The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 16, 2018, 04:26 PM   #1
rjinga

Sneaky Pete Holster for Shield 9mm

I received the ballistic nylon Sneaky Pete holster for my S&W 9mm Shield today. The main reason I bought the holster is for certain work days, and I think it’s going to work well in that situation.

I’m an attorney, and I’m in court four or five times a month with my main client. During those times, I’m in a suit and I can’t carry in the Judicial Building. On those days I will also go to the client’s office to meet with the staff and their customers also. And, since I live in the balmy to down-right hot state of Georgia, I take my suit coat off whenever possible. Therefore, I don’t usually have a cover garment for a regular OWB or IWB holster (not a fan of tuckable holsters).

I had an inexpensive daily planner/holster to carry my Sig P229 on those days. However, I was never really comfortable not having the firearm on me, and on a few occasions I have walked off leaving the planner/holster outside of immediate arm’s reach. So, when I ordered my Shield, I started looking at the Sneaky Pete and similar holsters, and ended up ordering the one I received today.

Here’s the SP sitting on top of the daily planner; and, the firearm inside the SP:

Here are the rough dimensions:

Jeans and T-shirt:

Suit pants and T-shirt (b/c I was too lazy to put on a dress shirt):

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old January 19, 2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Mackie244Bud

I also see that you are wearing a Kore Essentials Trakline Gun Belt....
https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts

I wear the same belt and I love it!

I carry my M&P Shield 9mm IWB at 4 O'Clock in a Aegis Armory Hybrid Shield holster..
Meaning it can be used for IWB or OWB.
Link Here: http://aegisarmory.us/

Your "Sneaky Pete" holster intrigues me.
It can be worn outside like a cell phone case.
How easy is it to retrieve your Shield from it?
The Shield comes out of my Aegis Armory IWB holster very quick and easy.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; January 19, 2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:15 PM   #3
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie244Bud View Post
I also see that you are wearing a Kore Essentials Trakline Gun Belt.... I wear the same belt and I love it!
I really like mine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie244Bud View Post
Your "Sneaky Pete" holster intrigues me.
It can be worn outside like a cell phone case.
How easy is it to retrieve your Shield from it?
Well, you can't get a full combat grip on it until you bring it up out of the case. Nevertheless, by my third attempt I was averaging 1.75 seconds on the draw (right hand down at my side; start timer with left hand; draw firearm with right hand to hip-shot stance; stop timer with left hand)

Here's a video of one person's draw technique: https://youtu.be/iuK3i1niAxw

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old January 25, 2018, 07:09 PM   #4
rjinga

UPDATE

Today was my first court/office day since I got the SP holster. I think it went pretty well. I didn't notice anyone at the office looking at it, and not a single person asked what it was.

That was kind of surprising since my office is mostly women, and they aren't afraid of being nosy. (I am not saying ALL women are nosy. What I am saying is that most of the women at this particular office are.)

I also wore the SP while eating lunch at Subway, and getting my hair cut at my local barber. Once again, I didn't notice any strange looks at either place. And, none of the barbers, who've known me for years, said anything about it either.

One drawback I did notice when wearing it with suit pants is that it pretty much makes my right front pocket inaccessible. I had to switch my keys and money to my left front pocket. Also, skinny chairs with armrests can be a problem too.

Old January 26, 2018, 11:23 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

So would you say this is working for you, this Sneaky Pete holster?

Your draw will always be slower but a slow draw is better than a fast surrender.

I can definitely sympathize with having to take a gun off and then put it back on as well as not wanting to use off-body carry.

Most people don't notice ANYTHING. I have been carrying a speed strip for my .38 in a leather pouch at my 2 O'Clock belt position for nearly two years now and only one person has ever asked what that was. SMH. It's a little bit small to pass off as a cell phone case even though I use a flip phone.

I can see an advantage to the SP right off.....it looks to attach with a clip so you can take the gun and holster off together. That way you aren't brandishing at any point and don't forget your gun in your car, as I tend to do if I have to go into the courthouse for any reason. LOL *I have gone about all day with an empty holster......now wouldn't that be awkward in a robbery situation?
Old January 27, 2018, 12:13 AM   #6
Water-Man

You're obviously asking for opinions, so here's mine.

