The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 3, 2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Wendyj

Glock 19 issues with reloads

I've been shooting a glock 26 for 3-4 years and had a few hundred rounds left I had ran through it. Some Titegroup hs6 and hp38. Never any issues in the 26 but stove piping and fte with my 19. Not limp wristing and gun may have 200 rounds through it. Gen 4. Can't figure out why. Shoots factory Remington and critical defense fine. Had just cleaned good and oiled slides. Kept only wet enough for a q tip to wipe off everywhere but where slides make contact. Loaded Berrys and xtps. Starting loads from Hodgdon and Hornady. Not as hot as factory loads from feel in my hand.
Old August 3, 2018, 08:11 PM   #2
745SW

I largely use the Speer manual and find I actually need to load to max or close to max for the ammo to cycle reliably in all my auto pistols when using a fast powder.

My pistols are largely service type so too light of a charge won't be reliable.
Old August 3, 2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Don P

For what it's worth I load 3.9 grains of titegroup under 115 grain SnS coated lead bullet
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 3, 2018, 08:53 PM   #4
74A95

Sounds like you need more gunpowder to produce enough recoil force to cycle the gun. Starting loads might not be enough.

Some guns have stiff recoil springs and need full power ammo to cycle reliably. Try that and see how it goes.
Old August 3, 2018, 09:57 PM   #5
Wendyj

I thought about casting some lead for mine. I’m not sure what sns coated is unless a powder coating. I’m under the impression Glock barrels need to be changed to lone wolf to shoot lead. I will try some hotter loads. Curious why they fed in the 26 and not the 19 though.
Old August 3, 2018, 11:51 PM   #6
745SW

Some years ago Glock changed the RSA (recoil spring assembly) of the G19 from a captured single flat spring to a dual captured round spring. Initially there were complaints of these new G19 models not cycling reliably with light ammo like WWB.

My G19 Gen3 uses the single flat spring RSA. No issues with WWB or my reloads using only jacketed bullets. I only use lead bullets for the 45auto because I find lead fowling to be problematic with the faster moving calibers whether it be a Glock or conventional rifling.
Old August 4, 2018, 05:28 AM   #7
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyj View Post
I thought about casting some lead for mine. I’m not sure what sns coated is unless a powder coating. I’m under the impression Glock barrels need to be changed to lone wolf to shoot lead. I will try some hotter loads. Curious why they fed in the 26 and not the 19 though.
SNS uses Hi-Tech polymer coating. http://www.snscasting.com/bullet-information/

Additional information: https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...r-handloaders/
Old August 4, 2018, 07:38 AM   #8
AK103K

When I got my first Glock back in the 80's, I quickly found that loads that ran fine in my other 9mm's (HK's, HP's, P38, etc), wouldnt clear the chamber in my new Glock. I had to bump things up quite a bit to get reliable functioning.

These days, I use a load just shy of max of 231 under a 124 grain FMJ for my practice rounds. I have a number of Glocks, Gen 2's to Gen 4's, 43's to 17's, and they all run fine with it.
Old August 4, 2018, 08:00 AM   #9
Wendyj

I just read about bulge busting dies and checked a whole bunch I had loaded and found a few that wouldn't plop in and out easily. Brass was .002 oversized from factory ammo. I'm loading with a 2 die set from Rcbs. About 80% done plump test in and out of barrel fine. Other 20% not so good. This may be my issue or someone else could collaborate. I'm assuming slide has enough force to push bullet into battery but bulge is causing my failure to eject and the stove piping I'm getting. I've separated all that didn't do a good fit and will try and shoot some of the ones that ft today. Load is 4.8 grains of Titegroup under a 115 xtp. Maybe a lone wolf barrel considered since I want to cast my own 125 grain bullets.
Old August 4, 2018, 08:43 AM   #10
AK103K

I was always under the impression that the "bulge" dies were meant to address the bulge that showed up with the .40 S&W cases due to the somewhat unsupported chambers the early Glocks in the caliber had.

Never saw any dies for the problem in 9mm.

