The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2019, 09:54 AM   #1
shurshot

Uberti Stallion SAA .22

Anyone own one? Do you like it? How does it compare to a old Colt Frontier. 22? I just ordered one, wondering if anyone else has one...
Looked at two used Colt Frontier. 22's this weekend, but they were both very loose, one was pitted, so I passed and I ordered a couple new Uberti's instead, one being the .22 Stallion, the other being an 1873 .45 Cattleman 4.75 El Patron.

Last edited by shurshot; August 26, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old August 26, 2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Bob Wright

I do indeed own one. I believe it is a mighty fine little revolver:

I would prefer it over such guns as the Heritage, Ruger Wrangler, and Colt Scout .22. I've never had any experience with the Colt Frontier .22, but I believe they had ZAMAC frames, so I'll stick with the steel and brass of the Uberti. I do prefer it over the New Model Ruger Single Six, close toss-up between it and an old Model Single Six.

As you see from my target, its good enough in accuracy, maybe not -hair splitting, but will bag squirrels when you do your part. And its no slouch in the looks department.

Just for grins, here is my .22 battery:

The Bearcat my least favorite.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; August 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 26, 2019, 11:25 AM   #3
shurshot

Thanks for the feedback Bob! I can't wait to get it and drill some tin cans. Looks even better in your pictures than on the website.
I had a FIE .22 Texas Ranger in the early 80's, used it on a porcupine that was chewing up our lumber. I wore that action out fanning it during fast draw practice. My son has a Ruger Single Six, but I need a good .22 revolver / plinker for myself.
Old August 27, 2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Bob Wright

I'll be looking forward to hearing/reading of your experiences.

Bob Wright
Old September 7, 2019, 12:59 PM   #5
shurshot

Arrived today... WOW! Amazing case hardening color, excellent fit and finish. Locks up tighter than Hillary's home email server too! Can't wait to shoot it. Has a much better "feel" (heft and balance), to it than the old Colt Scout and FIE Texas Ranger I owned in my youth. Yup, better than the Colt... I wrote that. I know, hate me, but it's TRUE. At least from my perspective it's true.
And to boot, it fits PERFECTLY in a vintage 70's Ruger full flap leather holster I picked out of a used holster bin 25 years ago for $20. All these years I had nothing that fit it (I bought it as it looked cool and the price was right), but it was so nice I kept it. Glad I did. Now I have something to carry my fine Uberti .22 in.
The Uberti El Patron. 45 is also pretty damn sweet. Beautiful color, bank vault action (factory tuned and Wolfe springs installed), crisp checkering on the wood grips. Wearing that now in my Bianchi Lawman rig. . This slick Hogleg just might become my new favorite off duty weapon. Forgot how much I missed a good single action!

Last edited by shurshot; September 7, 2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old September 7, 2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Bob Wright

I take it you like it?

Bob Wright
Old September 7, 2019, 05:17 PM   #7
rclark

Quote:
Forgot how much I missed a good single action!
That just boggles the mind . Enjoy! Hope it shoots well for you.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 28, 2019, 07:43 AM   #8
Catman42

if you have access to forcing cone cutters, redue the forcing cone a tad. i have all of them from brownells. then your stallion will shoot even tighter. factory forcing cones are never as good a the one you can do your self with the right tools. they dont cost a arm and a leg either. i sound like a broken record on this point but it is a very good point.
Old September 28, 2019, 12:34 PM   #9
deserted

I carried a Colt NF Buntline .22 as my primary go to gun for forty years. Killed and eaten more game with that one gun than all my others put together. Passed it on to a son a few years ago. He uses it to teach new shooters as it shoots so well. I am looking to replace it with a Uberti Target when I find the right one. Last summer I got a new Uberti Stallion Target in .38 Special. I have three Single Sevens in .327FM, what with this weakness I have for centerfire single actions on a .22 frame. The Uberti .38, I gotta say, makes the Colt look like an imitation, and makes Rugers feel crude. It is just gorgeous, smooth action, absolutely NO drag mark on the cylinder. I've never had a revolver of any kind that was so finely tuned, much less one out of the box. So, yep. Regardless of the fact that the last thing in the world I need is another single action .22, I just have to decide, ten shot, or six with the magnum cylinder?