghk

Its simple supply and demand. just stop the crazy buying and the prices will come down. I have no intention on spending tons of money on over priced guns and ammo. 50 years from now we will be armed with bows.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #18
rickyrick

You didn't read the thread, did you?
Old January 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #19
5R milspec

Just another good reason to reload.But if primers and powder keep becoming a problem to get then what will any of us do.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:42 AM   #20
Rifleman1776

Quote:
no biggie really.
rickyrick, that is an admirable attitude on your part.
But, I believe the store owner would want to know about this. Just inform him in a friendly way. If he doesn't know this is happening he can't take measures to make a customer happy and improve his store security.
I have been a retail store owner, including a gun shop. A fellow merchant once called a meeting to tell others that we had a shoplifting problem in our town. I claimed I wasn't being affected and had good control. With that he picked up a shopping bag and dumped a bunch of merchandise from my store on the table in front of me. It had been recovered by the police after arresting the thieves on other charges.
Do everyone, store owner, yourself and other customers a favor. Inform the store owner.