The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Marred

590 ghost ring sight install

Was just wondering what a good price is for installing the Mossberg ghost ring sight kit on my 590. Specifically silver brazing the front sight and re-blueing as necessary also install rear sight and align sights, the receiver is already drilled and tapped from the factory. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old September 24, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Marred

Allright, forget how much.

This question seems to be a sort of taboo, even mossberg doesn't sell the 590 barrel separate. Has anyone had the sights silver brazed? I just hear alot of people using epoxy, gum, rubberbands or what not. I read somewhere that if the epoxy fails, to just epoxy the front sight back on. With my luck the sight will fall off when the zombie hoards attack. I will be taking my shotgun to my smith as soon as I gather some money and will let you guys know how it goes.
Old September 26, 2010, 11:30 AM   #3
natman

I had my sight silver soldered on by a gunsmith. An HD gun is no place to fool around with gluing the sights on. Cost $40. Yes, it ruined the blue. I plan to Duracoat mine.
Old September 27, 2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Marred

I called my smith and he said 120 for silver solder and rebluing. Sounds a little high to me but I trust them to do good work. Other guys are cheaper but I don't trust them.
Old October 18, 2010, 02:46 AM   #5
godsey5

I paid 65.00 to have mine done. It covered the cost of touching up the bluing. It turned out very well.

Jim
Old December 26, 2010, 01:26 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

That Marred is quoted double in Los Angeles for what godsey 5 paid for the same work elsewhere is typical of California prices.
Old December 26, 2010, 05:22 AM   #7
Marred

Gas prices, cost of living, houses, living in general and excessive taxes on all of the above, man don't even get me started.
The smith that quoted 120 didn't seem interested in doing the work, first it was a month then after a month they said 3 weeks, after that they said 2 weeks and at that point I said just give it back.
The other smith I took it to said 3 weeks and delivered but the bluing wasn't right so it's back with them to fix it and he only charged me $85. Still waiting for it back by the end of this week. I'll post pics if I get back as promised.
Old December 26, 2010, 12:59 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Thanks Marred. I am in Orange County and I hear you.