The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 8, 2022, 07:57 AM   #1
PushPuller

ZBP Classic Jack Zastava, Wag wobble/canted sights.

Hey everyone! So I recently re-introduced myself into the AK world with a PSA GF3 (actually don’t dislike it at all) but would honestly like to have a “legit” AK.

In my much more prior experience with some WASRs and GP1975s, mag wobble was atrocious and the front sights were canted. Although neither hindered functionality, it made it really difficult for me to love them.

So in an attempt to prevent either of those from happening (or at least badly). Do y’all have any suggestions for makes/manufactures in the $900-1400 price range that seems to have some decent QC? Iv been eyeing the WBP classic Jack and ZPAP M70s, with a larger focus towards the WBP.

I totally understand AKs are AKs and sometimes a canted sight or wobbly mag are just part of their personalities, but surely not ALL AK personalities right?
Old January 8, 2022, 08:59 AM   #2
JustJake

You'd have to ask Jack Zavasta. He's supposed to be an expert on such matters.
Old January 9, 2022, 01:03 AM   #3
Ignition Override

PushPuller:
I just sent you a PM about what, among highly-seasoned AKM owners/builders, appears to be the most popular imported type, the Polish WBP.

In addition to the 1,000 rds. in my Zastava ZPAP (bought in August), with no cant at 30 yards -- my max. distance, using only our Action Pistol ranges-- there is very little mag wobble.

Please note: all of my AKM mags are Hungarian Tankers. No exceptions at all. "If it ain't broken, don't 'fix' it."
Old January 9, 2022, 01:14 AM   #4
BCR1

The reason for mag wobble is the monkey's at century don't know how to enlarge a single stack mag well. My Bulgarian 74 doesn't suffer from that malady.

Bill
Old January 10, 2022, 10:44 PM   #5
Ignition Override

BCR-1:
Let's mention for the unfamiliar that Century has taken so many shameful shortcuts in so many ways.
These are just a few:

Grinding (!) boltheads to allow temporary safe headspace on CETMEs, C-93s.

Intentionally installing the Wrong barrels (5.56) in some of their 5.45 rifles: Tantals.

Using lower-grade commercial steel (to comply with retail price limitations) in the RAS-47 rifle's receiver compared to steel used in imported AKMs.

Century's customer warranties begin when a gun is manufactured, not when the customer buys the gun, unless this has changed.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 10, 2022 at 11:46 PM.

Tags
ak47 , mag wobble , wbp , zpap