The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2010, 03:08 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Pro gun people want to see High blue bars"

I beg your pardon?

High blue bar means high crime rate, no?

Why on earth would gun owners want to see high blue bars?

As a gun owner, I'd MUCH rather see low red bars AND low blue bars.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:45 PM   #27
MTT TL

Quote:
Not much of a correlation either way but it looks like it is safe to say that the Brady campaigns ideas and their rating system does nothing to influence the rates of violent crime in a state.
True enough, but the "average" rank for crime for the Brady States was 25 vs. 33 for the free states.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:50 PM   #28
JDTech

graph problems

One thing to consider....If your graph is just general "crime" then there is automatically no real relation between your two statistics. What you need is the "rank score" vs. "gun related crimes" and also maybe "gun related deaths" or "crime related shootings" cause not all crime involves guns and not all shootings involve a crime....just my 2 cents....kthxbye.

Last edited by JDTech; February 19, 2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old February 19, 2010, 05:42 PM   #29
nopants

Quote:
"Pro gun people want to see High blue bars"

I beg your pardon?

High blue bar means high crime rate, no?

Why on earth would gun owners want to see high blue bars?

As a gun owner, I'd MUCH rather see low red bars AND low blue bars.
Actually, the height of the blue bar makes little difference, as you will always have one high and one low, with the rest in the middle. Its a simple ranking of states. That comment was a typo on my part, due to not thinking it through. With this in mind, a better way to make the graph would not be with state rankings, but with the actual crime rate per 100k people. That would be an easier visual comparison.

Quote:
One thing to consider....If your graph is just general "crime" then there is automatically no real relation between your two statistics. What you need is the "rank score" vs. "gun related crimes" and also maybe "gun related deaths" or "crime related shootings" cause not all crime involves guns and not all shootings involve a crime....just my 2 cents....kthxbye.
If you want to make one that compares those figures, go for it. I personally wanted to see how general crime rate compared to Brady scores. Turns out, there is very little correlation.
Old February 19, 2010, 06:05 PM   #30
Bluesfan

missouri is good
Old February 19, 2010, 06:09 PM   #31
CCGS

Quote:
Missouri is good
Yep. But you should see what we have to go through to get a box of tylenol sinus from the drug store... stupid crackheads...
Old February 20, 2010, 12:27 AM   #32
svaz

Quote:
One thing to consider....If your graph is just general "crime" then there is automatically no real relation between your two statistics.
Also, one might consider city vs. rural. Hell, in AZ I'd wager half our population is in a handful of cities. Those of us in small towns experience a heck of a lot less crime than, say Phoenix, and I'd bet dollars to donuts we have more guns per capita.

Guns don't kill people, people living all squashed together like ants kill people - just ain't natural is all I'm saying.