The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 5, 2018, 06:08 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I had the opportunity to by an Auto Mag for $230 at one time.

Now they are worth considerably more. Even the new ones are quite a bit more.
WHAT "new" ones????

First Auto Mag I ever saw in person was $395 (a bit more than $100 more than a S&W M29). Saw that pistol go to $695 before I went in the army. In 76 I saw a pair, .44AMP and .357AMP, $895 and $795, respectively.

In 80 I saw a .44 for $995.

Then the Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movie Sudden Impact came out.

In 83 I was able to buy one, for $1500.

last time I looked, there were no "new ones" and if you could find one for sale less than $2500, it was a steal. Not sure the price today but I'm sure it hasn't gone down.

What guns will increase in value?
The one's you DIDN'T buy!!
Old April 5, 2018, 06:58 PM   #27
stephen426

Heckler & Kock P7 prices are going through the roof! I saw a P7 PSP going for $1700 with 3 days left. There were a few "limited edition" ones going for over $3000.

Original Sig P210s are around $3500 and even the re-released Legend models from Germany are gong from crazy money. I bought the new P210 Target which is available around the $1500 mark. I am pretty happy with the build and need to shot it side by side against the original version. The ergonomics are far better since it has a big beavertail (no more hammer bite), American (thumb) mag release, thumb safety (no more scratches), and nice slide release lever. The gun is a great shooter and the grip feels phenomenal. Depending on whether or not Sig plans on cranking out a whole mess of these guns, the new P210 Target might appreciate some.

People are asking $3000+ for Colt Pythons, but doesn't seem anyone is really biting.

I really doubt that 1911's will appreciate much, even fancy schmancy makers like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Custom, etc... They should retain their value and possibly appreciate slightly, but they have put out far too many guns to appreciate like crazy. Even if one of them were to fold, I think custom/semi-custom 1911s are fairly comparable.
Old April 6, 2018, 04:29 AM   #28
Targa

Saigas seem to be going for a premium due to import band. Not sure what they might get up to and if people are actually paying the prices being asked for them.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:03 AM   #29
Skans

Quote:
so you'll have to bet on which gun that today appears to be a sort of weird outlier, like the Kriss .45 or Kel-Tec RDB, will become the "it" gun of the future.
Yes, I tend to agree with this. However, I had purchased two such rifles in the past that have not increased in value that much. One was a HAC-7; the other was an Israeli HB FAL with an Israeli made SBL receiver. Both fairly rare guns, but neither has increased all that much from what I paid for them. I can see the Kriss, possibly the 10mm, being collectible.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:29 AM   #30
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
Yes, I tend to agree with this. However, I had purchased two such rifles in the past that have not increased in value that much. One was a HAC-7; the other was an Israeli HB FAL with an Israeli made SBL receiver. Both fairly rare guns, but neither has increased all that much from what I paid for them. I can see the Kriss, possibly the 10mm, being collectible.
You have to buy stuff that is either currently under priced or stuff that is not popular but will become popular in the future. I purchased a Yugo SKS about 10 years ago for $150. The market had been flooded for years with these cheap guns. Once the supply dried up the prices doubled and now they are worth about $450. Same thing happened with a Swiss K31 and Nagant revolver I bought a couple of years ago. Once supplies dried up prices increased $100 to $200 over the course of a few months.

Other guns like the Python went through spells of being impossible to sell and sat for months on dealers shelves during the 1990's. The S&W 610 was the red-headed step child of the N frame revolvers for years and eventually discontinued. This prices on those have shot through the roof and now are worth more than any of the other N frames due to their rarity.

Buying guns just because they are rare is not a good idea. There are millions of rare junk guns out there. The Kriss 10mm could become collectible only if they stopped producing them today. Anything currently being made is not going to become collectible in the near future. Buying a gun today that might be collectible 75 years from now is pointless because most of us will not be around.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:45 AM   #31
Coppershot

Sometime in the mid-90's I bought a Colt Anaconda in 45LC with a 4" tube. I paid about $700.00. I was shocked to see what they go for today. So I agree with many others; it's hard to predict.
Old April 6, 2018, 12:06 PM   #32
T. O'Heir

Collectors only want stuff that's in excellent or better condition. Preferably stuff that only a few(that being a relative term) were made. Or stuff that's BNIB, as in unfired in its original box.
Thirty plus years ago, nobody would have expected stuff like 1903A3's or Lee-Enfields to ever be worth what they are now. A Bren 10 might increase, but a Sphinx AT2000 likely will not. Not known well enough. Rarity does not always make something valuable.
Nobody wanted the HK P7 when they were new. Being a piece of junk doesn't make 'em valuable either.
Old April 6, 2018, 12:10 PM   #33
Tony Z

Which guns most likely to increase in value? Probably all those I chose not to buy!
Old April 6, 2018, 12:27 PM   #34
TrueBlue711

Like others said, hard to predict what will happen in the future. I bought an FS2000 years ago (before the Tavor came out), and now that they're no longer in production, their value is slowing going up. But the demand still isn't there for them because the Tavor is, in most people's eyes, a better bullpup. So the FS2000 has little to no supply, but also little to no demand either. Probably why they stopped production in the first place.
Old April 6, 2018, 02:00 PM   #35
Skans

I've seen prices on the German made Sig X-Fives jump through the roof as well. Also, anything Swiss made seems to continue appreciating.
Old April 6, 2018, 05:22 PM   #36
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
I just want to know if any of you see some "jems" out there that are screaming "buy me because you might not get another chance".
No.
Old April 6, 2018, 05:44 PM   #37
JERRYS.

the Sig P230 in .32acp sold for just under $400 about 10 years ago. now if you can even find one for sale its $700+
Old April 7, 2018, 04:47 PM   #38
hdwhit

Quote:
Which Guns Likely To Increase In Value?
Pretty much anything the government doesn't confiscate. The question you're really asking isn't whether or not guns will increase in value over time; but which guns will enjoy the greatest increases over time and that is much more difficult to predict.
Old April 8, 2018, 05:18 PM   #39
RickB

Do you ever watch Jay Leno's garage?
They do a segment on collector car values, and it's not about which car is worth the most, but which car has increased the most relative to what it cost new.

A Ferrari that increases from $50k to $100k is a great investment, not only because its value doubled, but because doubling is a $50k increase.
A "rising star" might go from $10k to $30k, which is, of course, a tripling in price, but a long way from a $50k increase.

A gun that nobody bought when new is "rare", but it might never become desirable.
I just sold a S&W 539 in factory nickel, only 1500 were made 35 years ago, but it has zero collectability.
I tried to buy a friend's unfired Colt Detective Special, tens of thousands were made every year for 50 years, and it's very collectible.