The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 29, 2019, 07:12 AM   #1
USNRet93

Glock 43x and -48..now in all black

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g43x-us

Altho I never minded the silver slide model.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old July 29, 2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Tallest

Neither did I, I have a G48 that I'm quite pleased with.

They just came out with the black, but there seem to already be rumors that there will be another release in black adding a rail for lights/lasers. I say just hold out for the "G48 MOS" they're sure to release to compete with the Sig 365XL.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old July 29, 2019, 09:14 AM   #3
IdaD

I like all black better. I'm not a Glock guy at all but the 48 is pretty intriguing to me.
Old July 29, 2019, 06:31 PM   #4
jonnyc

We got the all-black 48s in the shop, but no 43X yet. I'm happy with the look and performance of my silver 43X, no plan to change.
Old July 29, 2019, 06:48 PM   #5
sarge912

I will probably try for a 43x in all black when my store gets one in. The silver slide on my 48 gets dirty quickly.
Old July 29, 2019, 08:48 PM   #6
Siggy-06

I kind of the two-tone look of the initial release better.
Old July 31, 2019, 06:04 AM   #7
OhioGuy

Surprised Glock didn't give these special names and release them as entirely new models
Old July 31, 2019, 08:01 PM   #8
rickmelear

Bought a original 43X in two tone. Wouldn’t change a thing. In fact, I’d buy the two tone over the all black again. Different taste for all.
Old August 1, 2019, 05:01 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

The silver slide was never a deal-breaker, but if I were to buy a G48, I'd prefer to get the black slide.
Old August 1, 2019, 02:36 PM   #10
ifithitu

I picked up a G 48 9mm 6/24/19, now i'm thinking about picking up a G 43 or G 43x in all black.
Old August 7, 2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Goosby

I already owned a black Glock 43.
Old August 8, 2019, 12:39 PM   #12
JDBerg

I’ll take whatever color I can get a deal on.
Old August 19, 2019, 07:59 PM   #13
Goosby

Black is nice, I love the color.
Old August 20, 2019, 05:50 AM   #14
OhioGuy

Anyone think these rumored 15 round aftermarket magazines will become reality? They're listed on that company's site as available this summer, and summer is dwindling pretty rapidly.
Old August 20, 2019, 07:51 AM   #15
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Anyone think these rumored 15 round aftermarket magazines will become reality? They're listed on that company's site as available this summer, and summer is dwindling pretty rapidly.
Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

To my knowledge, no one has ever been successful long term with metal mags in Glocks. Stamped or cut sheet metal just doesn't do well with polymer catches. And over time, I don't think polymer bushings in said metal mags would be reliable.

For 15 rounds, get a G19 and think skinny!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old August 20, 2019, 10:58 AM   #16
cslinger

No dog in this fight so to speak but I believe they are going to release a replacement metal mag button/catch etc. with the metal magazine.
Old August 20, 2019, 11:42 AM   #17
Tallest

Maybe one of these days someone will just make an absurdly expensive steel frame for a Glock.

Then we can have a civil war between those who think it's sacrilege, and those who think it's finally the end all be all of hand guns.

Old August 20, 2019, 12:03 PM   #18
jr24

Looks like Glock capitalized on the Glock 19x marketing strategy. Release a model folks want in a color only some like but others will buy because they like the gun.

Then release it in the preferred black and watch a bunch of them buy it again, plus all those waiting for the black version.

Brilliant.

I like the Black better myself, never much liked the 2 tone look on any guns. I also like a 26 or 19 better and doubt I'd have gotten one regardless, though they do feel pretty good in the hand.
Old August 29, 2019, 08:45 PM   #19
BillSussman

I agree with the post above. Surprised the 43X and 48, weren't released as new models where the only difference is the black slide. They have gone a little crazy lately with 9mm models.
Old September 10, 2019, 03:00 PM   #20
allenomics

The silver slide made the 43x and 48 look like a budget-priced Kahr. Not a looker. In addition to the black slide, these pistols need a G5 grip texture.
Old September 10, 2019, 06:30 PM   #21
RsqVet

Tallest --- It's been done, around 2008? CCF race frames. All metal Glock frame -- Aluminum or Stainless.

Google you can find them I am sure.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/articles.php

They were a VERY brief flash in a very hot pan. A few folks I know messed with them, to very, very limited success. In short making one run and run as well as a bone stock Glock is not a trivial matter, in fact from what I saw of them if you gave me a choice between one of them and an AMT I might pick the AMT.

Yeah really that bad.

From the troubleshooting I saw on them, replacing the flex of a polymer frame with zero flex or near zero flex of metal along with tight tolerances equaled a disaster. I am of the opinion that if one took a grander to one and loosened things up to near GI 1911 rattle trap specs it might work fine but would have defeated what folks were going for and no one would ever take me up on my offer to try.... frankly at this point if someone gave me one I'd like make it into a paperweight.
Old September 11, 2019, 07:57 AM   #22
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsqVet View Post
Tallest --- It's been done, around 2008? CCF race frames. All metal Glock frame -- Aluminum or Stainless.

Google you can find them I am sure.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/articles.php

They were a VERY brief flash in a very hot pan. A few folks I know messed with them, to very, very limited success. In short making one run and run as well as a bone stock Glock is not a trivial matter, in fact from what I saw of them if you gave me a choice between one of them and an AMT I might pick the AMT.

Yeah really that bad.

From the troubleshooting I saw on them, replacing the flex of a polymer frame with zero flex or near zero flex of metal along with tight tolerances equaled a disaster. I am of the opinion that if one took a grander to one and loosened things up to near GI 1911 rattle trap specs it might work fine but would have defeated what folks were going for and no one would ever take me up on my offer to try.... frankly at this point if someone gave me one I'd like make it into a paperweight.
Thanks! That's a lot of interesting, and slightly disappointing information. Haha!

I work in metal fab shop, and our CNC room could make one if I got the drawing, but it seems like it would be a futile, and probably frustrating endeavor.

And not that it's needed... I like my Glocks as they are.

Old September 14, 2019, 12:21 AM   #23
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

To my knowledge, no one has ever been successful long term with metal mags in Glocks. Stamped or cut sheet metal just doesn't do well with polymer catches. And over time, I don't think polymer bushings in said metal mags would be reliable.

For 15 rounds, get a G19 and think skinny!
Shield Arms went live for pre-orders a few hours ago. They are also taking orders for an aluminum magazine catch.
Old September 14, 2019, 09:19 AM   #24
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Shield Arms went live for pre-orders a few hours ago. They are also taking orders for an aluminum magazine catch.
https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag