The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2019, 11:38 AM   #1
PJHeck

Mexican .22

As I recall, Mexico was never a hot bed of gun manufacturing. They had a MG or a rifle called a Mondragon (???) & something that fascinated Donna called a Mendoza........not sure either was made there. Donna is still shopping for a Mendoza, which as I recall is a sub machine gun.

Anyway, I have a .22 with the name Trejo, on one side, "Hecho-en-Mexico" on the other, indicating it may have been made for export. Kinda a neat gun.
Interestingly enuff, Pedro B. has (had???) a twin version in .22 that is a machine gun. At one time he was looking for magazines for it.

Apparently I dont have a picture of mine on my computer.

PJH
Old September 21, 2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Armybrat

Fotos, por favor.
Old September 21, 2019, 03:06 PM   #3
PJHeck

What kind of gun is a por favor.???? OK.........got it.

What did we do when there was only verbal descriptions of for sales.??? Remember Shotgun News.??? I bought a bunch of guns & stuff in those days........sold some too. No wonder pictures are in demand, "mint" is not a gun description.......strictly for coins as far as I am concerned.

I have never shot this, if Pedro B has no magazines......yet........he hasnt shot his either. Notice the cute little vent rib...????? Shades of Browning Pigeon Grade Trap.!!!!!!

PJH

Last edited by PJHeck; September 21, 2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old September 21, 2019, 05:24 PM   #4
viciouskitty

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-AQsHY1_c

There’s a forgotten weapons vid about them.
Old September 21, 2019, 06:33 PM   #5
briandg

Quote:
As I recall, Mexico was never a hot bed of gun manufacturing.
Regarding that, there is no surprise. Europe, britain and the US started out the quality arms trade. Japan wasn't making and selling guns for trade back when these advanced manufacturing companies were sending 1894s and mausers all over the world, including mexico. Between mexico, china, and japan, for example, there weren't any strong industrial bases. Even today Mexico isn't a tech or manufacturing giant, where the asian countries make everything that we buy and do it with quality workmanship.

Things haven't really changed too much as far as exports. As long as there have been import/export systems, there have been regional specialties that supplied most needs.

Right now, the top import item to the us from mexico is cars at 90 billion according to the us trade representative. They make mechanical parts, machines, and tools. Our agriculture and food imports are about 26 billion. They were far behind on the skilled labor development and technology development, and lost the chance. Now it seems that they are taking up a lot of the Rust belt industries. Appliances, machinery, power tools, etc. Brazil, however, did create a south american gun industry creating copies of various guns throughout history.

We get everything from china, tech from korea and japan, clothing from southeast asia and india, shoes from china, I even bought a japanese power tool 'made by' ryobi in china.

I can't go into any talk about asian markets as the 150 years that they have been part of our system have been really, really turbulent. Japan did, however, do a lot of machinery and tool exporting over hear for decades after the war, and now make great machinery. Cars started when, in the sixties? The japanese could create a magnificent arms industry if they chose to.

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico

Quote:
The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2018 were: vehicles ($93 billion), electrical machinery ($64 billion), machinery ($63 billion), mineral fuels ($16 billion), and optical and medical instruments ($15 billion).

U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Mexico totaled $26 billion in 2018, our largest supplier of agricultural imports. Leading categories include: fresh vegetables ($5.9 billion), other fresh fruit ($5.8 billion), wine and beer ($3.6 billion), snack foods ($2.2 billion), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1.7 billion).
Old September 21, 2019, 06:37 PM   #6
briandg

I found it to be literally shocking when I read a study about a japanese matchlock. We were already on the cusp of the industrial revolution, and the matchlock that was being discussed had hand filed threads. They didn't even have threading equipment. We are terribly impressed with the samurai swords, but they don't represent a true picture.
Old September 23, 2019, 02:07 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

The Japanese used the matchlock until the end of the 19th Century. They literally had no machines and used no machines to make anything. The Japanese went from that technology to bolt action repeaters literally over night.
Katana's were hand made by artisans with enormous skill. You an even think in terms of them being heavily protected union shops.
The Mondragon was a very early semi-auto and a straight pull bolt action. Most of Mexico's military arms were purchased due to the near constant political "unrest" of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
1024 pixels is too big.
Old September 24, 2019, 08:21 PM   #8
doofus47

Dude, that is sweet.
Old September 27, 2019, 11:05 AM   #9
ifithitu

Old and sweet!
Old September 30, 2019, 08:25 PM   #10
HisSoldier

I bought a new Trejo .22 pistol a couple of years ago. Works fine but is not better than an old Llama .22 I have, in fact they hide a couple semi-loose springs under the grip panels, without the grips on they wouldn't last long. Other than that it's OK and different, which makes it more interesting than many pistols.

Nothing new in the design though.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.