The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 1999, 08:39 PM   #1
k in AR

I broke down & purchased one of the Ruger Rifles with that light weight Synthetic Stock. It is in 7.62x39 and I'm very satisfied with the sight in today. 100 yard accuracy was surprisingly good for something so small & light.

I do have one question:
This Ruger stock has the fore arm grip area as side plates. These plates are held on with 2 thru screws. The manual gives no hint of how tight these are to be.
Will tighter or looser on these screws effect accuracy? or are they low enough to not effect the barrel?
thanks, k
Old November 11, 1999, 11:17 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I may be wrong, but I don't think those screws can affect accuracy in any way. Leave them as they are.

Jim
Old November 11, 1999, 11:22 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

There are two metal inserts in the stock of the Mini14. The first, which is located in the forearm, is the forearm liner which serves to protect the stock from the gases which escape when the slide unlocks. The second is located further towards the back and is beneath the receiver. Called the Stock Reinforcement, it serves as a lockup point for the trigger group and for the magazine. Neither the Stock Reinforcement nor the locking screws affect the barrel. Ruger recommends that the two screws and washers which secure the Stock Reinforcement be "firmly tighten in position."

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited November 11, 1999).]
Old November 12, 1999, 09:17 AM   #4
WalterGAII

If you've found a Mini-30 that'll shoot a 100-yd. group smaller than a basketball, then you've found a winner. Better hold on to that baby. You don't need to put a torque wrench on those screws. Just snug-em up.
Old November 12, 1999, 11:11 AM   #5
sharpsrifle

I'm pretty sure k in AR is not talking about a mini 30. The little M77 MKII synthetic has decorative panels attached by 2 screws that go through the forend.
k in AR, you only need to snug them down so they wont fall off. They don't normally affect the stock / barrel relationship.

Idea to share:
A while back, I was experimenting with a 77/22, which uses a similar stock. I needed to widen the forend for bench work, so I made some thick wooden inserts to replace the plastic panels and attached them to a 1 X 3. This worked out very nicely.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.
Old November 12, 1999, 09:01 PM   #6
k in AR

Sharps, you are correct, I should have stated M77 MKII. Thanks to all for the replies.