The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 21, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Mississippi

Colt ARs

Recently I have seen these budget colt ARs in the shops....I believe they are called the expanse line. I am not an AR aficionado though I carried a MK18 in the Navy and have several personal piston and DI 556's and 7.62x51's.

What I mean is I am not totally hip to the nuances that make a Colt LE 6940 and Expanse 400-$500 apart in price. Again, I have several ARs with features I want, but I'm not a colt expert.
Old September 21, 2017, 07:09 PM   #2
PatientWolf

You may want to seek answers in the semi-automatic sub-forum rather than the Bolt, lever, pump sub-forum.
Old September 21, 2017, 09:30 PM   #3
std7mag

Teacher!!!

He's in the wrong room!!!

Lol
Old September 22, 2017, 04:11 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

The budget line is not made by Colt. They are licensed.

Does that help?
Old September 22, 2017, 10:41 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

moved to semi auto...
Old September 22, 2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Fishbed77

Considering that the 6920 OEM rifles can be found for ~$100 (or less) more than the Expanse rifles, it make the Expanse rifles pretty pointless.
Old September 22, 2017, 11:24 AM   #7
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Considering that the 6920 OEM rifles can be found for ~$100 (or less) more than the Expanse rifles, it make the Expanse rifles pretty pointless.
The Expanse was released before the bottom completely dropped out of the AR15 market. It was already priced close to the cost of its production vs the 6920 which had margin which has now been eroded.

I agree if you can get a 6920 for a $100 more than the Expanse the 6920 is a no brainer.
Old September 22, 2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Mississippi

Thanks for moving this thread 44....I accidentally put this in the wrong room.

Anyway, yea I was wondering why these "Colt" expanses were showing up and I have found them for like $600 or so. I just couldn't imagine that the price point could be brought down that much if the primary components were exactly the same as the regular "LE" line. Such as the bcg, the barrel, etc etc.

I am actually a bit surprised that colt would do this....I realize there are competitors in the $600 AR space, but most people recognize that a Del-Ton or whatever, though perfectly fine for most applications, isn't a Danial Defense.

Anyway, I just found it strange to dilute the brand, such that now, you can't just say "colt", you have to specify make and model...which is the same as other companies who have budget lines and premium lines.

But I guess from some of the posts below, the Expanse was going to be the answer to the "If hillary had won" panic buy huh? But, she didn't, the bottom has fallen out of the AR market, so the expanse became a pointless endeavor?
Old September 22, 2017, 08:37 PM   #9
GLK

I would personally avoid Colt Expanse & Colt competition. Legit 6920s as low as $699.00 delivered can be found if that is ones priority and they look daily or more. Below is one heck of a deal.
https://grabagun.com/colt-firearms-t...5-56mm-16.html
Old September 22, 2017, 08:45 PM   #10
Mississippi

Yeah, I don't really need another AR....but I'm thinking about getting a pinned 6921ck because of how cheap they are....as a no frills, carry handle carbine.
Old September 22, 2017, 09:41 PM   #11
GLK

Or this crazy good deal.
https://www.gundeals.com/colt-le6920...rked-5-56-nato
Old September 23, 2017, 07:39 AM   #12
agtman

Yeah, GLK is right. There are stupid-good deals to be had right now on top tier ARs, including Colts. The bottom on the AR market (and the markets of AR-related products & 223/5.56 ammo) has been falling since the election. The pricing reflects that now, perhaps better than at any previous time, due to the pre-election anticipation of a Hillcrat win (and thus the threat of a semi-auto ban in some form, or at least more regs), which in turn cranked up the industry to get ARs made and sold as fast as possible.

Then The Donald won ... As was pointed out, I've seen 6920s sitting on my LGS shelves for about $700.

