The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 01:35 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

870 SUPER Mag... steel shot damage?

My mistake... I should have stated in the cleaning thread it was a super mag. Junior did okay I reckon as this gun has no routine wear whatsoever AT ALL!!!
However upon inspection and cleaning of the choke tube I noted what appears to be slight grooving I would expect from steel shot in a tight choke. This choke is a modified constriction... Could just a shot or 2 cause this marking? The bore is pristine absolutely no marks. There is absolutely no wear on the action bars either Can't be more than 10 or so rounds I guess.
Brent
Old September 15, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
TxGun

Well, sounds like the worst that could happen is that you might want to replace the choke tube. Sounds like maybe the tube in the gun wasn't steel-shot rated??? If not, even a few rounds would mark it. Is it a Remington tube or after-market? Can you tell?

Last edited by TxGun; September 15, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old September 15, 2009, 07:36 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think I seen...
REM
MOD
It appears to be stainless or chromed...
Does that help ya' help me?
Brent
Old September 15, 2009, 08:11 PM   #4
rantingredneck

Brent,

I can't imagine a Remington tube being scored by steel shot. Granted I don't waterfowl hunt, so I don't use steel, but it seems highly unlikely.

Factory Remington tubes typically read "Remington" with the Choke constriction beneath. "Mod" "Imp Cyl" "Full" etc.

If you can get some pictures of it I'd sure like to see it.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 15, 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For pics I gotta get bri to charge me up some batteries...
I will post pics of the gun too... But it looks like a factory fresh gun
Brent
Old September 15, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pics added

Here ya' go RR...

Will post the gun pics on the new gun thread.... But be warned that it is a very basic like new boring gun with just a one scratch on the barrel...
Brent
Old September 15, 2009, 10:26 PM   #7
TxGun

With the choke tube out of the gun, try putting a brass brush in your drill and see if you can clean it up some. That's what I would try. Bottom line (to me): the tube is more than serviceable as is and ready for a lot more rounds through it. The shotgun itself (judging by your original thread) is in really great, almost LNIB, condition save for 1 scratch... and a little cold blue on a q-tip should cover that pretty well. Great gun and great deal.
Old September 15, 2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Positrack

I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a couple Remchokes that look similar, and I almost never shoot steel. The marks are visible but I don't think it hurts anything. IIRC, all Remchokes are steel rated except the full (unless it states "steel or lead" on the side). Just give it a thorough cleaning and call it good. BTW, nice gun your son has there. I've got an 870 WM Super Mag, and it's the most reliable gun I own. I've put many thousands of rounds through it (everything form elcheapo Wal-Mart target loads to 3" slugs and 3.5" 00 buckshot) and it has yet to have a malfunction of any kind. It just works, and the more you shoot it, the smoother it runs.

EDIT: I think the choke tubes are stainless.
Old September 15, 2009, 10:40 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I can feel groove in the tube with my pinkie... Not real deep but may slightly affect shot pattern a touch... I did feel the intersection of barrel to tube and I am not worried about a malfunction at all.
Maybe junior will buy him a set of Briley chokes costing more than the gun... Never know with these youngsters! I guarantee none of that tackycool farkle garbage interests him in the least!
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 07:48 AM   #10
rantingredneck

Brent, I think what you are feeling there is more likely plastic residue from the shot cup. I never shoot steel and a lot of my chokes look a lot like yours. Give it a good brushing and see what you have left.

Old September 16, 2009, 07:57 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Okay, will do! Didn't want to take a brush to it if it were chrome and those were grooves to avoid worsening it.
I used Hoppe's #9 on a barrel swab thinking that would be enough.
Dern silver color may have shown this worse? Never seen that on my fixed choke muzzle nor the tube in the Mav 88.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 08:10 AM   #12
rantingredneck

It could also be lead residue from shooting slugs. I get that too in mine.