The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 15, 2015, 07:32 AM   #26
MrBorland

Excellent! I'm glad it's gonna work out for you.

I get warm fuzzies from a good target from a good revolver, too.

Just a piece of advice on shooting anything shorter than .327Fed, though: Keep the chambers clean. Heavy deposits of crud just in front of a shorter case mouth can make chambering longer rounds difficult. You don't have to go to heroic efforts to get rid of that crud ring if you get in the habit of cleaning the chambers regularly. Just a patch of solvent, then a few swipes with a brush, then a dry patch ought to be enough to keep them clean enough.
Old March 15, 2015, 10:57 AM   #27
Nick_C_S

Your gun definitely looks like it has been fired now

Nice shooting. Make some good target rounds and have fun.
Old March 15, 2015, 02:06 PM   #28
McCarthy

Quote:
Your gun definitely looks like it has been fired now
That Serbian PPU ammo is a real dirty bastard. Combine that with the bad ventilation system at this indoor range...

Next time I'll be at the outdoor range with my own loads. I HATE indoor ranges. Too loud, bad air, chrono doesn't work, usually less safety, caliber and ammo limitations, wobbly targets on a string. Not my world.

@MrBorland

Thanks for all the input. I clean all my guns after each trip to the range.
Old March 16, 2015, 11:26 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

I've never shot at an indoor range. Probably never will. Seems kind of snooty for my liking.

Bullseye leaves lots of residue behind too. And in revolvers, it gets all over your hands from reloading, etc. The stuff is messy. Probably worse than PPU ammo.
Old March 17, 2015, 03:26 AM   #30
McCarthy

What would be a clean and accurate powder for .32 long?
Old March 17, 2015, 09:05 AM   #31
MrBorland

bullseye and a lead wadcutter will likely be your most accurate load. It's been a standard for a long time for good reason. It's gonna be dirty, though. You could try W231/HP38, as that often gives good results, too, and might be a bit cleaner. Smoke is mostly from the use of lead bullets.

When I shot target loads like this, I always tried to remember to throw a box of hand wipes in my range bag. I don't mind cleaning the gun afterward (it's gonna get cleaned anyway), as much I don't like getting filth on everything I touched.
Old March 18, 2015, 12:26 AM   #32
Nick_C_S

Everything MrBorland just said.

I use DEWC's from Missouri Bullet Co. It seems to matter not what propellant is under them, in terms of accuracy (within reason, of course). MoBuCo makes bullets for 32's - although not a DEWC. I'm sure they shoot straight.

Getting back to the powders: I usually use Bullseye because its consistency can't be beat. But it is messy stuff. Like MrBorland said, W231/HP38 works great too; and it's cleaner. I load lots of both. I guess it just depends on my mood as to which one I grab and take to the range that day. And to further add to my confusion, I have also successfully worked up loads using Accurate Arms Nitro 100. The stuff is so clean, it makes W231 seem like Bullseye Oh, and I've also worked up fantastic target rounds with AA#2 as well - but I reserve my AA#2 for semi-auto loads; particularly 9mm.

Like I've said before, at least in the 38 Special world, once you find the right bullet (and lead is best for accuracy - but that's another post), the propellant is hardly even significant. Any powder in the right burn rate range will likely yield good consistent straight shooters.
Old March 19, 2015, 05:23 AM   #33
darkgael

Bookd

Quote:
The book "Pistol Shooters Treasury" is not in print-production anymore and used ones go for $90+
Yeah. And....so?
How much do you have invested in your guns? In ammo? (How much more will you spend on ammo?). How much invested in reloading equipment? In components?
Invest a bit in developing your skills.
Old March 19, 2015, 08:44 AM   #34
MrBorland

Amazon has The Pistol Shooters' Treasury for well under $90. There's one listed for $24:

And a quick Google search takes me to a copy at Larry's Guns for just $6.95. Can that be right?

BTW, another book well worth getting, IMO, is Lanny Bassham's With Winning in Mind. A lot of shooting well is just getting your head in the right place and avoiding self-liming narratives, at and away from the range. If I were to choose 2 books on executing the good shot, these would be my picks.
Old March 19, 2015, 10:48 PM   #35
darkgael

books

In addition to the two classics already mentioned, there is the definitive "Competitive Shooting" by A.A. Yur'Yev and Ragnar Skanakar's "Pistol Shooting".

Also...try this article by Brian Zins:
http://www.brianzins.com/2010/06/11/grip/

Last edited by darkgael; March 20, 2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old March 21, 2015, 10:07 AM   #36
jason.jardine72

Just sold my best of all time trainer pistol has the same grip as the 1911 it was the Ruger mark lll hunter target stainless 4.5 inch hunter target stainless steel 850 made Ade discontinued I bought it 5 years ago solid stainless the rest are junk except for the second best 22 in existence browning buckmark !! P.S I trained 20 people on that ruger shot the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- out of it and sold it 5 years later for 200 more 5 Han I paid good gun!!