The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2019, 04:03 PM   #1
rebs

SMK's or Berger's ?

In 223 cal which is the bullet of choice SMK or Berger ? Which is most consistent in weight and dimensions ?
I am currently reloading 77 and 69 smk and am wondering if Berger is a better bullet choice ?
Old August 28, 2019, 05:54 PM   #2
hounddawg

they are both great in my opinion
Old August 29, 2019, 03:00 AM   #3
std7mag

Right now in my wife's Savage 110 FP (24" bull barrel) i'm loading 69gr SMK, and 69gr STMK.
I just got some Hornady 68gr Competition bullets to try out.

I've shot the Hornady Match, SMK, Berger VLD in other calibers.
Slightly better BC with the Berger.
All grouped well.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 29, 2019, 06:46 AM   #4
rebs

Thanks for the replies, I am going to give the Bergers a try
Old August 31, 2019, 01:38 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...most consistent..." Match grade bullets are virtually always consistent. S'why they're match grade bullets.
"...a better bullet choice? ..." For what purpose?
The only choice that matters is the one your rifle makes. Your rifle may like a Berger, not all of which are match bullets. Or it may prefer the match grade SMK.
Otherwise the whole thing is about your budget. A Berger 70 grain VLD HPBT starts at about $34 per 100, at Midway. A 69 grain SMK runs $25.99 per 100. And $10 is $10.
Old August 31, 2019, 03:16 PM   #6
rebs

I asked this question because the last batch of 77 gr SMK's I bought didn't seem to be very consistent. I was seating the 1.900 to the ogive and getting a variance between 1.895 and 1.907. Is this a normal spread or perhaps I got a poor batch ?
Old August 31, 2019, 03:29 PM   #7
HiBC

I'd say believe your rifle and targets. I will suggest two other options to consider.
The Nosler Custom Competition 77 gr,and the Hornady Match bthp 75 gr.

The Hornady's advertise a slightly better BC than the MK's and Noslers.

For that range of bullets in 5.56 I chose RE-15.

The point /tip on a MK is created in the jacket swaging process.I would not get too excited about a little variation. Sierra MK's have won a lot of competitions.

Shoot them and see what you get. Overthinking can be an obstacle.

If it really concerns you,Sinclair,at the Brownell's/Sinclair website ,I believe,makes a tool they will be happy to sell you. You can make them all "uniform"

I believe its called a "Meplat Uniformer" I don't have one.

It matters what you are trying to achieve. You mentioned 300 yds in another post.

I don't have the expertise to tell you absolutely. I have found its easier for me to get the 69 gr bullets to shoot very accurately. I like Varget and a 1 in 9 for them. At 300 yds,the 69's work pretty good.The initial velocity advantage evens things up.

If you are trying to win championships,0.1 MOA or less is a bg deal,maybe.

For just good,accurate performance,maybe PD's, factors like "cost per bullet" and "availability" enter in. I've found the 75 gr Hornady's in a 600 ct pkg can be pretty reasonably priced,especially on sale.

"Better" is hard to quantify

Last edited by HiBC; August 31, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old August 31, 2019, 06:14 PM   #8
rebs

I use these bullets in F Class matches at our local club so I am looking for the most accurate. When seating bullets by the ogive how much variation is acceptable ?
Old August 31, 2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Rimfire5

Rebs,

Bullet performance:
I have had great results with 69 SMKs and 69 TMKs with my two 1:9 twist .223s.
I have tried Berger 70 grain VLD Target bullets and haven't have the same good results, but I haven't found a good seating depth for them.
I load my Sierra SMKs out at 2.290 amd the TMKs out at 2.330 and have gotten great results.
I have loaded the Berger #22418 bullets out from 2.267 to 2.320 and had the best results with in the 2.315 to 2.320 range but no where near as good as the Sierras. I may not have found its jump preference yet.

Seating based on the ogive:
I measure all my reloads based on ogive measurements and I don't feel I have done a good job if a load of 25 rounds are all measuring +/- 0.002 at the ogive.
I regularly get +/- 0.001 variation for 25 loads, when I pay attention to the pressure I put on the reloading press rod.

Unexpected Recommendation:
I have recently begun shooting 77 grain Sierra SMKs and TMKs in my 1:9 twist .223s. The accuracy has been equal or better than the 69s. I know that 77s aren't supposed to stabilize in a 1:9 twist barrel but they do. I'm getting sub 0.3 inch 5-round groups at 100 yards with both the SMKs and TMKs but the TMKs are performing a bit better. I've been seating the SMKs from 2.290 to 2.310 and the TMKs from 2.340 to 2.350.
Old August 31, 2019, 06:52 PM   #10
ripnbst

I think a big part of this equation is what are you trying to do with them? Target shoot? Hunt?
Old August 31, 2019, 07:07 PM   #11
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I use these bullets in F Class matches at our local club so I am looking for the most accurate. When seating bullets by the ogive how much variation is acceptable ?
The ogive diameter that matters is .002" smaller than bullet or bore diameter. That's where the throat first touches the bullet.

If the bullet seater touches the bullet at any smaller diameter, the normal ogive shape tolerances may well end up with a .001" or more spread in bullet jump to the rifling.

Some folks soft seat bullets a couple hundredths long so those ogive tolerances don't matter. Bullets seat a smidgen deeper and center very repeatable that way with zero jump. Cut the charge a tenth grain if you're concerned about pressure.
Old September 1, 2019, 12:05 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

SMKs worked well for me when I was playing with heavy bullets in .223 Rem. I still have a few thousand 69 gr and a few hundred 77 gr SMKs that I'll eventually load.
But now that Sierra's owners have been slowly jacking up prices for a few years, to maximize profit, I probably won't be buying more.

They're good bullets, but not worth paying a premium when there's good competition from comparable (or better) bullets.
Other companies' product pricing has followed the commodities market increases. Sierra's has exceeded that, to the point of some products being double the price they were when Clarus bought the company two years ago.
Old September 1, 2019, 03:17 PM   #13
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I asked this question because the last batch of 77 gr SMK's I bought didn't seem to be very consistent. I was seating the 1.900 to the ogive and getting a variance between 1.895 and 1.907. Is this a normal spread or perhaps I got a poor batch ?
That's common if you're measuring case head to bullet tip.

Does your seater touch bullets at about .222" diameter on their ogive?

Last edited by Bart B.; September 1, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old September 1, 2019, 03:21 PM   #14
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
But now that Sierra's owners have been slowly jacking up prices for a few years, to maximize profit, I probably won't be buying more..
Maybe they're covering pay raises for employees. That's normal.

Or cost of materials has gone up. That's also normal when the supplier's employees get pay raises.

Have you ever got a pay raise and kept your job?

Last edited by Bart B.; September 1, 2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old September 1, 2019, 07:59 PM   #15
rebs

I am measuring case head to ogive
Old September 1, 2019, 09:57 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Or cost of materials has gone up. That's also normal when the supplier's employees get pay raises.

Have you ever got a pay raise and kept your job?
Cost of materials was addressed in my initial statement.

To account for the price increase of their products via employee raises, standard economics would require a 500-600% increase in employee pay rate.
I have never gotten a 500% raise at any job, and do not believe that Sierra has done such for their employees.
Old September 12, 2019, 04:13 PM   #17
Longshot4

Make sure you have the correct twist for the weight. Then start testing booth of them. What's wrong with Hornady and Speer... bullets? There are a lot of choices. Why not go and buy your ammo all ready made.

Why do you hand load?