The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 18, 2017, 02:08 AM   #1
bungiex88

How easy would it be

I’ve seen the videos of people prying open a big box store safe in a couple minutes with pry bars. But all the videos they have the safe on its back. How true would this be with a big box store gun safe was bolted to the with all sides and back up against concrete so only the door was accessible.
Old December 18, 2017, 03:04 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It is my understanding that the added difficulty of forcing a safe open when it is upright is possibly the best argument for bolting a safe down.
Old December 18, 2017, 03:00 PM   #3
5whiskey

That's the issue isn't it? Those videos ARE sensational considering you spend 500-600 bucks on even a cheaper safe. That's a lot of money to spend on something that can be broken into in a couple of minutes.

But I would like to see those videos replicated with a safe properly bolted to the floor and wall with lag bolts, and in the confined spaces that safes are often kept. At least one of those videos has a 4' pry bar to do most of the work. You won't wield that 4' pry bar in my closet where I have mine.

As always, though, layered security is best. I am a fan of the audible alarm.
Old December 18, 2017, 04:34 PM   #4
WarPig1976

It's not the prying open you have to worry about. The thing can be bolted down bottom and rear. What you need to worry about is the guy with the angle grinder that can open the big box store fire safe "that's all they're really good for" like a tin can from the top or sides.
Old December 18, 2017, 04:36 PM   #5
std7mag

I welded mine shut.
I wanna see someone pry that thing open!!

Ohhh...
Wait....
Old December 18, 2017, 05:11 PM   #6
bungiex88

Unless you spend upwards of $7000 you will not stop and angle grinder for the size I would need. My safes are in a concrete room behind a steel door with 3 sides of concrete around it. I found a fault that would deter grinders and torches but I can’t spend 7000 on one maybe in the future but not right now
Old December 18, 2017, 05:57 PM   #7
kenny53

I have two Stack on safes. They are plenty good enough to keep neighbor kids out and the meth head passing through. If you have a dedicated thief willing to bring in grinding wheels and cutting torches they can get into them. Look for good sales and clearance items and you should be good to go.
Old December 18, 2017, 06:59 PM   #8
FITASC

A lot of the cheaper safes can also be cracked open by using a sledge hammer on a corner where there has been a cheap welding job.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 20, 2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Chainsaw.

Ive seen a video of a guy opening a cheap safe with a strong neodymium magnet. Inventory your guns, keep the serial numbers and photos of all in a safe place and update your home owners insurance to cover the cost of replacing them.
Old December 20, 2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
It is my understanding that the added difficulty of forcing a safe open when it is upright is possibly the best argument for bolting a safe down.
I agree that it is the best argument for bolting down a safe.

Number 2 best reason: thugs that find a safe, if they cannot open it as it stands with eventually use force to knock it over, if nothing more than frustration or a lack of other ideas. My handguns, as arranged in my safe currently, would almost be more safe if they were stolen, than to be thrown all about and in to each other. Just imagining it gives me nightmares.

Number 3 best reason, especially if you are rural: Don't discount the chance that thieves who know you have firearms would attempt to remove the safe from your property and surgically open it somewhere else where they had the benefit of time/space/tools.

Bolting down a safe is boldface, underline, ITEM #2 after closing the door and spinning the dial.
Old December 20, 2017, 03:11 PM   #11
Jim Watson

A friend locks up his diamond wheels and torch tips so at least they can't use his own tools to break in his gun case.
Old December 20, 2017, 04:07 PM   #12
bungiex88

Most your home owners insurers out there will only cover a couple thousand dollars in firearms unless you get each gun appraised at about $100 per gun. I have been researching gun insurance and a lot of them don’t require pictures and serial number but it would probably help out a lot if you did. I do have all my serials for guns and scopes I paid an arm and leg for all written down and pictures taken of everything and I keep 1 copy off sight in someone else’s safe
Old December 26, 2017, 09:28 AM   #13
Lavan

A safe without an alarm system is just a gun box.
Old December 26, 2017, 01:11 PM   #14
WarPig1976

Does anybody own a Liberty safe? Thoughts?
Old December 26, 2017, 02:36 PM   #15
bungiex88

My brother inlaw owns one. But it’s a big box store version. Composite doors and almost the same construction of the cannon I got. Although craftsmanship is a lot better then my cannon. Liberty does make good safes but the ones you can get in a big box store is nothing more then a steel lock box. Same way with cannon they have versions of gun safes that are really nice and a lot better built then the big box store ones
Old December 26, 2017, 03:25 PM   #16
OzeanJaeger

Mine is bolted down and the house is alarmed. The safe is only to slow them down. They would have to bring equipment in while the screamer was going off. I've accidently tripped it a few times, and you can't even hear yourself think. I doubt anyone could get into it before the cops arrived.

That said, all my guns are on my policy by serial number. When I get a new one I send the info to my agent, he adds it, and sends me the updated adendum.
Old December 27, 2017, 09:52 AM   #17
bungiex88

See I was told to get them on your policy that you had to get then appraised at $100 a peice then homeowners will cover it.