The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1
full case load

cannelures

Anyone here using a hand cannelure making tool? If you are; who makes it? how's it working for you? how much did it cost you? You know, just a little about it. I think I need one. I got a reasonable deal on a bunch of Rainier JHP bullets but without a cannelure. I realize that having to buy a tool will now make the reasonable deal not so reasonable but the "big name" self defense bullets are months in backorder. These bullets are sometimes backing out with the recoil since I can't crimp into a cannelure (and any heavier crimp starts putting a bulge in the case mouth). These cartridges are mainly for practice but if the COAL is varying that probably means erratic pressures are occurring. These are being loaded to around 40 some thousand psi which is normal for this cartridge, but I don't need to be going over that very often. Anyhow, if you are making cannelures please reply.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Loader9

Yeah, I have a C&H cannelure tool. Works great. I gave $50.00 for mine from Ebay. There's one on there now at $36.00 with a day left on the auction. I've put cannelures on Rainiers but it's going to depend on the lot of Rainier bullets as they are a plated bullet and sometimes the tool knocks the plating off. I've had much better luck with Berrys for plated and cannelure.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Sevens

If you are loading Ranier plated bullets at 40,000 PSI or above then you'll likely have issues which not only won't be corrected by a cannelure tool, but be quite exacerbated by it.

I totally understand your frustration at not being able to get the component bullets you seek, but this isn't your answer.

Are we talking .357 Magnum here?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
full case load

Sevens, 327 Fed Mag is the cartridge and my main concern is that the bullet doesn't creep under recoil. (I will not "carry" this reload it's only for practice, I do however, want it hit close to where I aim). Loader9, thanks for the info regarding your experience and the ebay tip. I'll check it out. I've still got over 900 of these bullets and I'm going to do my best at disposing them out my gun barrels' muzzle as practice rounds. Thanks to you both, that helps.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Sevens

I load .327 Federal also. And I do load some plated bullet loads, using the Berry's 71gr bullet obviously meant for the .32 Auto.

I do not run them anywhere in the hemisphere of even approaching warm. I run them with small charges of Bullseye. Hotrodding bullets like that is just not good.

For a while, I thought I'd never find proper .32 cal jacketed bullets, but Hornady has really shipped these as of late. I've either loaded or still have in stock over 1,800 Hornady .312" XTPs in either 85 or 100 grains.

These bullets can safely and properly be loaded to the hairy .327 Federal pressures.

I would urge you to keep looking for either the XTP's or the Sierra 90 grainers. A year ago, I swore I'd never even find actual evidence of their existence. Now, I actually see them and buy them. I hope you can find some also.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Kevin Rohrer

www.ch4d.com

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 21, 2011, 11:26 AM   #7
oldscot3

I bought the CH tool so I could load my jacketed bullets out to the correct length in my 44 special. Simple, durable and effective. It works great... setup and adjustment is pretty straightforward, just take your time and be aware that the cannelure doesn't have to be very deep. If you get it too deep you'll be cutting the jacket more than necessary. I've got mine set to "imprint" the cannelure only about .005" and I've not detected any trace of bullet movement during firing so far.

I bought the tool direct from CH and it wasn't any more expensive than what I could find on ebay, plus I didn't have to worry about bidding, who I was buying from, paypal, etc.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:02 PM   #8
full case load

Thanks to you all! I appreciate the input. I'm going to get one and will post my efforts when I get to that point.