The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 11, 2019, 11:35 PM   #1
reteach

Parts for Double Action 3rd Model

About six months ago I posted here about a Smith and Wesson 3rd Model, a .38 S&W, DA/SA top-break made in 1894-1895.

I finally took the gun to a gunsmith and he says it needs a new sear. [It's part #27 - the "rear" sear, on the schematic.] He and I both searched the 'net for the part, including Numrich and Jack's First, and couldn't find one.

Does anyone here know where to find that part?

Thanks.
Old September 12, 2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

About the only thing I can tell you is to check back with Numrich every few weeks. Their inventory varies over time. They buy old guns and disassemble them for parts. Perhaps as time goes by they will have what you need.

I am not familiar with Jack First, but looking on their website I'll bet they do the same. It looks like they make parts too.

Or you could do what Numrich does and buy another similar revolver for parts.
Old September 12, 2019, 07:26 PM   #3
reteach

Driftwood - You were a lot of help back when I first got the gun. Thanks again for then and now.

I had thought about buying a parts gun, but I wouldn't know whether I was getting good parts or another one with the same problem. I'll keep checking with the two sites, and the 'smith said he would would keep checking them and others.