With non gun people you're probably good to go.

With gun people it's a different story.

Here's something different I came across but have no first hand knowledge of.
http://www.ccwbreakaways.com/
Old January 30, 2018, 07:27 PM   #7
rjinga

UPDATE: 2nd day wearing SP out, and in the office

I wore my SP to Subway for lunch (again), and then wore it as I walked around the office and talked with the staff today. Just like last time, I didn't notice anyone looking at it, and no one asked me what it was. That includes one particular staff member that I deal with a lot. If you're familiar with the concept of the "work spouse," I consider her my "work ex-spouse." If she would have noticed it, she wouldn't have hesitated to ask me about it.

Old January 30, 2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Those things are just so damn big, at some point, someone is going to ask. That said, most people are oblivious to their surroundings but i'd guess someone has noticed it so far.

The other thing of course, gun people know exactly what hell it is.
Old January 30, 2018, 07:47 PM   #9
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
Those things are just so damn big, at some point, someone is going to ask. That said, most people are oblivious to their surroundings but i'd guess someone has noticed it so far.

The other thing of course, gun people know exactly what hell it is.
Most people not noticing would be a pretty good result; it'd take that.

Old January 30, 2018, 11:45 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

ringa,

It is working and that's all that matters.

If anyone asks you could say "my Ipad case" and not be lying....I'm sure you could fit an Ipad or big cell phone in there.

*Each of us has different needs and ways to get there. You are doing the best you know how and it's working for you. Keep up with the draw practice and learn how to fall down and draw from the ground. You might have to do that and with SP, it might be an ace in the hole move.
Old January 31, 2018, 11:33 PM   #11
rjinga

It finally happened: On my third day of wearing the SP out to lunch, and around the office, as I was leaving the supervisor asked me "What is that thing on your hip?" My response was "Have you ever heard of a personal digital assistant?" "Yes" she replied. "Well, this is my PDA." Now, I meant personal defense assistant, but she didn't ask me to elaborate, so...

Old February 3, 2018, 07:52 AM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Very good ringa. You did have to lie a bit, as your pistol isn't "digital" at all (thank God it isn't!).

Instead of saying "this is" ask "would you believe?" I call it "Clintonian language."

I once bought 5 wooden cases of 8mm ammo, about 3,500 rounds total. I had to borrow a friend's truck to haul it and as I was carrying it up the steps to my (then) apartment, I stacked the crates up outside my door prior to carrying them all in. WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT, the neighbor that was never home pops by. "Hey! What are all these boxes?" *Clearly he wasn't a gun guy or had he been in the military, as ammo crates are known to each. I had to think fast, "would you believe those are truck parts? Everything is made overseas now, I hate it!"

Him: "truck? What truck do you have?

Me: "I have a 1972 Chevy stepside." (That is true, I have owned it since 1994).

After that, all he wanted to talk about was the truck, forgetting that I didn't actually answer his question.

Buying 4K rounds of ammo in that large metro city was legal but most city people are clueless and scared to death of the single guy with an ammo addiction. *I later won three trophies with that surplus Romanian ammo.

I also didn't lie. "Would you believe?" is not a lie, it's a question.

**"Would you believe that is my Ipad holder? It's terrible we have to carry these massive things around, I honestly liked life better when we used books!"

Question followed by a deflecting rant. The rant will most likely lead them down the path of telling you how much they love the convenience of their smartphones.
Old February 4, 2018, 10:38 PM   #13
1MoreFord

I've only seen a few of these but the first one I saw caught my attention and I tracked the guy until he was outa my sight. I didn't know what it was but I knew something was afoot. When I got home I started looking on the internet and found out it was a Sneaky Pete. Gun nuts will know what it is and won't bother you and the normal sheeple won't notice or know what it is but the thugs of the world will learn and notice and treat you as a threat.
Old February 5, 2018, 01:24 PM   #14
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
Gun nuts will know what it is and won't bother you and the normal sheeple won't notice or know what it is...
I think that most of the gun nuts would probably notice and know. I also think that most of the sheeple wouldn't notice or know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
... but the thugs of the world will learn and notice and treat you as a threat.
Maybe it's the circles I travel in, or the general quality of our thugs, or both, but I'm really not that concerned about being targeted because of the SP.