The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 25, 2020, 01:13 PM   #1
Bailey71

H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70

Long story short. My wife’s aunt went through a divorce some 4 or 5 yrs ago. Unbeknownst to me she kept most of the rifles they owned in a locked closet at my mother in laws house. One day my wife’s aunt heard me talking about wanting a 45/70. She said “I have a 45/70”. I said whaaaaat?!!? She said yeah and told me where the rifles were. She said go look at em and you can hunt with em if you want. I opened the closet and my eyes went straight to the 45-70. I pulled it out and the dang thang was as long as a well rope. I think it’s a 32” or 34” barrel. It’s a Harrington & Richardson model 1871 Buffalo Classic single shot with a scope. So she doesn’t shoot and it has just been sitting there for four or five years. I asked her to sale it to me and she just says “Ohhh I don’t know...”. That’s just nuts if you ask me. I don’t know a lot about the Buffalo Classic. All I know is it’s dinged up a little bit with no rust and I want it. Do any of you know much about these particular rifles? The one I’m talking about was manufactured in Gardner Massachusetts
Old May 25, 2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Bailey, Bailey Bailey.

We are hanging by our teeth. Photos please.
Old May 25, 2020, 05:45 PM   #3
DaveJames

As I remember they came out in the 1980's period, was a inexpensive rifle for the single shot black power shoots, came with a peep sight set up, its a rather nice rifle
Old May 25, 2020, 06:01 PM   #4
51cskipper

Check with the guys over at Graybeard
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-...re-rifles.html
Old May 25, 2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Bailey71

DocHoy I don’t have any pics of it. Next time I’m at my in-laws I’ll take a few and post. I see you’re in Florida. I live in Texas now but I’m from Florida myself. Fernandina Beach
Old May 25, 2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Pahoo

Not that old as issued in plastic gun-case

Quote:
As I remember they came out in the 1980's period, was a inexpensive rifle for the single shot black power shoots, came with a peep sight set up, its a rather nice rifle
I fairly sure that this is not the Buffalo Classic, the OP is refering to. This is an H&R 1871 and fairly current, 32" barrel. Came with a plastic factory case, manual. Mine came with Lyman globe front and tang peep sight. Cousin to the H&R, I believe it's called a "Handy-Rifle". It's a copy; not a replica. …
I'll go find a picture and post later ….

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=21&ajaxhist=0

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 25, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old May 25, 2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Bailey71

Yep Pahoo. That’s it exactly! So it is not a Buffalo Classic? Just from the small amount of googling I did I thought it was a BC. No matter as long as it shoots well and will kill hogs.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:18 AM   #8
Pahoo

Verdict not in yet

Quote:
So it is not a Buffalo Classic?
Not necessarily as it appears that there are a few generations of these. Regardless of how you do the sort, it is a "Buffalo-Classic. Mine had a Birch stock and others came with Walnut. Mine had beautiful case hardening but may be coated. I know there is an H&R forum and you might share this with then. Whenever you can, share some pictures with us. In the mean-time, enjoy what you have. thanks for the post. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old May 26, 2020, 10:22 AM   #9
Jim Watson

The one pictured looks like a Buffalo Classic to me, says so in the caption, too.

They were somewhat popular for CAS Single Shot side matches, being a lot cheaper than a Sharps.
The long heavy barrel makes it reasonably comfortable to shoot, the usual Handy Rifle is a kicker.
Old May 27, 2020, 06:22 PM   #10
Bailey71

Dang I can’t figure out how to post a pic. I’ll be back after I visit FAQ ������
Old May 30, 2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Bailey71

https://thefiringline.com/forums/images/editor/php.gif

Last edited by Bailey71; May 30, 2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Wrong thing