The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2018, 12:24 AM   #51
LineStretcher

Just picked up a Sig P238 Black Pearl this evening. I bought 100 rounds of Hornady Extreme Defense and will give them a try. I won't go through a bunch of scientific testing but I may run a few by the LabRadar just to see what they'll do in this short barrel. Fire danger is still too high to shoot steel so paper will have to do.
Old August 16, 2018, 10:41 AM   #52
lonniemike

New to the game are 65 grain ExtremeDefender and 56 grain ARX bullets as componets and loaded ammo. My computer-fu skills are limited. Perhaps someone else may post video links.TIA
Old August 21, 2018, 07:04 PM   #53
Doc TH

I believe this in part depends on the barrel length of the 380 acp pistol. The micro- and mini pistols with very short barrels will not provide the same ballistics as the 3 - inch + barrels of the Beretta 80 series, Browning BDA or some of the Bersa's.
Old August 21, 2018, 07:43 PM   #54
HighValleyRanch

In a few days when I pick up my Sig 230 SL, I can chrono some loads out of its 3" barrel.
Old August 22, 2018, 01:19 PM   #55
MisterCrabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer hunter88 View Post
For those of you who own a .380 do you prefer to carry fmj or hollow points? I’m thinking about buying a .380 and I’m not sure if I should load it with fmj or hollow points.
So, I use an lcp II as my edc. Use a good holster and there is no greater than normal risk for negligent discharge. I split the difference on ammo choice and load Hornady critical defense alternating with fmj ball. Eats either equally well.
Old August 25, 2018, 02:30 AM   #56
Model12Win

Hollow tips.

Carrying fullies is socially irresponsible due to the overpen factor risks.

Keep the fullies for the range, carry hollows for tac use.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:59 AM   #57
Andy Blozinski

"Socially irresponsible". Really?
Old August 26, 2018, 03:21 AM   #58
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
A better question is why some of those gimmicks find life in the market. Could it be because not everyone has all the facts or a decent understanding of the physics? Is it because someone believed a commercial they saw or some wild advertising claim they heard? How about that recommendation or story from a buddy, some dude at the range, or that wise old man who hangs out at the gun store?

The reality is that a lot of people don't have all the facts or a decent understanding of things from physics to how crime and violence work. That goes for a lot of people, from the elected officials writing gun control legislation to people who love guns, use guns, work with guns, etc. There is a lot to learn and there is a veritable sea of misinformation out there. Heck, I've been around guns all my life and I'm still learning.

Just a thought, but let's take it easy on someone with three posts who might be here to learn.
Maybe it's just enough to make them think? Didn't think I was being too hard on him...
Old August 26, 2018, 05:44 PM   #59
MisterCrabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Hollow tips.

Carrying fullies is socially irresponsible due to the overpen factor risks.

Keep the fullies for the range, carry hollows for tac use.

Overpenetration with a 380? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 26, 2018, 06:57 PM   #60
Leaf

I’m not reporting from actual experience or observation but I'm thinkin Hornady .380 critical defense might just in all likelihood fully penetrate and exit a human skull at close range. Probably not much umph left after that though.

I have seen what a .22 magnum fired from a 4 or 5 inch revolver can do to a human skull and I can't help but imagine a .380 wouldn't be a "hole" lot different.
Old August 26, 2018, 07:11 PM   #61
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I’m not reporting from actual experience or observation but I'm thinkin Hornady .380 critical defense might just in all likelihood fully penetrate and exit a human skull at close range.
This is the best analysis of various .380 ammo, and Hornady Critical defense failed the test to even penetrate to the standard 12 inches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts
Old August 26, 2018, 07:26 PM   #62
Leaf

Front to back I'm pretty sure my skull isn't wider than 12 inches. I'm guessing after about eight inches I'd be hurtin.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:55 PM   #63
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrabby View Post
Overpenetration with a 380? Lol.

Oh yeah, that's right!! It's the INTERNET!!! I have to use LOL and then everything I say is automatically right!!!

Well how about this, genius, FMJ .380 overpenetrates LOL!!! SEE KNOW I'M RIGHT TOO!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 26, 2018, 10:44 PM   #64
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
Just picked up a Sig P238 Black Pearl this evening. I bought 100 rounds of Hornady Extreme Defense and will give them a try. I won't go through a bunch of scientific testing but I may run a few by the LabRadar just to see what they'll do in this short barrel. Fire danger is still too high to shoot steel so paper will have to do.
Took it to the indoor range and it shot pretty well for a brand new gun. No chrono at the range but I shot well at 9, 15 and 21 ft. That's pretty much all the distances I will ever need to shoot it at. I had one miss feed but that was when I switched to the extended mags and I didn't fully seat it. Never happened again.
Old August 27, 2018, 06:41 AM   #65
MisterCrabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Oh yeah, that's right!! It's the INTERNET!!! I have to use LOL and then everything I say is automatically right!!!