All my pistol caliber dies are "three die sets" too. How are you "expanding" your cases?
Old August 4, 2018, 09:01 AM   #11
Wendyj

I've been using a Lee expander powder through expander and charging cases one at a time with electronic powder dispenser. Sizing die and seater are Rcbs but I'm loading it on a turret press so I needed the powder through expander. Only barely expanding just enough for bullet fit.
Old August 4, 2018, 09:57 AM   #12
AK103K

I used to use a similar set up when loading my 45acp's. Never really had an issue there.

One thing Ive noticed when using the Lee type expander vs say one from RCBS or Hornady is, the Lee simply expands the case mouth at the rim, where the others do so a bit deeper, making the bullet enter the case easier, with less force, disruption, or bulging of the case.

Ive noticed if there isnt enough expansion, the bullet tends to bulge, and in some cases, even buckle the case as its seated.

Maybe thats your issue.

I also use a taper crimp die, which applies the crimp to the whole case, not just the mouth/rim. It also seems to reduce any slight bulge you might see from expanding the case.
Old August 4, 2018, 10:37 AM   #13
TailGator

Quote:
Curious why they fed in the 26 and not the 19 though.
The slide is a little longer, and thus heavier on the 19. You might have just run into a threshold effect.

I have my doubts about bulged cases being the problem with 9 mm loaded on the light side. You should be able to tell by either measuring the diameters and/or by noting where they hang up when you plunk test them.

I would bet a hamburger and fries, but not the mortgage, that putting a bit more heat in your loads will solve the problem.

You could always bump this over to the reloading forum or PM UncleNick for a more expert opinion, too.
Old August 4, 2018, 11:18 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

You work up the load for the 19 or just hope the 26 load would do?
4.8 grains of Titegroup is the max load for a jacketed 115. So it's not the load. Even if you didn't work up to that.
HS-6 runs at a bit higher velocities with slightly lower pressures. The Start load of 6.7 runs a bit faster than the TiteGroup max load.
Stove piping and fte indicate an extractor/ejector issue though.
Taper crimp dies do not apply the crimp to the whole case.
Old August 4, 2018, 11:57 AM   #15
AK103K

Quote:
Stove piping and fte indicate an extractor/ejector issue though.
It can be a case issue as well, especially if the brass is well used. I load my brass to failure, and run into it all the time. Its great for realistic practice for "unexpected" failure drills. No need to set them up.

Quote:
Taper crimp dies do not apply the crimp to the whole case.
Perhaps I misspoke. It doesnt roll crimp the mouth into the bullet. It applies the crimp to the case and "squeezes" it to the bullet. Its also the crimp you should be using with auto rounds, or rounds that headspace on the case mouth.
Old August 4, 2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Wendyj

I don't think I have any extractor / ejector issues. It's eating factory ammo all day.
Old August 4, 2018, 02:28 PM   #17
Hoppy

I've recently run into a similar situation reloading 9mm. I have used Titegroup with cast lead and FMJ in the past with good results. I believe it was 3.9 grains like a previous poster. I have also used Green Dot with good effect.

I recently started working up a Unique load for 115 plated round nose. I thought I had a good round but turns out doesn't cycle my Glock 26. IT runs my Ruger lc9s just fine. I'm going to go up a couple .10 of a grain and retry.
Old August 4, 2018, 02:46 PM   #18
RSKENT

Quote:
Curious why they fed in the 26 and not the 19 though.
Because it’s still new. Break it in and it will be fine. You might try locking the slide back when you put it away. (seems to help) Also I load 4.5 grains of TG under 115 plated bullets for my Glocks.
Old August 6, 2018, 05:10 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

I've been hand loading for a little over 30 years, but for handguns only for my revolvers. I thought I knew what I was doing until I started shooting 9mm semi auto's and loading for them about 6 years ago. It drove me nuts trying to get my ammo to work reliably until I learned two things. First, I start out by seating a dummy round long and then plunking it in all of the barrels of my 9mm's until I find the length that will plunk easily and cycle by hand reliably. Then I start my load workup using this seating depth. Second, I resize with an undersize sizing die to make sure all of my brass wil fit reliably in all my chambers. Since doing these two things I have never had an issue with reliability in any of my guns. At least in my experience this is what has worked for me.