The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 29, 2020, 09:14 PM   #1
baddarryl

Shot for the first time since last summer today!

Hi All. I am one of those guys that goes through seasons with things. I have not been shooting much lately as the range is a little ways from home and it always seems to take more effort than it should. Today I had a job to look at near there so I took a rifle with me in case I had time. Well I did. I took my CZ 527 American in .223 which has turned out to be my favorite rifle with me. Instead of taking the farm with me I just grabbed a rifle, ammo and targets. I thought I had the rifle sighted in, but I guess forgot I changed scopes on it so I just spent the time getting her dialed in. I learned to shoot at Appleseed so prefer to shoot with a sling and no rests. At 25 meters I was able to get one ragged hole prone and a 2 inch group off hand the only time I tried that. I felt pretty good about that given that I had had several cups of coffee. It was fun and I should do it more often. Not sure of my point, I just wanted to share. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 068DA29A-1094-4344-89CC-6ADD8CB6CC38.jpeg (35.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpeg 89E861EF-5CF6-4754-B245-0B58CA34E329.jpeg (35.9 KB, 69 views)
Old February 29, 2020, 11:35 PM   #2
baddarryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine2Five View Post
Good to know you are shooting again and having fun. Great shooting
Thanks!
Old March 2, 2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Pathfinder45

Nice to know that someone else is still using a rifle with a wood stock and sling. And standing up on your hind legs like a man to shoot!
Alas, it seems to be a lost skill of a bygone era....
Season's circumstances have kept me from shooting for a while now too. But Spring is coming and I resolve to make it happen soon.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; March 2, 2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: line spacing
Old March 4, 2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Dufus

Quote:
Nice to know that someone else is still using a rifle with a wood stock and sling. And standing up on your hind legs like a man to shoot!
Alas, it seems to be a lost skill of a bygone era....
I will debate the hind legs like a man.

I shoot my 460 on my hind legs, but because of the woose factor. I have never shot it from a bench, and refuse to do so. Too hard on the shoulder and elbows.

baddarryl: glad you thought far enough ahead to compensate for your spare time.

I used to shoot like that when I was going to college. 3 times each week my classes would end at 12:15, I'd head to the range, shoot for maybe an hour and a half, then pack up and go to work.
Old March 9, 2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Shooting from your "hind legs like a man", is a Harry Pope quote. In addition to being possibly the best and most famous American riflesmith of his day, Pope was one of the best standing offhand shots who ever lived. But he wasn't shooting elephant guns. Just Schuetzen type matches during their first era of popularity, using relatively (by modern standards) mild cartridges. I have no idea whether Pope ever fired any of the 4-bores or bigger Nitro Express cartridges but assume he would have been standing if he had. The recoil pad hasn't been made that would get me to shoot one of those off the bench.

I once read a piece by (or about; I've forgotten) an African PH who got tired of newly minted safari hunters with more money than sense showing up with a new 460 Weatherby and asking him to sight the rifle in for them. He took the attitude that if they hadn't even done that, he wasn't going to take them out to unsuccessfully flinch their way through the hunt, but would loan them a .375 H&H or something a little more manageable to start out with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 9, 2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Bart B.

One day in the early 1950's when I was shooting my Winchester 70 in 270 at the local club range, an older man showed up to shoot his Wesley Richards 470 NE double rifle. He put 4 clay pigeons on the 50 yard backstop. Loaded 2 rounds then affixed 2 more in his left hand between fingers. Shouldered the rifle then fired 2 shots about 2 seconds apart. Lowered the rifle as it was opened ejecting 2 fired cases while his left hand loaded the other 2 rounds. Shouldered the rifle and fired those 2 rounds the same way.

All in about 10 seconds shattering all 4 clay's. Then he did it again.

I asked why. He said the big 5 game guide in Africa required all clients to to that.

He asked me if I would like to shoot it. I said yes so he handed me the rifle and 2 rounds. Gave it back after the first round was fired.