The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 5, 2019, 07:19 PM   #1
BigBL87

Help me decide!

I'm picking up a bolt action .223 as a companion to my AR. My AR currently wears a 4-16x Primary Arms scope that will be moved to whichever bolt gun I buy and be replaced by a 1-6x scope. I mostly shoot "off the bench" (actually a picnic table ) out at my in-laws property but will eventually use it for coyote, possibly hogs but I have a .308 that I'd probably use for that. Most hunting I might do would be stationary so weight isn't a huge issue. After a bunch of research and looking around, I've gotten myself narrowed down to these two (though I'd consider other options around $400 if someone found something I haven't considered). I want to stay right about or below $400, I have more available but want to use the remainder for a bore guide, cheek riser if necessary, etc...

Weatherby Vanguard Heavy Barrel

Ruger American Predator

Mag-wise, it's kind of a wash because I wouldn't need to buy mags for the Weatherby and I already own plenty of AR mags that I could use with the RA Predator. Barrel length doesn't make a huge difference to me, just want something 20" or longer so both work for that. I'm assuming the Vanguard is a 2 series based on the MOA gurantee and 2 stage trigger though it doesn't state it is. Twist rate is a wash too, I probably won't use anything over 69 gr so both should be able to handle what I'd use.
Old September 6, 2019, 12:23 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Have a look at the Savages too. Cabela's has their 12V, heavy barrel, varmint rifle on sale for $419.99.
Old September 6, 2019, 07:14 PM   #3
jmr40

At 8 1/2 lbs before adding scope and mounts the Weatherby is too heavy for my taste. I have the Ruger Ranch with 16" barrel that uses AR mags that is more accurate than I am. It works for me, but if you want a little longer barrel the Predator is good too.

Winston Churchill
Old September 6, 2019, 10:09 PM   #4
BigBL87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
At 8 1/2 lbs before adding scope and mounts the Weatherby is too heavy for my taste. I have the Ruger Ranch with 16" barrel that uses AR mags that is more accurate than I am. It works for me, but if you want a little longer barrel the Predator is good too.
Weight isn't a big deal for me at least in this case. Any hunting I do with it would be stationary and not that far of a walk and it will mostly be shot off of a bench. If I get the Ruger, I do plan on getting an adjustable kydex cheek riser for it and sanding the barrel channel if needed. If I get the Weatherby, I'll shoot it as is for now and I'm considering saving up for a Boyd's At-One stock down the line. I'd probably restock the Ruger if one were available for the .223 Predator with AR mags, but alas the only real option I can find is a chassis that costs as much as the rifle itself.
Old September 7, 2019, 01:29 AM   #5
bamaranger

bolt .223

I've found a a tidy bolt .223 rifle to be a handy item and such a rifle has replaced my pistol caliber lever carbine as a GP/truck/ woods walking rifle.

For me, I want a wlking .223 bolt to be light and easy to carry, with not too much scope to clutter or weigh the rifle down further. Although I was not to enthused about the Ruger American family when it first hit the market, my stance has changed and I am a fan. I've not talked or heard from anybody who's had one that does not claim the affordable rifles are real shooters.

I know nothing about the Vanguard's, but the Ruger American Ranch or the Predator would be high on my list. As you're planning to put a pretty large scope on the rifle, I'd be leaning towards the Predator, so as the rig does not look out of proportion. Another affordable bolt is the Savage Hog Rifle, about in the same price range.
Old September 7, 2019, 03:05 AM   #6
std7mag

As was mentioned previously, you should seriously consider Savage also.
I think you can pick up a Savage 11VT (Dicks) or 11FT(Cabelas) for about $400. Less when on sale.

I bought my wife a used Savage 110FP (F= synthetic stock, P=Police) in 223 Rem.
Comes with adjustable trigger, and 24" heavy barrel.
Why a long action for a police 223, i'll never know...
Shoots 69gr MatchKings under 1 inch for 20 rounds with boring regularity.
Getting her to shoot a 600 yard match this month.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 7, 2019, 04:27 AM   #7
NHSHOOTER

I will have to chime in here, since weight is not a issue and sometime can help with accuracy I would have to side on the weatherby vanguard of which I own 3, a 22-250 (older model) and 2 S2's a 243 and a 7-08, all 3 will shoot ragged hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds, the triggers are great and adjust down to nice hunting weight triggers also. The 243 has a synthetic stock which I would like to change to a boyds but it shoots so well I just dont have the heart to mess with it.
Old September 8, 2019, 09:55 PM   #8
std7mag

I got a first gen Vangard in 243 for my daughter.
Was the only gun i was glad to get rid of!!!

Old September 8, 2019, 11:14 PM   #9
Dufus

I'll vote Vanguard. The first gen Vanguard is yards away from the newer versions.

The only thing I have bad to say is I will never own another Savage.
Old September 9, 2019, 04:57 AM   #10
Bfglowkey

Another vote to look at the Savage 12FV from Cabela’s. Only down side is the internal mag system which can be dealt with aftermarket later down the line. It shoots several types of factory fodder less then 1” to include Fiocchi 55g FMJ and Hornady 62g FMJ black. These are considered plinking Ammo and it performs in my daughters FV like match grade. I haven’t even begun to reload for it yet.
Old September 9, 2019, 08:12 PM   #11
BigBL87

So, I stopped by Bass Pro today and checked out the 12FV they had on the rack. It was a 6.5 Creedmore but it was close enough to get a feel obviously. Bolt felt like it would be nice once I cleaned and lubed it, but I did decide that 26 inches is a bit more barrel than I want. I think I want to stay in the 20-22 range, that's where both of my current bolt actions are as far as barrel length.
Old September 9, 2019, 08:58 PM   #12
BigBL87

Ended up ordering the Vanguard tonight! Now just have to put up with the wait.
Old September 9, 2019, 09:34 PM   #13
reynolds357

They both shoot well, but the vanguard is a heifer to rebarrel.
Old September 9, 2019, 11:34 PM   #14
BigBL87

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
They both shoot well, but the vanguard is a heifer to rebarrel.
I don't see myself shooting it enough to shoot out the barrel, so that's not a big deal to me. Had read about that though.
Old September 11, 2019, 02:16 AM   #15
std7mag

And here i used to like you, Dufus...