The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1
cloverleaf762

Range report-Upgraded CAR

Been disappointed with the accuracy of the 10.5" barrel that came with the oly arms car that I've had for 16 years. Even sand bagged it would put one, sometimes 2 rounds in a zero ring. 3 would never happen. Ok for close range, but I figured a bit more accuracy and the added velocity of moving up to a 16" barrel would be a better bet. After the barrel swap I expected to have the zero off quite a bit. As the following photo shows zero after the barrel swap was achieved in 6 rounds. Had no problem after that with going 40 for 40 on the US Army’s 25 meter reduced range qualification course. I should note that when I picked up this weapon back in 89 the factory parts sucked. I repeatedly busted bolts and went through sears every few hundred rounds. (Always noticed by everyone present when it would start dumping whole mags uncontrollably) That problem was fixed when I stopped using factory parts and went to mil spec stuff. Haven’t had problems with it since then-until after the upgrades. Along with the barrel I added a Wolff custom gun spring extra power extractor spring and the new black polymer insert. A D-fender d ring under the extractor. A one piece gas ring. And a solid firing pin retaining pin made by DPMS. In less than one mag the firing pin shattered, (may have been because it was old and has seen 10's of thousands of rounds) and the solid firing pin retaining pin busted. I promptly replaced them and tried again. The new firing pin kept working, but the replacement solid firing pin retaining pin busted again in less than one mag of shooting. I replaced it with the common cheap style one we are all familiar with and had no problems for the next few hundred rounds.

I like the idea of the solid firing pin retaining pins. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but until I can run a few k though the guns I have and not have them break they will not stay in my firearms for critical usage. For every other part I added they worked fine and make worth while additions to the 15's. I'll let everyone know how the new batch of pins work when they come in.

Barrel type I started with years ago.

Barrel type from DPMS I switched to.

Zero target after swap. Group size shrunk to less than 1/3rd of what it was. Of note is how close the point of impact was after changing barrels.

Busted solid fireing pins.