The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2020, 08:22 PM   #26
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
I had nearly the same experience with my cousin and his 300 weatherby, it chronographed a couple of hundred fps slower than his weatherby book claimed, at first he blamed my chronograph until we shot my 264wm through it and it was over what factory ammunition was supposed to be a good bit with my handloads.
That has not quelled his enthusiasm for those high gloss stocks and gold triggers one bit though.
I've considered getting a Terra mark in 6.5x300, probably make a fantastic elk rifle.
I love my 6.5x300. I got the $450V2. Its a tack driver and lives up to "the numbers on the box "
Old September 8, 2020, 08:26 PM   #27
reynolds357

Quote:
270 Weatherby is definitely of their better cartridges IMO, I'm a big fan of the 270wsm, the one I've loaded for got factory published velocities and a bit more.
What did yours get?
I never got within 150 fps of published. Start getting pressure signs well before max on most powders.
Pretty much same story in 2 rifles. One is a tc venture. One is a 77 Win with a Remington factory 270 wsm barrel. (Long story) the Win/Remington is faster than the Venture.
Old September 8, 2020, 08:26 PM   #28
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I love my 6.5x300. I got the $450V2. Its a tack driver and lives up to "the numbers on the box "
With the right bullet that's a legitimate 500yd rifle, probably 400yd gun in a full on Wyoming wind hunt where most people stay in the coffee shop.
Old September 8, 2020, 08:30 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
With the right bullet that's a legitimate 500yd rifle, probably 400yd gun in a full on Wyoming wind hunt where most people stay in the coffee shop.
Its a legitimate 800 yard hunting rifle. (In theory of course. I dont care to have the ethics debate for the thousandth time.)
Old September 8, 2020, 08:41 PM   #30
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Its a legitimate 800 yard hunting rifle. (In theory of course. I dont care to have the ethics debate for the thousandth time.)
I was basing my 500yd figure on a maximum point blank range, hold center of animal and your assured to hit out to 500yds assuming everything else is done right.
I get nervous about any shots past 350yds myself regardless of cartridge, time of flight starts entering into the equation and shooter error which can be a problem in the field unless the circumstances are perfect. I've shot a few antelope and one deer that were farther but I didn't enjoy the experience, I like 99% shots not I'm pretty sure shots.
Old September 9, 2020, 03:00 PM   #31
reynolds357

Quote:
I was basing my 500yd figure on a maximum point blank range, hold center of animal and your assured to hit out to 500yds assuming everything else is done right.
I get nervous about any shots past 350yds myself regardless of cartridge, time of flight starts entering into the equation and shooter error which can be a problem in the field unless the circumstances are perfect. I've shot a few antelope and one deer that were farther but I didn't enjoy the experience, I like 99% shots not I'm pretty sure shots.
I used to do the max pbr thing, but with laser range finders and exposed turret scopes. I now range and dial.
The only way I shoot over 400 is if I am basically hunting with great rest set up. I wont do it off a stand rail.
Old September 9, 2020, 04:13 PM   #32
Double K

Most of the long shots on game I take are in the flat prairie where mirage really makes laser rangefinders difficult to get a reading from hence the mpbr reliance.
Before laser rangefinders I used the reticle in a duplex scope to estimate range, sometimes I wonder if that wasn't a better.
Prone with a bi-pod is my favorite in the field long range set up, I say that now but I haven't laid down on one of those little barrel cactus in a couple of years!
Old September 9, 2020, 06:35 PM   #33
reynolds357

Quote:
Most of the long shots on game I take are in the flat prairie where mirage really makes laser rangefinders difficult to get a reading from hence the mpbr reliance.
Before laser rangefinders I used the reticle in a duplex scope to estimate range, sometimes I wonder if that wasn't a better.
Prone with a bi-pod is my favorite in the field long range set up, I say that now but I haven't laid down on one of those little barrel cactus in a couple of years!
Most of my hunting is in cooler weather, so I have never had mirage be a factor so bad that it messed up laser. You got me thinking. Next hot day I am going to go play with the laser range finder. I have never really used one in a mirage situation.
Old September 9, 2020, 06:55 PM   #34
Double K

I've read that the newest model from Sig sauer is supposed to have solved lots of those issues but at 1500.00 I'm not rushing out to buy one.
I paid almost 300.0 for the last Bushnell I bought which was supposed to be good to 1k, it's not, pretty good to 500 under good conditions.
They work really well out of tree stands, when it's cold outside and for archery hunting.
I use it for airgunning on a weekly basis, fantastic for that application.

btw what model do you have R357?
Old September 9, 2020, 07:23 PM   #35
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketCamera View Post
does anyone believe remington box velocity?
Yes. If fired in a SAAMI spec test barrel mounted in a test fixture.

According to SAAMI's ammo tests in different barrels, 308 Winchester ammo velocity changes about 25 fps for every inch of barrel length. Ammunition tested subsequent to manufacture using equipment and procedures conforming to SAAMI's guidelines can be expected to produce velocities within a tolerance of ±90 fps of the tabulated values.

I've seen a 50 fps velocity spread across 3 people shooting the same rifle and ammo.

Last edited by Bart B.; September 9, 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old September 18, 2020, 09:44 PM   #36
jersey joe

Referring to the very original post, I may have gone through the same exercise almost a year ago before I finally realized Remington pulled a fast one. Be sure to check the box label because Remington Express Core-Lokt is about 300 FPS slower in .270 130 grain PSP compared to the original Core-Lokt. I found one retailer that stated the Express 130 grain PSP is 2710 FPS compared to 3050 FPS stated in the Remington ballistic chart. If your ammunition states Express I would suspect that the FPS is slower and eight inches low may be the trajectory path.
Old September 19, 2020, 11:27 AM   #37
langenc

It is odd that gun makers use one length for velocity loistings and a shorter barrel on MOST ALL guns made--24" vs 26" or 22" vs 24".

Very misleadnig and approching fraud.