The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: Which caliber Hawken rifle?
.54 15 62.50%
.50 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17, 2016, 12:17 AM   #1
Model12Win

.50 vs .54 Caliber

For a muzzle loading Hawken style rifle, which would you choose, and why?
Old January 17, 2016, 01:37 AM   #2
swathdiver

The Big Bore Fifty-Four!

Sounds a lot cooler than just a .50 caliber. That gives the uninitiated visions of the ma-deuce with soldiers, sailors and marines using them on Germans and Japs!

Next, the fifty four is about 20% larger which offers about 47 more grains of weight to the ball, therefore it carries more thump to the target. This added mass makes it a mite more wind resistant at normal hunting ranges and more apt to continue true to the target if it passes through a twig or leaf or two.

The rifle could be lighter, but probably not. More often than not, an accurate and powerful hunting load can be derived from the same amount of powder than one would use for the fifty.
Old January 17, 2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Hawg

The only thing better than a .54 is a .58. I used a .50 for over 30 years but when I got my first .54 I never looked back. I was given a .50 awhile back but haven't shot it since I got it.
Old January 17, 2016, 10:39 AM   #4
Pahoo

Either or both !!!

Quote:
For a muzzle loading Hawken style rifle, which would you choose, and why?
Kind of depends on the application but I personally would not waist lead on punching paper. So, my measure on this is that mass, kills. If you are leaning more for hunting than I'd pick the .54. For paper-punching than I'd lean toward the .50. Lately, I have pretty much settled on .45, for the bench. Either caliber is fine for both and a matter of personal choice. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2016, 08:58 PM   #5
sproulman

50 caliber will kill anything I hunt .You can get more supplies with 50 cal than 54 cal.yes a 54 will shoot bigger roundball is true....stay with 50 cal for many reasons ...
Old February 5, 2016, 10:28 PM   #6
Hawg

Cast your own balls and clean the bore with bore mops instead of patches. Everything else is the same as it is for a .50 and if you want a production gun get a Lyman Great Plains. It's as close as you're going to get to a real Hawken out of a reasonably priced production gun. The TC's, Investarms etc don't even come close.
Old February 5, 2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

2X on bore mops.