The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2009, 08:49 AM   #1
KC Rob

Hornady LnL Bushings

What presses work with the LnL bushings? I know that the RCBS Rock Chucker does and the Lee Classic. Any others? In particular I am curious about the Lee Reloader ($20 dollar C frame press) and the Lee Breech Lock. The Breech Lock press says it has some kind of quick change bushing system so I am assuming that it will accept the 1 1/4 LnL bushing but I can't find a confirmation of that. I am asking because I am thinking it would be nice to have a second (or third) press set up to do depriming or priming to free up my main press for other functions. Also, I bought a Hornady Powder measuer, and it doesn't come with any mounting options so I looking at having to drop another $30 bucks or so for a powder measure stand. Would spending that $30 on an inexpensive press like the Breech Lock be better served and could I mount that power measure on that press or is that an impractical way to dispense powder?
Old January 8, 2009, 08:56 AM   #2
DEDON45

I don't believe the Lee Breech Lock press would accept the LNL bushings, they use interrupted threads on the Breech lock, whilst the LNL bushings use 12 lugs. I'd take a look at the RCBS RockChucker or the Hornady LnL Classic (I have that one).
Old January 8, 2009, 08:58 AM   #3
DEDON45

Oh, and I do use a LNL bushing on a powder measure to mount it on the press, more convenient for me (instead of permanently bolting the powder measure to the bench), when I charge with powder when doing precision rounds -- I also have a LnL AP which I use for loading bulk ammo.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:26 PM   #4
KC Rob

You are right about the Breech Lock, after looking into it more I see that it wouldn't accept the LnL bushings. I also own a LnL Classic, but I was looking to get a couple cheaper presses for handling some other functions.

About the powder measure on the press, do you have it set up some how to dispense by operating the press, or is it just to hold it there while you dispense manually? I am referring to the Classic, I don't own a progressive.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

LNL press conversion bushing will fit the RCBS RC series presses, LNL Classic (comes with it), Lee Classic Cast, Redding Big Boss, Big Boss II and Ultramag. Of these, only the Lee CC, Redding BBII and UltraMag have effective spent primer handling.

You can mount your PM on your press and just use it manually (i.e. not operating the press). You can also use Lyman's Powder Through Expander die and mount the press on top of that so that you can expand pistol case mouths while also manually operating the PM. Finally, RCBS and Hornady both offer case activated linkages that will automatically operate their PMs. Hornady also offers PTEs that work with their case activated linkage.

For convenience and space savings, I put a Forster lock ring on my Uniflow QC PM, and snap it into my Forster co-ax to use manually. Because of the over the top press handle, I can't use a PTE and/or case activated linkage, but it is still more convenient than a separate stand. The only down side is occasional powder granules on my press.

Andy