The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 23, 2020, 12:23 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Athlon Optics Helos BTR 8-32x56

I am buying a new Tactical/Target rifle. I have been looking at optics in the $400-$650 range. I came across the Athlon Optics Helos BTR 8-34x56 and it caught my eye.

The price is right at $600 so I guess I am looking for someone here with experience with these optics. Positive or negative feedback. Thanks all.

I Went ahead and ordered this optic, because it has everything I am looking for.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine

Last edited by kilotanker22; January 23, 2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Better description
Old January 25, 2020, 10:40 PM   #2
std7mag

What's a "tactical rifle"?

Personally i'd get a Sightron STAC, or maybe a SIII.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 26, 2020, 06:59 AM   #3
Nathan

I would be interested to hear your experience. In general, I avoid lower priced high power optics, but Athlon has a pretty good name.

I would have probably went with something I trust like the SS 3-15 mil-mil scope.
Old January 26, 2020, 10:02 AM   #4
std7mag

Kilo,
I'm taking it this is for the new long distance rifle.
That being the case, i would ask over at www.accurateshooter.com
Those guys are all about long range!
Very friendly, and helpful.

Meet ya there! Lol

Old January 26, 2020, 03:15 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Thanks for the tip. I will create an account there.

This is for the same rifle I posted about in Art of the Rifle thread.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 03:21 PM   #6
kilotanker22

My definition of Tactical depends. I don't necessarily relate shorter/lighter rifles with varmint barrels tactical.

I have been there with snipers, Elite Rangers, Force Recon Marines and assisted in a few Special Operations. Although the typical view of Tactical usually apply. That doesn't always fit. Anyone who has ever fired and carried a Barret M-107 A1, or a 338 Lapua sniper rifle with a big US Optics scope knows that ta tical doesn't necessarily mean light and handy.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 05:43 PM   #7
std7mag

Well, there's always the TS line from US Optics.

Old January 27, 2020, 02:02 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I bought into Sightron when they first showed up in my area about 22 years ago. I based the decision partly on being able to compare one side-by-side with an equivalent mil-dot reticule Leupold and partly on price (at the time, a significant discount price came with it to encourage new customers to take a chance on it). So, if a newer kid comes along and is offering good quality at a lower price point to help carve out some market position, I'd like to hear about it. I look forward to your report.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 27, 2020, 04:50 PM   #9
sako2

My varmint rig has a Argos btr on it. Scope is heavy has good glass and is clear. Good scope for the money.
Old January 28, 2020, 04:46 PM   #10
kilotanker22

Like I said I ordered this optic, but turns out it is back ordered. I am gonna end up canceling this order and buying something else.

I was considering the Riton Optics conqueror line. They sport Japanese HD glass, zero stop turrets, etched reticles and seem to have good reviews.
– St. Augustine
Old January 29, 2020, 08:31 PM   #11
std7mag

The reviews are so good that i've never heard of them..

Old January 30, 2020, 06:24 PM   #12
kilotanker22

Small company, started a few years ago. I have only found a couple reviews, but they were good reviews.

All in all I am not sure now. I know Vortex will give me a discount and I like their products well enough. Their warranty is great too.
– St. Augustine
Old January 31, 2020, 03:22 AM   #13
std7mag

I have 3 of the Vortex Crossfire II. Good scope for the price.
I didn't care for the Diamondback. Not enough better, and in some was worse than the Crossfie II and significantly higher price.
Though i've heard good about the Diamondback HD.
Still, for the price of one of those, your looking lower end Viper range.
Biggest issue i have with Vortex is flare up, where you can't see the reticle.

My Sightrons have been way better at this. I also feel better clarity also.
I just put a Field Target 4-12X40 with MOA reticle on my 7mm Rem Mag. Only thing i don't care for thus far is that it has an adjustable objective.

I really like my STAC 4-20X50. It has the same MOA reticle. Very fine line, with center dot.
I just wish it were lighter weight.

Old January 31, 2020, 09:36 AM   #14
10-96

I've got an Athlon scope at the house somewhere. I'd look, but I'M TDY for a while. Anyways, most of the reviews I'd read were on Air Rifle sites and boards. And, I believe they have a reputation for being a fairly tough scope since they are springer air rifle rated (supposedly). I thought they were in cahoots with Aeon scopes, but I can no longer find anything which supports that.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 31, 2020, 04:47 PM   #15
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
I have 3 of the Vortex Crossfire II. Good scope for the price.
I didn't care for the Diamondback. Not enough better, and in some was worse than the Crossfie II and significantly higher price.
Though i've heard good about the Diamondback HD.
Still, for the price of one of those, your looking lower end Viper range.
Biggest issue i have with Vortex is flare up, where you can't see the reticle.

My Sightrons have been way better at this. I also feel better clarity also.
I just put a Field Target 4-12X40 with MOA reticle on my 7mm Rem Mag. Only thing i don't care for thus far is that it has an adjustable objective.

I really like my STAC 4-20X50. It has the same MOA reticle. Very fine line, with center dot.
I just wish it were lighter weight.
Vortex gives a pretty big discount for Veterans and LE people. I will probably end up buying a Vortex Viper HST, or PDT Gen2.

Leupold also gives a pretty large discount for Militay/LE. I might look into the VX 3i LRP or the VX 5HD in 3-15x44 with the CDS system and zero lock.
– St. Augustine
Old February 2, 2020, 08:36 AM   #16
AgedWarrior

I looked at Athlon products for a while before I finally tried one. I have a Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP IR on my AR10 build in .308. Remarkably good scope for the dollar! Clarity is excellent at all magnification levels. The reticle is excellent and fine enough for precision shooting at a distance. I have shot it out to 750 yards. Nice adjustment clicks...very positive.
Old February 2, 2020, 11:35 AM   #17
kilotanker22

For the money you certainly get a lot for the money with Athlon. That is the main reason I was looking at them to begin with.
– St. Augustine
Old February 2, 2020, 08:36 PM   #18
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
Small company, started a few years ago. I have only found a couple reviews, but they were good reviews.

All in all I am not sure now. I know Vortex will give me a discount and I like their products well enough. Their warranty is great too.
Until you top $1200 Vortex glass is crappy. I dont mean crappy compared to S&B, I mean its just in general crappy. Edge distortion at low power, blurry at high power, no depth; just crappy.
Old February 3, 2020, 03:25 AM   #19
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Until you top $1200 Vortex glass is crappy. I dont mean crappy compared to S&B, I mean its just in general crappy. Edge distortion at low power, blurry at high power, no depth; just crappy.
Got any good recommendations? with similar costs?
– St. Augustine
Old February 3, 2020, 10:40 AM   #20
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
Got any good recommendations? with similar costs?
Burris four x has crazy good glass for the money.