The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 22, 2016, 08:07 PM   #26
deerslayer303

Its a crowd pleaser for sure . I love shooting the T53 close to dusk. After the big fireball I can't see to hit any dang thing. But it sure is fun.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:16 PM   #27
Model12Win

Rich: get one now, while you still can.

They are getting harder and more expensive to find. And trust me, when you start kicking those giant fireballs down range you will be in love! The carbines are SO fun!!
Old May 22, 2016, 10:44 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I really want a M44 Boom Stick so bad that I can taste it. It's a pretty gun but the WOW factor of the round going off in that short barrel must be insane!

The 54 compared to the 39.
Depends on the load.

Some are pretty tame.
Some produce massive fireballs.

An alternative to the M44, if you are unaware, is the M38. Essentially the same rifle, but with no folding bayonet (nor the headaches that come with trying to get the rifle to shoot with the bayonet hanging off the barrel). Many examples also saw much less use than the M44s, so they're often better shooters.

I have an M38. I like it. But I'd surely sell it if the price was right. I'm not a big fan of the Mosin receiver and bolt. Mine's a freak, even. I've never fired surplus ammo in it, and it has only seen 8-12 rounds of commercial ammo since it came into my possession (2009?). Everything else has been handloaded.
Old May 23, 2016, 04:31 AM   #29
deerslayer303

Another is the 91/59. It's a 91/30 that has been cut down by the arsenal to a Carbine. I had one and like a dummy let it go.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:35 PM   #30
Rich_357

Original poster, I hope that I am not hijacking your thread. I feel that I am.

You guys are bad influences! I had been eyeing a local M44 over the weekend; it's a 1944 forced match but it's in good shape. I am now in possession of a flame shooting, crowd deafening, wall punching commie. I really hate you guys .....at least until I shoot it.

Old May 24, 2016, 05:50 AM   #31
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_357 View Post
Original poster, I hope that I am not hijacking your thread. I feel that I am.

You guys are bad influences! I had been eyeing a local M44 over the weekend; it's a 1944 forced match but it's in good shape. I am now in possession of a flame shooting, crowd deafening, wall punching commie. I really hate you guys .....at least until I shoot it.

Love the moist nuggets! Definitely going to have to get one of those M44s eventually. Make sure you post some awesome pictures shooting it with the fireball or a video

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2016, 06:38 AM   #32
deerslayer303

Nice lookin Rifle Rich! Congrats!
Old May 24, 2016, 09:49 AM   #33
Adizzle19

I've owned guns for almost 4 years now, and over the course of that time it's hard to think of any guns or ammo that hasn't increased in price: buy while you can.

My first gun I bought was a MN, $100 from a member of another forum. Not long after I bought a corrosive 440 can for another $100. By my estimation, the rifle is probably a 250-300$ Piece and the ammo is probably close to 150. It's a similar story with a lot of the guns and ammo I own, and they aren't particularly impressive or rare items. I always hear about the days of the 69$ SKS...where have those gone?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:00 PM   #34
highpower3006

Quote:
I've owned guns for almost 4 years now, and over the course of that time it's hard to think of any guns or ammo that hasn't increased in price: buy while you can.
I have owned guns for over ten times that long and have watched the prices climb on certain guns to insane levels. While Mosins aren't the prettiest of the surplus guns, they are still plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Even the ammo at .50 a round for the commercial stuff isn't really all that bad.

Warning! Off topic a bit:
If you want to shoot fireballs that can be seen in the daylight, try a AK with a 10" barrel. I bet if you shot one inside a room, it would melt the paint off the walls.

Old May 24, 2016, 11:12 PM   #35
Rich_357

Thanks guys and will do. My friend is itching to shoot the Yugo. SO...my plan is to let him put a few rounds through it and then hand over the little M44. "Here, see what you think of this." I'll make sure that he has adequate ear protection!

BTW..SOG currently has the M44 in stock if anyone is interested.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/longg...62x54-cal.html

Last edited by Rich_357; May 25, 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old June 1, 2016, 12:47 AM   #36
Mausermolt

no need to apologize for the hijacking of the thread! its a gun forum...we never get off topic...maybe wander a bit but never off guns

The Ukraine comment was an interesting one. i never thought all the turmoil going on over there (which hasn't ceased in like 2 thousand years anyway) would affect our shooting hobbies over here.

speaking of moist nuggets..i just picked up a beaut of a M39 from Classic.

dangit...got to go buy some spendy ammo, or fire up the Rockchuker to make her come to life i suppose.