The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2011, 08:07 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

My 550B Locked Up.... (Have to wait until Monday to call Dillon <sadface>)

I FINALLY got around to setting my 550B up for .380 Auto (I hate reloading for the .380), and cranked just over 400 rounds out....

...when the ram locked up on me.
I had to disassemble the press to troubleshoot, and found the issue to be the right link arm. It seems to have shifted on its pivot pin, somehow; and is now galling and binding on the press body.

The arm still moves, but it requires just under 70 lbs of pressure on the very end. In contrast, the left link arm requires less than 2 lbs of pressure to move.

A quick visual demonstration....

(Ignore the precariously perched tool head in the background. It was a temporary solution, while troubleshooting (still had powder in it)).

(It looks like the rock star in the background has a pistol in his hands, but I'm pretty sure it was a seating die.)

That's my "spare" Rock Chucker Supreme (19.8 lbs) and 25 lbs of shot.
With a second bag of shot (69.8 lbs total), the arm will creep down. With just over 65 lbs, it still stays put.

I just thought some of the members here might find the incident interesting.

I'll give Dillon a call on Monday, and see what their desired course of action will be.

If that doesn't work, I have an alternate plan: A member of my family works for Dillon, and helped design the 550B. I have NEVER taken advantage of his offers for discounted equipment, or test products in the past. He worked very hard to get where he is, and I don't like taking advantage of that. But, maybe it's time to call in a favor...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dillon_Arm1.jpg (147.9 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Dillon_Arm2.jpg (183.1 KB, 820 views)
Old May 20, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Ronbert

I don't recall how I did it but a few years ago I disassembled my press and lubed with grease. (I don't specifically recall removing those pivots though.) I basically tore the thing down to parade rest, cleaned it, lubed it and reassembled. Seems like it needs that every 10 years or so. Moved much more smoothly afterward even though it wasn't actually "bad" when I did the job.

Your stuck side is in proximity to the spent primer catch cup so maybe the clearance around the pivot is filled with gunk which could be sprayed out with carb cleaner or there's the anvil of a primer wedged into the clearance space or something.

Consulting with Dillon might confirm that the righthand pin is hollow so you can drive out the opposite pin with a drift thru the hollow one. Then from the other side drive that hollow pin out with a larger diameter drift. This after disassembly removing the ram so you can drive from one side to the other across the ram operating opening. (That's just how it looks to me after examining mine and looking at the parts breakdown.)

So, you perhaps could take it apart yourself and lube the parts. Or send it to Dillon so they can do it.

I'd like to know what's causing this and what you have to do to get it working again.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:22 PM   #3
jepp2

Galling of the pivot arms is common if you don't keep them lubed. How do I know? Mine galled.

I called Dillon expecting them to tell me to send my press to them. They told me to disassemble the press (as already covered) clean up the damage, lube and reassemble. They did send me a pilot to align the shell plate to the press top. I didn't really need it.

I used an oak dowel to knock out the left side pin. A few good wacks and it pops out. You have already done the hardest part of the job - removing the ram.

Mine wasn't as bad as yours. I would suggest soaking the pins with Kroil overnight before you knock them out.

I keep them lubed now.
Old May 21, 2011, 01:00 AM   #4
Crankylove

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was a seating die.
.32 S&W Long seating die..........you should know that, its your die.

Quote:
Your stuck side is in proximity to the spent primer catch cup so maybe the clearance around the pivot is filled with gunk which could be sprayed out with carb cleaner or there's the anvil of a primer wedged into the clearance space or something.
Our thought was that it may have filled with gunk as well, although it was thoroughly cleaned a couple weeks ago, it still could be the issue.

Maybe its just time for Frankenmauser to upgrade to a 650..........then I could use it for my bulk loading too Nothing wrong with the little 550, but, a nice and shiney new 650 would not be frowned upon.
Old May 21, 2011, 01:33 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

As Crankylove mentioned, the press was torn down to its "basic" configuration about 2 months ago, and thoroughly cleaned (ram, links, etc. were not removed or disassembled - just cleaned as much as possible and lubed). A couple weeks ago, it got cleaned and lubed, yet again.

