The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 2, 2019, 09:23 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Considering our modern legal system, any gun factory chambered in a given round, WILL be safe to use with factory ammo.

SO, a 73 Winchester, if factory chambered in .357 will be safe. However that does not mean the factory made a gun that will last a hundred years without wearing out. It may only last a fraction of the round count the same action will last with a lower pressure round. But it will last long enough for the factory to not be held responsible when it does wear out.

And, of course, if you stretch the frame and oval the toggle because you're shooting handloads, the maker isn't responsible, you are.
Old September 2, 2019, 11:19 PM   #27
stagpanther

Funny you mention it fourbore, just so happens...https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-...l-henry-rifle/
Old September 3, 2019, 09:51 AM   #28
COSteve

Steve's comments about the frames stretching and the pins going south were from guns shooting factory ammo. Not the hot Corbon, Double Tap, or Buffalo Bore but the straight factory ammo like Winchester, Remington, Western, etc., so I take the concept, "If the factory made it in .357mag, it can take it." line of thinking with a grain of salt.
Old September 3, 2019, 10:55 AM   #29
ThomasT

If I wanted a 73 style lever action I would get the one in 44/40. Mike Venturino wrote an article about bringing one to Texas on a cull hunt and shot 6 deer with his in 44/40. He said every bullet was a pass through and didn't see any need for more power. Sounds good to me.

And if you already have four 45/70s I would consider something different. A new one isn't going to do anything the other 4 don't do. You already reload so a new caliber is not that big of a deal to add.

And the good thing about a lever action is there is no reason to ever lose a piece of brass.
Old September 3, 2019, 12:39 PM   #30
T. O'Heir

Hunting what? It matters, kinda. So does the kind of target shooting. A .357 can be loaded to .38 Special velocities for target shooting. The Colt, not so much.
"...a .357 magnum S&W revolver..." Doesn't compare to any rifle.
"...I would choose 44/40..." Thought that too, but the .44-40 is reputed to be somewhat difficult to reload due to the thin cases.
"...Taylor Knockout value..." All those kinds of things are mostly fairy tales.
Old September 4, 2019, 10:43 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
I would choose 44/40..." Thought that too, but the .44-40 is reputed to be somewhat difficult to reload due to the thin cases.
Once you get it figured out the 44-40 is a breeze to reload. The main thing is using the correct dies and bullets. I would go with 44-40, in fact I did.
Old September 6, 2019, 01:29 AM   #32
roscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Hunting what? It matters, kinda. So does the kind of target shooting. A .357 can be loaded to .38 Special velocities for target shooting. The Colt, not so much.
How so on the Colt .45 load? They range from piffle cowboy loads to Buffalo Bore thumpers on par with .44 mag.
Old September 9, 2019, 12:42 PM   #33
bamaranger

toggle link

I'd prepared a long and enthusiastic post about the .357 carbine, but the info on the toggle link and full house ammo rained on my parade.

Makes perfect sense and the low pressure rounds seem the only way to go in a '73 action. Well done CoSteve and others!