The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2019, 05:08 PM   #1
caligula

Oregon trail bullets

Looks like Oregon Trail Bullet Co. is out of business! Their phone is disconnected and no 'contact' response. Anyone know anything?
Old September 10, 2019, 05:48 PM   #2
jag2

Someone posted that a couple of weeks ago somewhere but their website is still up and I think someone else said they had recently placed an order but you’re right their phone is down. After losing Rainier in May I hate see another one go down. Maybe it’s just a phone problem.
Old September 10, 2019, 06:15 PM   #3
caligula

Oregon trail bullets

Big "yeah" to that! I got used to buying in 100 rd lots with free shipping. Also felt a little more room between me and the tightening gun law restrictions. I suspect that when we only have a few sources for reloading, shooting will become just another highend hobby for the privileged few.
Old September 10, 2019, 07:40 PM   #4
HiBC

I was told they are primarily a silver company.The lead with traces of silver in it is,or was,a byproduct of the primary industry.

I like their bullets.And so far,I have been able to choose between paying the price for them and casting my own.

It may not be what you prefer to do,but the ultimate characteristic of cast bullets is you can get a pot and a mold and some lead and make bullets while listening to Hank Junior
Old September 11, 2019, 12:14 PM   #5
totaldla

Back when I first started shooting cast, I would stop in Baker, Oregon and pick up my bullets at Oregon Trail. Saved me a little money. I could also get unsized/unlubed fodder for my 45-70. I drive by Baker a couple times a year.

But I don't shoot near as much now and I like the product from Missouri Bullet Company better.

The reality is that social media couch potatoes (like me) don't shoot enough to warrant cast bullet savings.
Old September 11, 2019, 02:51 PM   #6
caligula

Oregon trail bullet co.

A big thanks to all responders. Neat insight to OT company roots. Looked up the Missouri Bullet Co. and it is, indeed, a smarter option; thank you! I am again in the embrace of the American dream.
Old September 13, 2019, 05:26 PM   #7
wild willy

On Marlinowners someone posted Oregon Trail has new Phone #406 883 0741 didn't try it so don't know.But members are saying that they are getting bullet orders from them.
Old September 15, 2019, 06:12 PM   #8
caligula

Oregon trail bullets

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old September 17, 2019, 04:41 PM   #9
caligula

Oregon trail bullets

Mystery solved! OT was absorbed by another bullet company and is in transition. The new outfit is not "business-as-usual". ie: Free shipping is only given for orders over a hundred dollars and a reluctance to handle 100 rd orders. The fellow I talked to was helpful but confused about the changes. A big thanks for the new phone number!
Old September 18, 2019, 02:01 PM   #10
rclark

Who orders 100 rounds ???? When I buy, I usually buy at least 3 boxes (box of 500-800) of the caliber in need from Rimrock (that's who bought Oregon Trail). That usually is well over $100 in the larger calibers. I only used Oregon Trail once, but their bullets were way to hard for the pressures I use (14-25k psi).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 18, 2019, 04:41 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

The only guns I've had fail to shoot hard bullets were revolvers with a too-tight frame thread bore constrictions. I have noticed both my revolvers and lever guns tend to like hard bullets about 0.0015" to 0.0020" over groove diameter rather than the traditional 0.001" over groove diameter. In other words, if it is too hard to be bumped up under normal shooting pressure, it will be more sensitive to constrictions and failure to fully obturate the bore by dint of diameter.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 18, 2019, 07:52 PM   #12
rclark

If all the dimensions of a revolver are correct, you can shoot most any hardness (except to soft to fast where you get skidding in the barrel).... On a couple of mine, I had to open the cylinder throats and firelap the barrel (constrictions) to make them shoot well with no real leading. Most of my 45s just needed throat reaming. Others were fine out of the box. I just feel that is better to be closer to the 'ideal' BHN for given pressure. There really is no 'advantage' to shooting extra hard bullets that I can think of anyway.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.