I try to keep it as clean as possible, but it was run in pretty filthy condition for about 15 years, while my father owned it. Crankylove and I joked that it might be like an old, filthy engine: You never clean the caked-on crud off the engine, or it'll start leaking. ...In this case, parts start shifting.

However... I hadn't given much thought to the primer catcher. I acknowledged that its location contributes to extra crud building up on that arm, but that's about it. Now your comment above has me thinking there may have been just enough room for a primer anvil to make its way into one of the cracks.

And, you're correct, Ronbert. The left hand pin is solid, with the right hand pin hollow, to allow for the pins to be drifted out. Dillon always plans ahead....

One last thing-
I'm an idiot!
For some reason, I was thinking today (Friday) was Saturday. Since I'm an idiot, and tomorrow is actually Saturday; I'll have a chance to call Dillon tomorrow (as long as I remember before 3 pm).
Old May 21, 2011, 08:21 AM   #6
dahermit

After several years (about 15 or more), I disassembled my 550B, cleaned, drilled and tapped the hated lube holes, installed grease fittings. I am much happier now.
I have an indistinct memory that Dillon supplies the 550B with grease fittings now...is that the case?
Old May 21, 2011, 08:23 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
...the arm still moves, but it requires just under 70 lbs of pressure on the very end ...
for gods sake! Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!
Old May 21, 2011, 09:19 AM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
I have an indistinct memory that Dillon supplies the 550B with grease fittings now...is that the case?
There were only small holes on the RL550B I added a couple of years ago. My original RL550 (the one that galled) didn't even have holes. Next time I have one apart I too will add grease zerks.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Ronbert

Mine is about a '93 edition and doesn't have grease holes. (wish it did)
Old May 21, 2011, 01:30 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

This one was purchased some time between 1994 and 1996. There are no grease holes anywhere on the machine.

Dillon's recommendation was just as others have suggested: Tear it apart, clean it up, and lube it; and call them back, if it doesn't work.

Quote:
for gods sake! Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!
Forcing the link by hand allows me to find a "loose" spot, that will be slightly better to have the link positioned in for pin removal. I was a Helicopter Crew Chief... I understand the properties of aluminum (and aluminum mating with steel) quite well. I knew the risks and potential damage involved in forcing the link. (There won't be anything worse than a little galling, that can be cleaned up with emery cloth.) There's actually a benefit, though: It work-hardens the areas that are potentially galling. Cleaning up the galling with emery cloth smooths the now hardened surface, and reduced the future potential of the same problem.

Quote:
They did send me a pilot to align the shell plate to the press top. I didn't really need it.
I asked if a pilot or assembly tool would be needed, to align the platform with the ram; acknowledging that the shell plate retaining bolt centers it well, but doesn't align it. The customer service rep said they no longer send out the alignment tools, because a properly installed primer feed arm works better than their own tool. -Center the platform with the bolt, align it with the primer feed arm/block, and tighten away.

I'll probably make my way back into the reloading room a little later in the day. I may go pick up Dillon's recommended disassembly tool, though.... A 10" nail.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:44 PM   #11
TXGunNut

I'm on my second set of arms, first set galled and is in a small bucket of old parts. Anytime I broke something or it quit working right the nice folks @ Dillon were happy to send me new & improved parts the same day I called. I have one of the first 550's, newer ones probably don't need Dillon's excellent customer service as much as I did.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 23, 2011, 01:11 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

The press is up and running again... better than ever.

The bores of the link arms were all galled, except for the top pivot of the left arm. The top of the right arm was pretty bad. I ended up wrapping a 1/2" dowel in various grits of sand paper and emery cloth, to polish the bores.

Both pins had aluminum deposits on them (which, of course, is why it galled). Once I had the big pieces removed, I chuck the pins in my drill press. Some light work with emery cloth removed the rest of the aluminum, and gave the pins a better finish than factory.

As I said... It's running smoother now, than when it was new.