The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 23, 2020, 12:55 AM   #1
montana09

Long Range Scope

I just built an Aero Precision AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm looking to do some long range shooting 500+ yards (I'm not planning to be some 1000 yard wizard) just would like to be comfortably proficient at the longer ranges, and am currently looking for a scope for the rifle. As some backing issue it's a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel with a 1:8 twist. I'm shopping around looking in the under $500 range. The running favorites are a 6.5-20x44mm Vortex Viper; a 6-24x50mm Vortex Crossfire II; or some version of a Leupold in the 20+ magnification range (watch eBay and gunbroker a lot wouldn't mind used for Vortex or Leupold with their warranty). One outside contender is the Riton 5-25x, a local gun store recommended it, but I don't know anything about the brand. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions, I'm more partial to Vortex or Leupold, as I've owned both and loved them.
Old February 23, 2020, 06:40 AM   #2
std7mag

Leupold VX-6HD 4-24X52 CDS Sidefocus.

Naaa, just mess'n!

I have, love a Sightron STAC 4-20X50. Can pick one up in the $400-450 range.

But just so you know, a decent 12 power will get you to 600 yards. It's not F-Open material, but to hit steel, target, 12 power does work.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 23, 2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Bart B.

Get a fixed power scope. Their windage and elevation adjustments are more repeatable than variables. A Weaver T24, for example.

What advantages do variables have over fixed magnification scopes that makes them so popular?

Last edited by Bart B.; February 23, 2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old February 23, 2020, 09:23 AM   #4
ms6852

Vortex Tactical will provide you with more internal elevation adjustment for long range and within your price point.

Personally I am a fan of the Bushnell Forge, I own two of the and within your price point as well.
Old February 23, 2020, 09:35 AM   #5
MarkCO

Vortex, if you are not going to spend over $1000, not a good option. Parallax and fragility in their bottom end. When the main discussion is about how good their warranty is, something to consider.

The lower end of Leupold, Nightforce and Burris are all better options and there are some from each that will only stretch your budget a little. But you won't be frustrated and sending them in for warranty work. The Burris RT-15 3-15x50mm is certainly once to consider.

The budget king is SWFA and you can get the features you need and the reliability as well. Especially if you get a fixed, you can buy more ammo. They are good enough that you will want to keep it as a scope to put on new rifles as you move up to nicer ones on others.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Bart B.

Parallax ... in their bottom end?

Why is parallax a problem with a scope?

Us humans are the cause of parallax issues.

SWFA says their Ares BTR 4.5-27×50 scope has mechanics that give the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times. How much recoil does your rifle have?

Last edited by Bart B.; February 23, 2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old February 23, 2020, 02:36 PM   #7
jmr40

The SWFA Super Sniper scopes are hard to beat for the money. And you don't need 20X. In fact much over 10X and the negatives start to outweigh the positives, especially with less expensive scopes. If the scope is clear with fine cross hairs 1X per 100 yards is enough magnification.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-t....html?___SID=U

SWFA makes this scope in 6X, 10X, 12X, 16X and 20X fixed powers. Regular price is $299, but they run sales from time to time. I paid $239 each for 2 of the 6X versions. I know several people who own them and the 6X is the best of the bunch, 20X the least desirable. I personally wouldn't go over 10X. I've shot out to 600 yards with my 6X along with several other friends and we've managed 3/4 MOA.

If it has to be a variable this is a little over your budget, but once again they run sales. I paid $450 for mine around Black Friday

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x....html?___SID=U

This is supposed to be a better quality scope with better glass. It is, but not by much. It's about double the price of the fixed power version, but not twice as good. But I wanted the versatility of lower magnification for a hunting rifle.

I'd suggest the fixed 10X above to get you started. Use it a while and if you decide you want to upgrade later you'll have a better idea exactly what you want by then. In the meantime you'll have a very good scope and won't have any trouble selling it later when you upgrade.

Winston Churchill