The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Would you buy an LCP II in .32?
Yes 35 34.31%
No 67 65.69%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15, 2018, 01:12 PM   #51
gnystrom

I completely disagree with many here who believe the LCP is junk. I have both the LCP and the LCP II and both these guns are reliable and accurate. I shoot mine on a regular basis with both factory and my handloads. Practice with these little guns is required but once one develops the skills they may find one in their back pocket wallet holster far more often than they ever thought
Old June 15, 2018, 02:34 PM   #52
Onward Allusion

Quote:
HighValleyRanch
Has anyone chronographed some loads out of their K32?
I'm interested to see how it compared to my results with my Seecamp.
Here's a link to the poor man's Seecamp and ballistics . . . It's actually quite extensive.

https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/ball-32acp/
Old June 15, 2018, 03:31 PM   #53
HighValleyRanch

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
Here's what I got for my seecamp one day in March:
Just chronographed a couple of loads today through the seecamp.
Gold dots were mild at 924 fps with 60 grain hollowpoints yielding 114 foot pounds ME.
But the Winchester FMJ 71 grains flat nose were just a wee bit hotter at 1028 and 995 for around 155 foot pounds ME. Probably what I should carry, and forget about expansion from the Speer gold dots.
NOTE: The current Winchester FMJ are flat nose not round nose FMJ. I believe that's why they will work with the Seecamp that requires a smaller OAL.
Old June 15, 2018, 04:09 PM   #54
Rangerrich99

I voted "no."

Skipping the sub-par ballistics of the .32 auto, the LCP I or II IMO should not be a primary carry weapon. For most people, the LCP is too small to get a good grip on to shoot quickly and accurately, especially one-handed. It's sights are too small to acquire quickly under stress. It's magwell is too tiny to facilitate quick reloads if necessary. I carry mine in a Nemesis holster, and even then it's danged slow to draw and get into action. The LCP I trigger can be mastered to shoot acceptable groups, but try it one-handed and on the move; my results aren't acceptable for my standards. Chambering the thing in .32 auto probably isn't going to help much.

In short, the LCP in any caliber is actually just a back-up gun, realistically limited to contact distances, say 0-5 yards. Even then, I'm probably going to end up throwing the thing at the attacker when its empty and going for my knife.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:21 PM   #55
JERRYS.

HighValleyRanch, here ya go. http://www.geocities.ws/goldenloki2/gel.html
Old June 16, 2018, 05:01 PM   #56
kenny53

http://www.ballistics101.com/380_acp.phphttp

www.ballistics101.com/32_acp.php

Hope these links work.
Old June 16, 2018, 05:02 PM   #57
kenny53

http://www.ballistics101.com/380_acp.php
Old June 16, 2018, 05:29 PM   #58
HighValleyRanch

Meaningless unless you have an idea of what gun is being used for the tests and barrel length?
Old June 16, 2018, 05:42 PM   #59
MTT TL

agreed:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/380auto.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/32auto.html

So out of a 3" barrel the 380 averages 85% more energy at the muzzle in common loadings.

Last edited by MTT TL; June 16, 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old June 16, 2018, 06:51 PM   #60
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^
and this is why one needs to chrongraph their own particular guns.
I got 980 fps plus with the 71 grain winchester from my seecamp as oppose to their 782.
But it's interesting that when I chrongraphed the Buffalobore loads, they were almost identical to what was stated on the website.
I'm at 2500 feet elevation, so not sure if that makes any difference in the FPS.

I like Buffalobore website because they use real guns to test and give you the stats from the various guns. You can see from their website that a 3" barrel can greatly vary from firearm to firearm. Ballistics by the inch doesn't say what guns they are using. I consider their information not as the "end all", but just another general comparison from which to estimate.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; June 17, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old June 16, 2018, 07:03 PM   #61
Model12Win

Mine "done busted" so probably not.
Old June 17, 2018, 03:54 AM   #62
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
I'd buy one. When the Beretta Pico was introduced at the 2013 NRA Convention, Beretta said it would come in .32 ACP & .380 ACP. I really wanted one in .32, but it never happened. I still want a .32 in the .380 frame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
[B]

The Pico was advertised to come out in 32 cal. However, that has not happened. Many of the Pico owners, myself included feel it will not happen. Why? Because the pistol is one of the most mild mannered Pocket guns made. A gun that is easy to shoot plus P or hot ammo, and a gun that is easy to shoot all day if you wanted.
To shoot 32.cal in this gun would not be much of a advantage. The Stainless steel build handles the pressures of the 380 extremely well and maybe not necessary for the 32cal. Other than the fact that the gun would last a lifetime.

The Ruger on the other hand would do well to shoot the 32. In fact the aluminum chassis, the high recoil and extreme snap, the 32. would actually be the right choice for the gun. The gun would last longer, be more enjoyable to shoot.
As far as 32. here is a great review of the caliber by Pocket Guns and Gear, Mouse gun Addict.

