The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2020, 07:42 PM   #1
The Great Mahoo

Estate guns, looking for price insite

Hi all. I've been away from the shooting hobby for a good many years now, so am not up to date on current market trends. I've been asked by a family member about the sale of some firearms as part of an estate. Below are a list of several long guns I have been asked about, but don't feel up to advising on at this time.
I am hoping to gain some info on what I might get as a fair deal for them before I haul them all off to a shop. Any info on what you think is a fair price to accept would be appreciated.

CZ 527 Varmint .223 Remington w/ Nikon Monarch scope and harris bipod

Weatherby Mark V .257 Weatherby Mag w/ Leupold 3.5-10x scope

Remington 700 .22-250 w/ Nikon Prostaff 4-12x scope, bipod

Silma 28guage over-under double barrel (28" barrel I believe)

Mossin Nagant 91/30 w/ Hi-lux 2-7 long eye relief scope

Winchester Model69 - .22LR

Winchester 1885 Leveraction 12guage

W&W Greemer 12guage side x side black cap-lock shotgun

Thanks in advance! I'll see about getting some pictures for them, but this is what I have to go on at the moment.
Old September 4, 2020, 08:02 PM   #2
TXAZ

Go to gunbroker.com, find similar guns that have been sold and use that as a basis.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 5, 2020, 05:41 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome back, Great Mahoo!

You actually posted this in the classified section, but I think you'll get more action in the discussion forums, so I'm going to move it. If think that's a mistake, just PM me.
Old September 5, 2020, 11:29 PM   #4
5whiskey

The Mosin is a wildcard, it depends on how the scope is mounted. If done right and nice you can get a little more money. If not... a little less. Average without scope these days is $400ish give or take (yes for a Mosin ).

Remington 700 depends on condition and year range. Plus stock, etc. Don’t count on any extra money for the pro staff scope as a combo.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 6, 2020, 08:24 AM   #5
Kevin Rohrer

What Txaz said.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 6, 2020, 12:06 PM   #6
44caliberkid

I'll second using GunBroker, BUT, find ones that are getting bids and ad them to your watch list, then you will know what they actually sold for. A lot will have an inflated starting price and no one is bidding on them. Blue Book might be OK for some guns, but I go to a lot of live auctions and Blue Book prices are rarely realized. Then again, some people get carried away at the auctions and stuff will sell for much more than estimated values. A gun shop is like a pawn shop. They're going to offer you 50% of what they think they can sell it for, then might deal up from there.
The Winchester shotgun is likely an 1887, not an '85. Is it original or repro? Condition means everything and most of the '87's I see are pretty beat.
Old September 6, 2020, 03:52 PM   #7
FITASC

You can also look on a "For Sale" site like WWW.GunsInternational.com which is NOT an auction site, so you won't see guns sold through auction fever but priced decently from mostly brick and mortar stores. Good for double checking what you might fond on GB
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 6, 2020, 03:59 PM   #8
stinkeypete

+1 for gunbroker and finding prices that have been SOLD at.

Here is how:
1. Get yourself an account.
2. Search for the gun you want to know the price of which have starting prices so low that it's clear the person wants to get bidding. Put those on your watch list.
3. As the guns sell, you will be able to see on your watch list what they sold for.

** If you are not a cheapskate like me, Gunbroker offers a Pricing Report for $1.99 per gun which is probably worth it as collecting the pricing data for a list of guns might be a chore.