Well how about this, genius, FMJ .380 overpenetrates LOL!!! SEE KNOW I'M RIGHT TOO!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troll much ?

Old August 27, 2018, 08:31 PM   #66
franco45

Quote:
I carry Fiocchi xtp jhp in my RM380.
I carry these in my RM380, my LCP and my Pico.
Old August 28, 2018, 09:34 AM   #67
Terminatorret

FMJ's only in my .380's.
Here's my go-to argument:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/98...ing-erich.html
Old August 30, 2018, 08:57 PM   #68
Dragger34

My gf has a Walther PK380, use Buffalo Bore +P (not real +P but higher pressure) JHP's. Never had a feed issue.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:13 PM   #69
Dragger34

Awhile back someone passed away from a bb gun incident. It broke through the front of his skull and went through his brain, no exit wound. He went down and that was it.

.380 from a Derringer is more than enough to break through skull and rib enough to reach brain, heart, or lungs.

It doesn't have to blast all of your organs through your butthole into the next county leaving you an empty hollow husk to incapacitate or deter you from being a threat. If it is reliable and can reach those main organs it is effective.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:33 PM   #70
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Awhile back someone passed away from a bb gun incident. It broke through the front of his skull and went through his brain, no exit wound. He went down and that was it.

.380 from a Derringer is more than enough to break through skull and rib enough to reach brain, heart, or lungs.
Different parts of the skull are more vulnerable than others. Anatomy in general is like that. Every once in a while, we see someone who is otherwise swiss cheese with a reaper on the way continuing their rampage. Every once in a while, someone drops a big animal with a single shot of .22 LR.

Guns in general are incredible force multipliers. The .380 offers significant penetrating potential. It's only "bad" or "ineffective" in virtue of comparison to some other modern defensive calibers. Especially considering the part I didn't quote, anyone who isn't familiar with "meat target" testing should check the video I posted earlier. It offers as much in entertainment as it does intuitive guidance on how projectiles perform.
Old August 31, 2018, 04:47 AM   #71
Carmady

Quote:
Especially considering the part I didn't quote, anyone who isn't familiar with "meat target" testing should check the video I posted earlier.
In post #23 of this thread I included the double meat target video where Paul was shooting 9mm FMJ and .380 FMJ. It was that video which prompted me to try a box of Hornady Critical Defense (which he's tested in other videos with good results).
Old September 1, 2018, 02:24 AM   #72
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... I included the double meat target video where Paul was shooting 9mm FMJ and .380 FMJ. It was that video which prompted me to try a box of Hornady Critical Defense (which he's tested in other videos with good results).
His channel, Active Self Protection. and the Military Arms Channel are some of my favorite YouTube channels. Since it often comes up in discussions of .380, did you see the meat target testing of those Lehigh Defense bullets with the copper cross tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErofxN3F52s
Old September 1, 2018, 08:41 AM   #73
MandolinMan

Based on the testing that I've found, 380 acp does not overpenetrate as much as many people seem to think.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...-terminal.html
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old September 1, 2018, 02:23 PM   #74
kruuth

Wife tested several types of HP rounds in her 380 and settled on Hornady XTP. She gets good groupings and feels comfortable firing it. I'm not sure that it's all psychological but that's what she's gone with.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:14 PM   #75
Carmady

Quote:
did you see the meat target testing of those Lehigh Defense bullets with the copper cross tips?
I did, and I just watched it again.

In another video Paul was shooting Remington green&white box 88gr JHP from his Beretta 1934 and S&W Bodyguard. The 1934 has barrel length of about 3.5" (maybe closer to 3.4"), and the S&W is 2.75". Bullets fired from the Beretta had very good expansion in the soda jug and were stopped by the first layer of fleece. Those fired by the S&W had no expansion in the soda jug and were stopped around the 20th layer of fleece. I don't think there were any chrony test on those, but the higher velocities and expansion from the the 1934 had no over-penetration, while the slower non-expanding bullets had a lot of over-penetration. That part starts around 9:24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PQWzx0_MA