.32 ACP Terminal Tests

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/p/ammo-tests.html

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 17, 2018 at 04:10 AM.
Old June 18, 2018, 09:21 AM   #63
Mike Irwin
Staff

Have to say no, probably not.

Not because I don't like the .32s... I actually LOVE the .32s, both semis and revolvers, I'm just not at all crazy about how the LCP fits my hand.

Chamber an LC 9/380 size pistol, which has a larger grip length, in .32 and I'd likely be all over it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 18, 2018, 12:29 PM   #64
HighValleyRanch

I just found an old video of mine testing my brother's LCP at the range.
We were chronographing some 90 grain jhp Buffalo Bore .380 +P out of his LCP.
We got 1041, 1050, 1040 fps equalling 220 foot pounds ME.
Nice and consistent, recoil was fine, no malfunctions.
Old June 18, 2018, 01:00 PM   #65
Carl the Floor Walker

I would NOT in any way recommend anyone to shoot Plus P or any high pressure ammo out of a Ruger LCP. They are not built to do so.

Here is a very interesting review of different 32.cal defense loads. Be sure and Check out the Fiocchi. The test are done by Pocket guns and Gear/mouse gun addict which is one of my favorites.
And by the way, one of the Guns used to test was the KELTEC P32

The test may surprise you.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...2-auto-60.html
Old June 18, 2018, 07:54 PM   #66
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I would NOT in any way recommend anyone to shoot Plus P or any high pressure ammo out of a Ruger LCP. They are not built to do so.
Mighty thin chamber wall.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 19, 2018, 12:42 PM   #67
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
Have to say no, probably not.

Not because I don't like the .32s... I actually LOVE the .32s, both semis and revolvers, I'm just not at all crazy about how the LCP fits my hand.

Chamber an LC 9/380 size pistol, which has a larger grip length, in .32 and I'd likely be all over it.
I agree. That would be a great successor to the PPK.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old June 19, 2018, 01:48 PM   #68
HighValleyRanch

I missed getting a nice PP in .32. It was in the consignment case, and the price was good, but I hesitated a day or two too long and it was gone when I reconsidered. Would have been a sweet shooter. I still miss my .380 PPK I traded for a glock 26. YUK, what a tragic mistake.
I would still have that PPK, but the glock is looong gone.
Friend of mine had the PPK in .32 brought back from the war.
Old June 19, 2018, 03:47 PM   #69
peacefulgary

Sure, I would maybe buy one in .32.

After all, variety is the spice of life.
And it would probably increase the magazine capacity by 1.

Last edited by peacefulgary; June 19, 2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old June 20, 2018, 12:51 AM   #70
Ibmikey

No nor in any other caliber as I believe there are better offerings for CC than this particular Ruger example.
Old June 21, 2018, 07:33 AM   #71
Kirosha

Quote:
I don't want to rely on .22 rimfire because several times out of 100 shots, I'll get some failure that's because of rimfire ammo.
Thousands of rounds through a SR22 with no failure. I'm unsure if your experience is extraordinary or if mine is, but...

I'm of the camp that anything is better than nothing, but I try to consider ease of finding ammunition in my area as well as price. The combination makes me say, "No thanks." I feel the Five-Seven is the only pistol I'd deal with buying rare, expensive ammo for.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:50 PM   #72
9mm

No just no, 380 has pretty much replaced the 32 in the US. That's why we have a surge of small 380's and not 32, the only 32's I can think of are; the old Taurus made early 2000's, beretta tomcat?

Seems to be a lot of chatter on the net for a Ruger lcp in 22lr! I would buy one in a heart beat.
Old June 21, 2018, 02:12 PM   #73
Bill DeShivs

The Keltec P32 is still made and popular.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:48 PM   #74
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosha View Post
Thousands of rounds through a SR22 with no failure. I'm unsure if your experience is extraordinary or if mine is, but...

I'm of the camp that anything is better than nothing, but I try to consider ease of finding ammunition in my area as well as price. The combination makes me say, "No thanks." I feel the Five-Seven is the only pistol I'd deal with buying rare, expensive ammo for.
Hundreds of rounds in my SR22, several failures each range trip.

.22 LR, unless it's pricey CCI, is not reliable. In .32 centerfire I have yet to have a failure.
Old June 22, 2018, 12:30 AM   #75
Kirosha

Which one of us is the extraordinary Truth? Or a bit of both of us? I've always thought .22lr was a very reliable round if you bought decent ammo. Everyone has a dud round per "n" but I've only had duds in rifles, never in the pistol...yet.

So I do know that is extraordinary but a dud per thousand isn't unreliable in my book.

The only thing I've never had a failure in is 12 ga, and I'm sure it'll happen eventually.