The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #26
JHansenAK47

I have a CZ550 american and two model 70 extreme weather ss rifles.
Between the two I have found it pretty much a wash with a few exceptions. The CZ has quite a bit of drag while cycling the bolt, has some creep in the trigger but is pretty good while set and lastly the trigger reach is noticeably different between the set and regular fire mode.

Don't get me wrong I like CZs I just like the new model 70s more but in all honesty I would rather have a sako.

Quote:
I had a CZ 75B and wasn't happy with all the machine marks and sloppy construction from CZ (in that particular gun).
I have an SP-01 from when they first came out and compared it to a 2012 production SP-01. The finish is noticeably better on the 2012 gun especially on the barrel etc. In my opinion CZ has improved their production process from years past.

Last edited by JHansenAK47; March 2, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:34 PM   #27
roc1

I guess everyone knows Winchester is not Winchester any more I went thru there plant in S.C. They are FN just like Browning both are owned by FN so it is not a true old Winchester anymore except name only. Recoil is more in Fwt and I know others that will testify to the same. CZ is top shelf not junk I have owned a bunch and still do. Been to there custom shop as well great guys.
I speak from experience not what I read on the net
Roc1
Old March 2, 2013, 09:37 PM   #28
reynolds357

I agree Roc that things have changed at Winchester. In my opinion, FN vastly improved Winchester. I think Winchester not being "what it was" is a good thing. Winchester was turning out a few good rifles, but mostly a lot of junk in the last few years prior to them selling to FN.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:38 PM   #29
jglsprings

I think some of the previous posters have said it already. You aren't keen on the CZ for a number of reasons and any new CZ will be suspect for the slightest problem - real or imagined.

Finish, tool marks etc should be obvious before you accept any rifle or gun - during your pre-purchase inspection. Function problems are always a nasty surprise.

They are both fine rifles - get what you WANT. Which sounds like the Model 70. I have a couple of them and love them. My '06 Winchester has killed a BUNCH of animals over the years. It is a great gun.

I love my CZ 550 Safari Magnum - it is my favorite of all my rifles. I think that has more to do with the caliber (375 H&H) than anything else. It is the gun I've ~always~ wanted.

Get the gun you have always wanted.

Commas save lives...
Old March 2, 2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Striker1

Quote:
I guess everyone knows Winchester is not Winchester any more I went thru there plant in S.C. They are FN just like Browning both are owned by FN so it is not a true old Winchester anymore except name only. Recoil is more in Fwt and I know others that will testify to the same. CZ is top shelf not junk I have owned a bunch and still do. Been to there custom shop as well great guys.
I speak from experience not what I read on the net
Roc1
What CZ's ya got and how are they in the accuracy dept?

I would like to get a replacement fiberglass or laminate stock for mine...any suggestions?

Thanks
Old March 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #31
cdbeagle

I have a CZ 550 American in 6.5x55, a CZ 512 .22WMR, a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical, a CZ 82 and a CZ 83. The thing I like most about CZ is the accuracy that I have experienced with them. My 550 American is very heavy which is good for me b/c I have a bad shoulder.

I used to own a CZ 720 shotgun for my daughter but sold it. I own four Winchester SX3 shotguns. I prefer CZ for rifles and Winchester for shotguns. This is just what I read, but I have read it a lot, CZ rifles tend to more accurate than Winchester rifles. I would like to stress that is what I have read, I cannot speak from personal experience since I have never owned a Winchester bolt action.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:03 AM   #32
roc1

I still have a 550 in 243 that is a great gun. I will admit accuracy has fallen some because of some many rounds fired thru it. I also have a 453 17hmr that is super accurate killed several pd with it. I had a 452 2lr sold it great gun just sold off a few guns lately. I still have a CZ Brno 22 that has the best action ever felt on a bolt 22 and super accurate. I have a 75b and a P01 9mm that to me are the best 9mm I ever owned and I tried a bunch from Xd Glock Ruger several others. I agree the new Winchesters are nice I like them. I like my CZ too. Had several other CZ pistols in lots of calibers just sold down to my 1911s and CZ 9 and Browning Hi Power along with couple wheel guns easier on the reloading and pocketbook I shoot my guns a lot not safe queens.
Roc1

Last edited by roc1; March 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:22 AM   #33
wooly booger

I have always thought the Featherweight was a handsome rifle with the schnabel foreend and Fleu de Lis checkering.

I have handled a had a few hunters in camp with the CZ's and they have all shot well and been accurate. The set trigger is great for load development and bench work. I recommend against it in hunting situations.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:36 AM   #34
wooly booger

Quote:
I guess everyone knows Winchester is not Winchester any more I went thru there plant in S.C. They are FN just like Browning both are owned by FN so it is not a true old Winchester anymore except name only
The Model 70s are made in South Carolina. All Browning long guns except a few 22s are made in Japan. Most high end Winchester lever guns as now made in Japan as well.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:27 PM   #35
SerenityNetworks

Re: CZ 550 American versus Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly booger View Post
CZ's... The set trigger is great for load development and bench work. I recommend against it in hunting
Hmmm. I think that would depend on the situation and the game sought. For long distance shots where the set trigger gives an advantage, there is typically time to set it. For shorter shots or on moving targets the trigger in unset position isn't a good as others, but still quite adequate (IMO).

