The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 4, 2019, 10:37 AM   #76
Unclenick
Staff

I understand the Finns let their people buy suppressors over the counter like any other gun accessory with no special permit required and they report they are seldom used in crimes, probably for the reasons Briandg mentioned. In the few instances in which criminal do use them, they apparently don't make a difference as to how easily the crime is solved.

As to home defense, it makes sense to me you will not likely have time to don hearing protection when a home invasion commences. From that standpoint, the can may be an advantage. For one, obviously, your ears are less likely to ring and stuff up and prevent you from hearing where your remaining opponents are moving around. For another, more inertia at the muzzle of a gun tends to dampen flinching and tremor (the second reason Olympic free pistols have removable balance weights) and and the extension in line with the "barrel" is likely to make an adrenaline-driven "instinct" shots place less wildly. It also gives you a place to put your weak hand, at least until it warms up. That seems like it might also be a flinch control-plus for the critical first shot. The main downside will be speed of pointability will be at least slightly reduced by even a very light can.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 4, 2019, 03:57 PM   #77
dajowi

"Do not, under any circumstances..." say anything but "hello" and "I wish to talk to an attorney" when police ask you to make any statement.
Old August 4, 2019, 05:37 PM   #78
briandg

Quote:
I understand the Finns let their people buy suppressors over the counter like any other gun accessory with no special permit required
I'm not even going to pretend that I can make an authoritative statement, but if I understand it correctly, a rimfire rifle is possibly unregulated in england. I don't recall exactly. These rimfires can have a suppressor and it's not regulated either. So, IIRC, a guy who can pass the background check that is required can walk into the place of purchase and carry home a suppressed squirrel gun and they are not afraid to use them on things as big as english hares and foxes, taking shots at head and neck.

If you check some of the videos, you will find that a rimfire the suppressor is borderline unnoticeable. They can be less disruptive than an air rifle. The things fire about three grains of powder and a minuscule bullet down a long coal chute of a barrel, and then that little bitty fart of a powder charge literally expands in the chamber ten or more times and the velocity of the plume is brought down to almost the speed of spray paint. I was astounded to hear a few examples of the 17 HMR being fired. There is a crack. Not much, and that takes up almost all of the sound. I know that some of the ammo I have used in rimfire would literally shrink to a pop. CCI CB shorts in my rifle seriously make only a pop without a can.

Some of these guys can sit in a field and pop rabbits all dog gone night with their night vision equipment and never spook the entire warren. Then they will juice the brains of a fox or two so the foxes won't be in competition for the rabbits. I believe that the english, since they can't just walk into a store and pick up a centerfire rifle have really gotten a lock on how to blow the snot out of a varmint's nose at ultra long range with nothing but a rimfire.

https://youtu.be/W1JH-b6PQxo

This short video shows a guy with a non-suppressed rifle. I don't care for the fact that he's taking body shots. His one forward shot left bits flying. the others left them twitching. If you look at 1.12, you will see a pair of partridge or some other bird literally walk away from a shot hit about a yard or so away.

A suppressor functions based on a few things, but two part of it is whether the metal is heavy enough to dampen the vibrations and how large that blast of hot gas is. It can't affect the supersonic sound, but you can cut the sound of a subsonic round significantly with large and stout steel and a small charge. A large handgun would probably take a few hundred feet of carpet and a plastic fifty pound barrel to dampen that shock.

The guy who owns my range put up a corrugated roof at about three feet over head level. If he had laid any sort of insulation such as even a sheet of used carpet under that steel, the vibrations would have been minimized. The sound would not have been reflected right back onto the top of your head.
Old August 30, 2019, 04:25 PM   #79
jackstrawIII

If I lived in a free state, I would ABSOLUTELY run a suppressor on all my hunting and defense guns. In fact, if I ever move out of NY, that will be one of the first items on my to do list. It’s a no brainer. I can think of zero reasons no to.
Old August 31, 2019, 08:19 AM   #80
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
If I lived in a free state, I would ABSOLUTELY run a suppressor on all my hunting and defense guns. In fact, if I ever move out of NY, that will be one of the first items on my to do list. It’s a no brainer. I can think of zero reasons no to.
Except doesn't it mean a new holster(s)??

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 31, 2019, 11:19 AM   #81
MTT TL

Quote:
Depends. You might be able to put a hole in an existing holster.
Old August 31, 2019, 11:53 AM   #82
Sharkbite

Quote:
I have not found a good way to carry a handgun with the suppressor attached. For a HD gun, thats not an issue.

There are quick access safes that can accommodate a pistol with a can attached.
Old August 31, 2019, 12:05 PM   #83
manta49

Quote:
I'm not even going to pretend that I can make an authoritative statement, but if I understand it correctly, a rimfire rifle is possibly unregulated in england. I don't recall exactly. These rimfires can have a suppressor and it's not regulated either.
You need a firearms certificate for rimfire and full bore rifles in the UK, when you are applying you would add a suppressor to the application.
Old September 1, 2019, 01:18 PM   #84
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
I am strongly of the opinion that adding a big tube on the end of any defense makes it useless for anything but a nightstand or range gun. As a CCW it becomes a hopeless burden. Within the parameters of a gun that can be used within a few feet of where you first pick it up, whatever works works. A suppressed handgun is going to have the same limitations as a long gun has, but just not as severe.
While overall I would agree with you, but there are options. This is 1" longer than a 1911.

https://silencerco.com/media/content...axim-img_1.png
Old September 10, 2019, 02:37 PM   #85
Road_Clam

I shoot both handgun and rifle supressed. As for HD, i don't see a net gain. Supressed weapons are long, cumbersome and muzzle heavy which equals potential inaccuracy. My HD preference are both my Mossberg 930SPX , and my FNX45T with a Streamlight TLR1. I have a small ranch and minimal wall penatration is my main concern in my home layout. Im not concerned about hearing issues .
Old September 10, 2019, 03:30 PM   #86
spacemanspiff

I think it would be easier to just always wear earplugs when at home.

Don't have to hear the knocks on the door from the Mormons, or magazine sales, mailman, trick or treaters...Plus you then have legitimate reason for 'not hearing' what your wife asked you to do.
Old September 11, 2019, 09:13 AM   #87
FAS1

Here's some real world numbers from my perspective. I'm showing this because I don't think most people realize how many people are keeping a suppressed gun for home defense, and this only applies to handguns. It's still a drop in the bucket for overall guns kept for home defense, but it's growing every year.

I ran the numbers the other day on the 5 current sizes (10 models) of handgun safes that I manufacture. I ran the numbers for the last two years since I have had all five sizes since that time. I have made the SBD size safe for 5 years now and sell more every year.

All are made for a home defense application in mind, but some are other places like vehicle consoles, etc., especially the smaller ones. I can also tell you that I am the only one that makes a safe for a handgun with a silencer attached and keep it for quick access. It even surprised me that the SBD model is the #2 model I currently make and sell. It's right behind what is always the best seller and my original model.

Old September 12, 2019, 10:12 AM   #88
Hal

FAS1 - good stuff!

I really hope that trend continues for some time to come.