The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 1, 2016, 12:06 PM   #1
454 Super Redhawk

thoughts EOTECH

What is the likes and dislikes of the EOTECH EXPSP-2. Is it worth the money.
Old June 1, 2016, 10:13 PM   #2
9x45

Eotech has a 1 MOA dot and a 68 MOA circle. That's a 68" diameter circle at 100 yards, What would you use that for? Get a good 1-4 scope instead, and for half the $$$.
Old June 2, 2016, 01:10 AM   #3
kozak6

Did you miss the government lawsuit, all of the controversy, the defect coverups, fraudulently overcharging the DoD for maintenance, and the massive recall?

Although I'm not sure I'm comfortable dealing with Eotech as a company, I was hoping that all this would at least crash the price down into the affordable range. Somehow this hasn't happened

It seems like an Aimpoint is the better choice at this point. A massive bonus with the Aimpoint is that it offers ridiculously more battery life. If I recall correctly, it's some absurd figure, something like 80x the battery life.
Old June 3, 2016, 11:35 PM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x45
Eotech has a 1 MOA dot and a 68 MOA circle. That's a 68" diameter circle at 100 yards, What would you use that for?
The 65-MOA circle serves three purposes:

1) It helps draw the eye to the center dot withing getting in the way. Without it, the 1 MOA center dot would be more difficult to find and would need to be bigger. But because of the ring, the center dot can be made smaller for more precise shooting and yet can still be found quickly and easily.

2) It helps you shoot super-quickly at close CQB ranges. In close quarters, just put your target roughly in the center of the 65-MOA circle and you're good to go.

3) It's used for range finding. If a man fits inside the circle, you know he's 100 yards away. If he fits half inside the circle, he's 200 yards away. Etc.

So the EOTech reticle provides an excellent combination of speed and precision. For overall military use, I think it's a better reticle than the simple 2-MOA dot of an Aimpoint. However, the downside to the EOTech reticle is that it needs a lot more power than the Aimpoint does; you can't just turn it on and leave it on.

So I prefer the Aimpoint because of the vast increase in battery life; I can just turn my Aimpoint on and leave it on all the time. Besides, I'm not in the military anymore and I don't do a lot of tactical shooting these days, so the Aimpoint reticle serves me just fine.

Last edited by Theohazard; June 3, 2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old June 4, 2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Targa

For reasons that Kozak6 mentioned, if I were dropping that kind of coin on a red dot it wouldn't be on a Eotech. Moot point really, I will never drop that kind of coin on any red dot.