Still, with all discussed, the Winchester seems the better choice for this need.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:45 PM   #36
Clevinger

Lot of great advice in this thread. Thanks.

Have any of you been put off an entire brand because of a bad previous experience like mine with the CZ 75B?

Again, I have heard many, many good things about the 550 Americans, so this wasn't intended to be a bash-CZ thread. I have friends who swear by them and just about everyone loves them, so I am wondering if my hesitancy is just bad luck from an isolated event.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:22 PM   #37
stubbicatt

Quote:
Have any of you been put off an entire brand because of a bad previous experience like mine with the CZ 75B?
Yes. I have not even looked at a Remington after I plunked down 2 1/2 times the cash for a 40X that I would have for a 700, due to those mill marks I discussed in my previous posting in this thread.

My entire perspective of the brand has diminished as a result of that experience, and I now view it as I used to view Savage, as a "Walmart" type rifle, of proletarian quality, where I used to see it as a premium brand. You might say I took that experience personally, I just don't trust them anymore.

-- That said, as a result of writing these words, and cogitating over your dilemma, I have decided to revisit my 20 year old judgment and see what Remington offers.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:32 PM   #38
Clevinger

Quote:
Yes. I have not even looked at a Remington after I plunked down 2 1/2 times the cash for a 40X that I would have for a 700, due to those mill marks I discussed in my previous posting in this thread.

Yeah, I saw you mention that. Similar scenario, sounds like.

It's like first impressions with people, they are important. If I had a long good history with CZ I probably would have written it off right away.

You probably get to listen to the army of Remington fans talk about how awesome their guns are.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #39
roc1

My Remington's and Savages will outshoot everything else I own or have owned. Even the my new Remington's are good shooters. I think you can get good and bad in anything. What you like really not what others tell you bottom line.
Roc1
Old March 3, 2013, 10:24 PM   #40
wooly booger

Quote:
Hmmm. I think that would depend on the situation and the game sought. For long distance shots where the set trigger gives an advantage, there is typically time to set it. For shorter shots or on moving targets the trigger in unset position isn't a good as others, but still quite adequate (IMO).

We'll just agree to disagree. If I have dragged a guy 5 miles into the backcountry and finally have him set up on a 6x6 bull at 200 yards that is getting ready to disappear into timber, I want to keep it simple. More than likely the rest will be improvised, his heart will be racing, hands even shaking, the last thing i want him to do is #1..waste time setting the trigger, #2 blow the shot by touching the hair trigger off before he is ready.

I can see the benefits of a set trigger if you are sitting in a shooting house overlooking a sendero in south Texas, nursing a cup of coffee or bloody mary waiting for a buck to step out.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:29 PM   #41
reynolds357

Wolly Booger, I set the trigger at the same time I flip off the safety. Kind of like hitting all three retention devices simultaneously on my duty holster. I always believe in training up to the level of your equipment, not bringing the equipment down to the level of someone who will not properly train.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:36 PM   #42
wooly booger

That is great. If you can make the shot, take the shot. I love set triggers for long easy shots from a stable rest. I am a firm believer in Mr. Murphy when I am at 10,00' with a fat easterner who's heart rate is pushing 160 and the rest is my backpack over a log.

Remember, a lost game animal unrecovered still counts against your license.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:04 AM   #43
SerenityNetworks

Re: CZ 550 American versus Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

We need to be careful not to hijack the OP's thread. Whichever choice the OP makes, he will be familiar with his own rifle and if I understand correctly the rifle is for his own personal use.

I've let a couple shoot my CZ that aren't familiar with it's features. I haven't even mentioned the set trigger. For them it shoots and shot just like every other rifle and they were still impressed with the accuracy. As I think we have all said, it's all about the situation.

And when it comes down to the OP's end decision, I'm curious as to what the decision was, is, or will be.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:41 AM   #44
Clevinger

Quote:
We need to be careful not to hijack the OP's thread. Whichever choice the OP makes, he will be familiar with his own rifle and if I understand correctly the rifle is for his own personal use.

I've let a couple shoot my CZ that aren't familiar with it's features. I haven't even mentioned the set trigger. For them it shoots and shot just like every other rifle and they were still impressed with the accuracy. As I think we have all said, it's all about the situation.

And when it comes down to the OP's end decision, I'm curious as to what the decision was, is, or will be.

Yes, the rifle is for my personal use. I'm a few weeks away from buying but have been brooding over this.

To give you a bad analogy, in my relationship I am 100% faithful. With guns, on the other hand, I am constantly looking around and wondering what I am missing out on.

However, I am leaning towards getting the model 70 featherweight under the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra.

The new model 70s are pretty awesome and I am thinking Winchester earned another purchase from me.

A couple of guys made a compelling argument too about the difference in expectations I would have for each gun.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:54 AM   #45
EMH

I bought a Model 70 in .308 last year and the very first time I took it hunting and the very first shot I made with it at an animal, I dropped an antelope in it's tracks at 600 yards away. Model 70 is a phenomenal rifle and I am hooked on it.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:23 AM   #46
Bart B.

EMH, 'twasn't the rifle that dropped that antelope; 'twas the bullet. Same bullet flying through the air at the same speed has the same effect on game regardless of it came from.

I do applaud your shooting skills, though, plus getting good zeros and using them.