Additionally, optics, mounts, and AR-components - like aftermarket stocks, grips, rails, etc., - are all plentiful and priced to move if you want to customize your new rifle's set-up.
Old September 24, 2017, 01:08 PM   #13
Mississippi

I think it would be kind of cool to make a rifle like I carried in the Navy. I carried a very early version of the Mk18.
It was a colt M4 with a shorter barrel and carbean length gas/handguards. I had an aimpoint red dot, a fixed front sight post, a flip up rear sight. Stubby foregrip, and a tac light.
I was boarding ships during MIO in the red , and Mediterranean seas. And one tour of drug ops in the gulf of Mexico.
I think the newer M18's have shorter barrels than I had, but honestly in a rifle cartridge I wouldn't want to neuter

Anyway, I can't get a burst fire version obviously, but I can get it setup pretty much the same otherwise. And at these prices, now seems like a good time
Old September 25, 2017, 10:44 PM   #14
Mississippi

Change of plans. I decided to buy a Daniel Defense complete rifle with 14.5" 1:7 CHF chrome lined barrel and pinned/welded surfire muzzle device making it 16.1" (and I could get the surfire can to go on it if I want).
DD complete BCG, DD mk 18 rails, Troy flip up sights. Mid length gas. All mil spec, tested blah blah blah.
And a DD complete lower with DD factory trigger.

Total cost
$990.

While Colts are a good deal right now, I liked the DD rifle better. And $990 for that appears to be a good deal . But, I still may get a LE6920 and give my Stag Model 2 to my financially strapped brother who can't afford one right now.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:11 PM   #15
marine6680

DD rifles are the better rifle between DD and Colt...

Where did you find a DD for under $1300?! I have never seen a new one for less than that.

Is it used, or a basic carbine configuration? Though I never seen a "basic" DD rifle.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:26 PM   #16
Mississippi

Quote:
DD rifles are the better rifle between DD and Colt...

Where did you find a DD for under $1300?! I have never seen a new one for less than that.
It is a "used" safe queen. The bcg and bolt guide rails arnt even scuffed. The Upper alone was over $1250.

I couldn't pass it up because it was the exact configuration I wanted, setup like I want. I already have the aimpoint, light, and foregrip I want for it.

It is my pure defensive battle rifle 556 similar to my service rifle I carried. I will keep the mil spec trigger in it because they are absolutely reliable

I have a match/varmint AR already, and a 1:9 Stag plinker, plus an AR-10.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:33 PM   #17
hdwhit

Quote:
Mississippi wrote:
...most people recognize that a Del-Ton or whatever, though perfectly fine for most applications, isn't a Danial Defense.
Really?

How many of them have even seen a Daniel Defense rifle?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, I just want to point out that there are tens - perhaps hundreds - of thousands of people who are (were) buying ARs because of the fear that they wouldn't be able to do so tomorrow and I suspect most of them couldn't tell you the difference(s) between a Colt, a Daniel Defense, a Ruger or a Del-Ton except for the price. What they were looking for was a gun that would go bang and then feed the next round from whomever could deliver it at a price point they could afford.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:38 PM   #18
Mississippi

Quote:
Really?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, I just want to point out that there are tens - perhaps hundreds - of thousands of people who are (were) buying ARs because of the fear that they wouldn't be able to do so tomorrow and I suspect most of them couldn't tell you the difference(s) between a Colt, a Daniel Defense, a Ruger or a Del-Ton except for the price. What they were looking for was a gun that would go bang and then feed the next round from whomever could deliver it at a price point they could afford.
Hey, absolutely!!! I agree. I will never knock someone who does what they do for whatever financial reason.

I suppose I should have said folks who know a good bit about different AR manufactures and the tolerances, etc know etc etc.

I was one of those people you mentioned back in graduate school...it is how I aquired a Stag, it was available, and within my budget. At the time colts were $400 more and I couldn't afford it. I just used the iron sights for 2 yrs because I couldn't afford a red dot or scope.
Old September 26, 2017, 03:15 PM   #19
GLK

I've had a few Stag uppers I was actually quite impressed with them. AS a left eye & handed shooter I went with Stag early on and have never had any issues. My most recent Stag upper even comes with all the tier 1 boxes checked .
Old September 26, 2017, 09:45 PM   #20
Mississippi

Stags are decent. They are better than many, worse than others. They are all around decent rifles. But I wanted a full blown battle rifle. The stag I have doesn't have all the cool guy features that some models do. Mine has a 4140 chrome lined 1:9 barrel
.I am topping the Daniel Defense m4gery with an aimpoint compM4